Author Topic: Theory  (Read 1133 times)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
Theory
« on: November 23, 2002, 12:59:30 AM »
   Since some people have referred to this on the board..........

It's obvious that Barnabas was interested in Rachel because of her uncanny resemblance to Josette ::) It's also obvious that he prefers the women who are not only pretty, but delicate and to a certain point, helpless.  I have a theory on why he does this.

I believe that Barnabas has low self-esteem.  He wants these kind of women so that he can protect them, and then feel better about himself.  Someone like Angelique, who has strength and power, he wouldn't know what to do with.  Also, he was raised in the 18th century, where women were usually like Josette, powerless and unknowing of most things.  That could also be a factor.

Anybody agree with this?  Or have your own theories to why certain characters are the way they are?  Please share.

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Theory
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 01:23:01 AM »
I agree with you. I have also always thought that an insecure man looks to someone who is very innocent as he feels he won't "measure up" to comparisons with other men. Of course, in Barney's age, innocence was to be expected.

I also have a newer theory that guys who only desire women of a very young and appealing age actually have a low sex drive and it takes a more stimulating appearence to spark it. That and they want arm candy, not a real partner. An inflatable doll would do for some, if it was lifelike enough to fool other people. Oh, I heard they are remaking "The Stepford Wifes"!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 01:31:12 AM »
 I also believe Barnabas had low self-esteem.  During the 1795 episodes, Barnabas seemed very much under his father's thumb.  Jeremiah also seems to tell Barnabas what to do.  Jeremiah and Joshua seemed to have equal say in the family business and Barnabas was just an employee.  He may have been the heir but was given very little power.  He was put down for being sensitive like his mother.  Towards the end of 1795, Barnabas became more assertive and his father disowned him and disinherited him.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 02:57:14 AM »
I think you are absolutely spot on.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 03:36:17 AM »
I never thought about it that way, but that is quite possible.  It's probably why he never felt any romantic desire towards Julia.  At one point, early in his first dealings with her, he told her how he basically had contempt for "you modern women".  Obviously, he liked them all powdered, coiffed, bustled and helpless, walking around with umbrellas and fanning themselves with handkerchiefs while getting the vapors.  Most likely, he also saw his thoughts on strong women confirmed when he saw how Magda basically wore the pants in her marriage with Sandor.

Gerard

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2002, 04:59:32 AM »
Plus look at his mother. Anyone curious to know what Josette would have been like had she and Barnabas been able to marry only has to recall Naomi. Dollars to donuts, that or something like it would have been her fate . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2002, 12:10:10 PM »
I have also always thought that an insecure man looks to someone who is very innocent as he feels he won't "measure up" to comparisons with other men.

Plus, it's easier for a man to deal with someone who's young and uncomplicated.  He doesn't have to think much or "prove" himself with a young adoring woman who looks up to him (for no apparent reason).  LOL

Barnabas is immature and defensive.  He doesn't like being questioned or challenged.  His ego is easily deflated.  He hates it when Julia questions or disagrees.  He becomes angry.

And of course, like everyone said -- he's a product of the 1700's -- not only in his taste in women, but also their station in life.  He's extremely class-conscious and stuck-up.

NOW...let's take a look at Quentin, shall we??  LOL
Here's a man who doesn't discriminate.  Just about any woman is fine with him - regardless of age, national origin, class, etc.   Let's see, we've got Laura - an older experienced woman with children (and his brother's wife to boot), then we've got Jenny - some sort of saloon singer presumably (and a gypsy to boot), then there's Beth - a lower class servant, who slaps him, calls him contemptible, and tells him to go to hell alot of the time.  (He loves it, loves a challenge)
Oh yeah, and later on there's Amanda - not even real - created from a painting.  Thats OKAY too!  ("Fine by me," says Q.)  LOL
Of course he ISN'T attracted to his sister.  (You've got to draw the line SOMEwhere).
Yep - when it comes to women, Quentin's a true Democrat.

Hmm...I feel like I'm leaving someone out - can't think of who.  Oh well, Quentin probably can't remember them all either.  ROFL

-CLC

P.S.  I do think though, that as time goes on, Barnabas does finally start to grow up a little.  Hey - everyone matures at their own rate (even if it DOES take a couple hundred years).

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2002, 01:11:53 PM »
Connie Wrote:

Hmm...I feel like I'm leaving someone out - can't think of who.

SPOILER.....SPOILER.....SPOILER....SPOILER...SPOILER..

How can you forget Angelique!!!  Weren't they engaged at some point?  Although I don't think it was out of mutual consent. The poor guy really had his share of troubles!

Oh well, Quentin probably can't remember them all either.  ROFL

He probably would much rather forget about this one. (Angelique) ;-)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2002, 04:24:34 PM »
It would not have been unusual for Barnabas's father to disinherit him for marring a servant.  In those days it was not highly thought of to marry below one's class in society.  That was the l700's.  My grandmother was disinherited for marring a Catholic.  That was over a century after Barnabas time.

His taste in women is also a sign of the era that he was raised.  Men in general wanted their wife to be weaker and subservient.  Not sure self esteem comes into play at that time.  If it does it was not recognized.  

Always felt Barnabas would have turned to Angie if she had handled him differently.  That is another topic.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth