Author Topic: Regarding Mr. Marvin & Mr. Ryan  (Read 725 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Regarding Mr. Marvin & Mr. Ryan
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
Hey, gang,

I wanted to recommend a new biography on the life of the iconic film actor Lee Marvin, entitled "Lee Marvin: Point Blank," by Dwayne Epstein.  In the book, Mr. Epstein chronicles Mr. Marvin's early life (including his distinguished military service as a 20-year-old U.S. Marine during World War II in the Pacific) and Mr. Marvin's extensive television and film career.   Usually a tough guy in films, Mr. Marvin ironically won Best Actor at the Academy Awards for his performance as the uproariously funny gunslinger "Kid Shellen" in "Cat Ballou," along with the beautiful and (still at that time) rather "low-keyed" Jane Fonda.

In 1970, Mr. Marvin starred as an aging cowboy in a film entitled "Monte Walsh," along with Jack Palance, the perpetually sexy Jeanne Moreau, and also with "Dark Shadows" alumnus Mitchell Ryan, who portrayed Shorty Austin, one of Monte Walsh's fellow cowboys, who eventually turns outlaw.

According to author Dwayne Epstein, Lee Marvin and Mitchell Ryan became good friends during the filming of "Monte Walsh."   Apparently, they remained good friends, and were known to "occasionally kick back a few together," right up until Mr. Marvin's untimely death at the age of 63 in 1987.   The author points out that Mr. Ryan secured the role of Shorty Austin in "Monte Walsh" on the favorable impression he had made on the film's producers, who had seen him perform on stage on Broadway in New York several years before (and, I guess, during the same time he had also portrayed Burke Devlin on "Dark Shadows").

If you liked Lee Marvin as an actor, and would also like to read about something Mitchell Ryan's post-"Dark Shadows" career, I think that you'll enjoy reading this excellent biography.

Bob         

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Mr. Marvin & Mr. Ryan
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:01:46 AM »
Thanx for the recommendation.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
I always though Mitch Ryan was a strong actor and was sorry about his departure from DS. Am glad he revived his career and has proven longevity as an actor.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:42:09 AM »
apologies if this is too off-topic but...

I've been watching 'dallas' on dvd(I do love an old soap)and there is an episode in season eight featuring both mitch ryan and dennis patrick. ryan plays a police detective and patrick had a semi-regular role as sleazy banker vaughn leeland. they don't share any scenes but I wonder if they reunited on set?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.