Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0642  (Read 1363 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0642
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0642
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:34:11 AM »
I always enjoy a good seance on DS, and this was one of the more interesting ones, even without the participation of Barnabas and Julia.

Has a thread been done on "The DS Seances 1966-1971"? Which episode, who attended, which spirits spoke, who they spoke through, did someone die at the seance, what was the outcome, etc.  I do recall one seance in 1897 where [spoiler]the girl ended up as a skeleton when all was said and done: Wanda? That really scared me back in '69 when I was still a kid.[/spoiler]

I'm enjoying the nice chemistry between Chris and Carolyn - particularly since she got the short end of the deal in her last relationship with FrankenAdam... and yet, this new one doesn't bode well either. Memo to Carolyn: find a boyfriend who isn't cursed, stitched up, or locked in a room. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:43:34 AM »
I always enjoy a good seance on DS. Has a thread been done on "The DS Seances 1966-1971"? Which episode, who attended, which spirits spoke, who they spoke through, did someone die at the seance, what was the outcome, etc.  I do recall one seance in 1897 where [spoiler]the girl ended up as a skeleton when all was said and done: Wanda? That really scared me back in '69 when I was still a kid.[/spoiler]

Wasn't the girl turned into a skelton trying [spoiler]to master the I-Ching? for Petofi?[/spoiler]

I was thinking of starting a seance thread as well.  I just saw my favorite DS seance[spoiler] to date the other day and in fact it was the very FIRST seance that was done.  Mine occurs during the Laura story! The two eps it stretched across had me on the edge of my seat![/spoiler]

More Chris and Carolyn. CRAZY!  [spoiler]Cosins dating~~~albeit distant!  I remember on 90210 one of the outsiders referred to them as a very incestuous group.  I think the DS group is as well![/spoiler]  [ghost_tongue2] I don't like Besty Durkin's flip at all.  It pales in com parsion to AM's GLORIOUS pregnancy hair!  Just shiny!  It looked like it smelled so good too!  She just glowed at that time.

Terror At Collinwood is playing .  This time Victoria, [spoiler]the one who spoke during the first seance,[/spoiler] takes part, which is cool because her arc is giving way to another flashback, something her character first introduced us too!   I for one was fooled because I thought that Peter or Josette would speak but no we get someone named Magda. JB plays it for real.  She is good and has gotten more comfortable as the show has aged while doing this crazy crazy daytime experiment.  "If there is a spirit here tell us who you are and why u are here?" PS...Joan Bennett looks every bit the Hollywood DIVA!!  "You must stop him!" Carolyn  "You must stop them. He must stay where he is!"  "What's your name?" Stokes   "Magda" Carolyn [wave] Magda! 

GREAT EPISODE!  A+
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »
Wasn't the girl turned into a skeleton trying [spoiler]to master the I-Ching? for Petofi?[/spoiler]
Yes, indeed, that's right, Taeylor. That scared me a lot, too, when I was a kid, and I was 14. [ghost_shocked]

I loved the seance! [ghost_smiley] Of course, I know now who Magda was, because I saw the 1897 storyline. But this episode was the first mention of her. [milestone] Chris stopped the seance because he thought Magda's ghost was talking about him instead of who she really was talking about: [spoiler]Quentin's ghost.[/spoiler] Actually, this seance reminds me of the one that [spoiler]Barnabas [/spoiler]stopped. [ghost_wink]

I like the chemistry between Chris and Carolyn, too. [spoiler]Too bad they're distant cousins,[/spoiler] although the werewolf thing was worse. [ghost_tongue] 

That was neat when the spectre of Peter appeared in Vicki's room. This was proof that Vicki wasn't crazy.  [ghost_grin]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
I think today's séance may well have strayed into the show from parallel time.  How else explain the fact that it completely matches what we learn months later?   By rights the storyline should have changed so radically within a couple of weeks of this séance - through actors leaving, Dan Curtis having a ghastly brainstorm that sent the series on an entirely new and wildly unpopular tangent, and/or some act of the Great God Ra - that we should have had multiple mile-long topics in this forum asking “Who was Magda, anyway?”  And knowledgeable answers from MB patiently explaining that she was to have been Angelique's wicked stepmother, played by Alexandra Moltke in a surprise return to the show.

I think the Widows Hill set is the worst in the whole series.  I simply cannot believe that we are on a cliff above the sea.  And there's Betsy Durkin emoting away because Vicky is heartbroken over the loss of Jeff Clark.  It's not Dark Shadows's finest hour.

The astral projection didn't do much for me either.  When Vicky said, "It's Jeff! It's Jeff!" I thought, "and he's got blue hair!"

Fine séance, however.  Professor Stokes makes a great emcee.  [spoiler]I feel sorry for Magda, still tangled up with the Collinses long after she died.[/spoiler]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
I like the chemistry between Chris and Carolyn, too. [spoiler]Too bad they're distant cousins, although the werewolf thing was worse. [ghost_tongue]
[spoiler]Pretty distantly related cousins by this time though, yes?  Had things gone a different way, I don't see any reason why they would have been denied a marriage license.  It's not like they were brother and sister or first cousins. [ghost_tongue2][/spoiler]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
1897 is unique in that everything mentioned prior to it in the present actually did happen (going all the way to the very last episode of 1897!)

[spoiler] Could Quentin's ghost have actually been created by Petofi via Charles Tate to lure Barnabas into the past? That would explain people remembering Quentin's haunting in the present after his death was prevented. [/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »
Your spoilery idea is fascinating, Joeytrom!  Offhand I don't think your suggested perpetrator would have been capable of the deed. If he had been, I think he could have done some other things differently as well.  But I've learned not to reject ideas outright anymore.  I'll have to think about this one.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
I love the episodes where they're holding a seance. My personal favorite is when [spoiler] the family gathers around to contact Sarah's spirit. Instead, Vicki gets thrown back into the past, to 1795. [/spoiler]

I honestly thought Magda's spirit was trying to name Chris, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes that she actually wants to warn them about [spoiler] the ghost of Quentin and all the trouble he's about to inflict.
In life she saw all the trouble he was capable of doing and the heartbreak he could caused, especially when it came to her sister and his wife, Jenny. She knew he was equally as capable of destruction after death, too, and indeed he was. [/spoiler]

I won't go on about Betsy Durkin anymore, so I'll just comment on Chris and Carolyn. I love their scenes together and to be honest much more than any scene between her and Adam (though I did think some of the scenes between Adam and Carolyn were sweet and touching). [spoiler] If they weren't distantly related [/spoiler] and if it weren't for Chris's secret, I think they could have been really great together.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
I think when I first saw this [spoiler]I has already seen part of 1897 and had read a lot of the synopses of that storyline on darkshadows.com[/spoiler]so I had a good idea that who Magda was really talking about.  Chris' reaction is understandable, especially in light of the conversation he and Carolyn had been having prior to the seance.

Did everyone catch JB breaking the circle when she started and said that a woman's hand had touched her (you could see at the bottom of the screen, she's put her had to her throat in alarm. [hall2_grin]

Apart from Chris' curse, I am still not seeing why he and Carolyn could not have had a relationship. [spoiler] They ARE distantly related, but that is the operative word, distant.[/spoiler]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 03:19:55 AM »
Carolyn and Chris do make a nice couple.

They were [spoiler]very distant cousins. Distant cousins, still marry.[/spoiler]

I wonder who performs more seances in Dark Shadows.

NB did a great job today. Vickie was just being a pain.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »
I so wanted that blue light to take Vicki away from Collinwood. I can't stand how Betsy Durkin yells for Jeff... [devil2]

Anyway, I was expecting Quentin or Jeff in the seance. So that was a mild suprise for me.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books