Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0640  (Read 2000 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0640
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0640
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:29 PM »
Today we got our first look at the werewolf.  The transformation wasn't anything to write home about; later the cast and crew got better at it with practise.  But the creature's entrance into The Blue Whale, shattering the window, was very satisfying.  And he made a wise choice of venue: if he had crashed into The Toolshed Bar and Grill, I'm betting nobody would have noticed.  One question has always bothered me: if he was supposed to look like a wolf, why did he have such a stubby nose?

At first glance, Carolyn's dress looked as though it was made out of the same material as the bedspread on Amy's bed, but on closer inspection, I decided the pattern was slightly different, even if the colors were the same.  This is not a complaint: I liked the colors.

Betsy Durkin's Vicky is warmer with children than Alexandra Moltke's Vicky was, and I like that.  If they had just given Betsy Durkin a little more time, I think she would have worked out - but then, I'm biased, because (the secret comes out!) I was not a fan of Moltke's Vicky.

Gosh, what family feeling Amy has!
[spoiler]If only she knew that Quentin was her great-grandfather, she would move into that storage room in the West Wing and never leave.[/spoiler]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
Sorry, Lydia, I have to disagree with you that Alexandra wasn't very warm with children. I think she was VERY warm with the child actors she worked with, especially David Henesy. I loved the rapport they had between them. True, at the beginning David was the child from hell because he resented Vicki so much, but she was very patient with him, and I think Alexandra conveyed that very well. Vicki's patience was rewarded because David did grow closer to her as time went on.

As for Betsy eventually winning over the audience over time if given a chance....maybe, maybe not. We will never know. Frankly, I think they should have hired Carolyn Groves first... now there I think maybe the audience might have gotten used to a new Vicki. I liked her more than Betsy (sorry!). Or even Kate Jackson, whose Daphne Harridge reminds me so much of Vicki from the first year.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »
Back to the episode....I admit, I did like the scene between Betsy's Vicki and Amy. It was cute and sweet. Though I can't blame Vicki for being a little startled when Amy mentioned Tom. She probably had nightmares about Tom's intrusion into her room.

Carolyn and Chris made a cute couple. I wonder though if [spoiler] they hadn't written Chris to turn out to be a descendent of Quentin's and if Chris HAD found a cure for his curse, if only Sabrina hadn't turned up and if Don Briscoe hadn't gotten sacked later on if they could have had a chance. [/spoiler] Probably not, since this IS DS after all. Happy endings aren't exactly the norm on here.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »
[spoiler]If only she knew that Quentin was her great-grandfather, she would move into that storage room in the West Wing and never leave.[/spoiler]
That reminds me of a line from one of these episodes (possibly this very one, but I'm too lazy too look it up). Anyway, [spoiler]David is complaining because Quentin talks to Amy on the phone but not to him, pointing out that "Quentin Collins is my ancestor!" Knowing what we know after seeing the entire series through, that line is pretty ironic. [ghost_cheesy][/spoiler]

David and Amy's kiddie seance is cute!

Another great scene here between Chris and Amy that, I think, rivals the one where he visits her at Wyndcliff. It's really heartwrenching when she's begging to stay with him at least one night, then looks up at him and accuses, "You don't want me!" Then when she angrily shoves Chris off when he tries to hug her... [ghost_sad]

I agree that Chris and Carolyn make a cute couple. But, alas...

This episode is full of glorious firsts. Milestones, if you will - but I would NEVER presume to take over EmeraldRose's position as the Official Milestone Poster. [ghost_grin] But I can hardly contain my excitement! We're really getting into the good stuff here, in my opinion!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 01:56:40 AM »
No worries, Joy Collins-- it's cool for anyone to point out milestones.  [ghost_cool]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
David of all people telling Amy they aren't allowed somewhere! LOL  And how strange and sad that Amy cuddles the phone the way she does after her scene with Chris.  She's already grown attached to the voice she's heard on the phone only twice. Spooky.

BD didn't annoy this episode.  I had a glimmer of hope that she might work out.  I like seeing her in a belted dress, instead of those frumpy A-lines.

Forgive me, is this the first time that Chris and Carolyn have mete (since the character showed back up in the show that is)?  They talk and act like there was some past mutual attraction.

Until her untimely demise, I am guessing from the Barmaid's outfit, she must moonlight (no pun intended) at the Blue Whale after her regular job at the Collinsport Inn Diner?  [ghost_wink] 

The change is extremely basic, but for me, the worst part is that I can't get out of my mind the What's My Line segment with Alex Stevens in full Wolf make up!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
OK, here's the milestones! [ghost_wink] This was the first time we saw Chris change into a werewolf. [milestone] Also, this episode had the first "kiddie seance". [milestone] This was the first time that Chris saw a pentagram on someone else's face. [milestone] First time Carolyn and Chris went on a "date". [milestone] First time we saw the werewolf attack a woman. [milestone]

As Robin said, when Chris picked up Amy, her dress flew up and we could see her white underwear. That was definitely a blooper! [signerror] One of the hazards of wearing miniskirts. [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
EmeraldRose, I hope you get a discount for quantity on those milestones, because you're sure going through a lot of them these days!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
LOL, Lydia! [ghost_cheesy] More about this fantastic episode. I, too, loved the way Vicki was with Amy. I agree, the "kiddie seance" was cute. [ghost_wink]

One thing that bothers me is that Amy said Chris was her only relative. But they forgot about Joe, who was her and Chris's cousin. [ghost_undecided]

The end was very exciting! [shkdg] I agree that Chris's transformation wasn't very good in this episode, but it was still thrilling. And then, when the werewolf smashed the window! Wow! [wow] So scary to watch the unfortunate barmaid being attacked! [ghost_shocked]

Oh, I just thought of another milestone - the first time the werewolf crashed through a window. [milestone] Another milestone: the first time we saw a barmaid at the Blue Whale in "present" time. [milestone]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
her dress flew up and we could see her white underwear. That was definitely a blooper!
Don't you mean "bloomer"?  [a1f5]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 02:53:02 AM »
I can imagine, if maybe Magda had come to kids earlier things could have changed.

I guess the kids at Collinwood can plaly with the fire and light candles. But in many ways they treat the kids like adults and Amy is wise beyond her years.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »
I liked the character of Amy. The way she cradled that phone made her look very disturb. Disturb in such way that she might have some deep psychological issues. Which is understable.   [BOO]

I think New Vickie works better with the kids for once reason, her voice. Betsy Durkin talks in this one pitch, there isn't any variation in the tone of her voice. Not enough colors so to speak. So most of the time her acting is hurt by that. However, when talking to the children that one pitch works. She sounds like some stereotypical Nanny.

I am totally confused about the pentagram on the barmaid face!! [devil2]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books