Author Topic: Great episodes today  (Read 1846 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Great episodes today
« on: November 20, 2002, 03:34:40 AM »
How nice to see Clarice Blackburn again and in such a juicy role. Mrs. Trask is much more masterful than her husband in being believable and persuading people to the righteousness of their cause. Still, I couldn't help but think how funny it would be in real time if Mrs. Johnson were to announce her resignation.

Lizzy: "Why, Mrs. Johnson, we will be so sorry to see you go. Do you mind if I ask WHY you are leaving us?"

Mrs. Johnson: "I've met the only man who could ever replace Mr. Johnson. Yes maam, I'm running off with Tony Peterson and that's all there is to it!"

Then there is Laura, who is thoroughly enjoyable for me. "I have other plans for my daughter. I want to see her burn [burn] in flames!"

I have to comment on this, I was rather shocked at how differently Diana Millay looks on a color episode. In black and white, she was so beautiful that I had a hard time understanding why she wasn't a MAJOR movie star. She just had the look of one....She is still lovely, but definately does not present as well in color. I'm afraid that Nancy Barrett is the same way, and I don't understand it. They just lose a little oommphh or something. And yet,  Lara Parker doesn't need her trademark flames to burn up the screen in color (and in black and white would lose something, I think)....I don't mean to sound nitpicky and I think all of these women are the greatest. Whereas, our brunettes Alexandra Moltke and KLS just look great no matter which format is used....

I really liked Judith's blue and green dress today, oh, and Bennett also looks regal in either format.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Great episodes today
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 05:01:52 AM »
and KLS just look great no matter which format is used....

wish I'd said that!

[jester]

I agree with the rest of the stuff there, too!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 08:26:44 AM »
I think today's episodes were awesome also.I just LOVE Diana Millay.I love the way she portrays Laura Collins.Then there's Judith,Quentin,Magda,Rachel,and Angelique to add to the fun.That's what i like about 1897 Storyline...there's so much going on it's cool!

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 11:48:37 AM »
Kuanyin Wrote:

Then there is Laura, who is thoroughly enjoyable for me. "I have other plans for my daughter. I want to see her burn  in flames!"

Ick! She makes Angelique look like a Saint! (well almost)

I have to comment on this, I was rather shocked at how differently Diana Millay looks on a color episode. In black and white, she was so beautiful that I had a hard time understanding why she wasn't a MAJOR movie star. She just had the look of one....She is still lovely, but definately does not present as well in color.

You know, I noticed this too and I think alot of it has to do with the make-up that they used back then. Some of the actresses had such lovely flawless skin that made their skin glow and look like porcelain. Lara Parker & KLS especially had lovely skin and this came through clearly in the color episodes.  Diana Millay, on the other hand seemed to have had problem skin, which isn't unusual in young women (hey, I still get break outs) and the cake make-up that they used on her tends to make this look even worse, epsecially in color.  Some days it looks worse than others, depending on how much make-up they used for a certain scene.   Nowadays, they can do so much to cover flaws & especially acne scars that resulted from too many breakouts, but back then I remember everyone using the "cake make-up" and it only made bad skin look worse.  Instead of hiding the flaws, it tended to show them up more.  Thank goodness times have changed!

I'm afraid that Nancy Barrett is the same way, and I don't understand it. They just lose a little oommphh or something.

Now, this I don't see because other than looking a little pale sometimes,  I think N.B. looks okay in either B&W or color episodes.

I really liked Judith's blue and green dress today, oh, and Bennett also looks regal in either format.  

Yes I thought so too.  And it was good to finally see her in a different color dress other than her usual black mourning dress.  I guess with Laura back in town, she really had to show her who's "Mistress of Collinwood." ;-)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002, 04:46:23 PM »
I have to comment on this, I was rather shocked at how differently Diana Millay looks on a color episode. In black and white, she was so beautiful that I had a hard time understanding why she wasn't a MAJOR movie star. She just had the look of one....She is still lovely, but definately does not present as well in color. I'm afraid that Nancy Barrett is the same way, and I don't understand it. They just lose a little oommphh or something.

I have never found Millay all that attractive in either b&w or color. Her face just reminds me of a Barbie doll's. What can I say? A matter of taste?

With Barrett, I think part of the problem is that she's so incredibly fair-skinned. Put the wrong color on her or let the scary make-up person near her and she washes right out. The hair too might be a problem. I fully understand that long straight hair was in style then, by when it's parted at the center, it makes her face look longer.

Bennett could have looked regal in sweats and a t-shirt. I liked the blue and green dress a lot, but the things on the sleeves were ick city.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 04:31:11 AM »

I have never found Millay all that attractive in either b&w or color. Her face just reminds me of a Barbie doll's. What can I say? A matter of taste?

With Barrett, I think part of the problem is that she's so incredibly fair-skinned. Put the wrong color on her or let the scary make-up person near her and she washes right out. The hair too might be a problem. I fully understand that long straight hair was in style then, by when it's parted at the center, it makes her face look longer.

Bennett could have looked regal in sweats and a t-shirt. I liked the blue and green dress a lot, but the things on the sleeves were ick city.

Luciaphil

agree with all the above i don't like the makeup they use on DM and think Barbie doll just about sums it up!(also can't stand any second Laura is on the screen so that doesn't help really hated that character)
nancy is so fair and really needs her right colors too
not looked washed out as Luciaphil said!
Joan B could wear a sack and look good!Such class!

jennifer
(The Color Me Beautiful book is my bible being a winter myself)

isn't it funny how Tony P and the Trasks seem like
different people he really is a good actor!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 05:50:44 AM »
Luciaphill,  you took the words right out of my month, when ever I see Laura "Barbie" comes into my mind.  Also agreed with everything else you said.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2002, 09:43:15 AM »
Luciaphil Wrote:

LOL!  You know, I never noticed this until you mentioned it but she does look like Barbie!!

(When I was younger and first watched the show I use to think she resembled Connie Stevens alittle.)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2002, 05:09:43 AM »
Have you noticed how Nancy's face looks a little bit chubbier since the 1897 storyline started? It seems to make her face look bumpy. Plus she is light skinned. (In NODS, she looks tanner.) I was watching a color episode today that i found on one of my tapes that was just after Vicki came back from 1795. Carolyn wants to go on a date with Tony, but Barnabas summons her and Tony thinks he sees them kissing. She looked beautiful.

Diana Millay looks bumpy too.

KLS looks better now than in the EARLY bw eps.  

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2002, 06:20:44 AM »
Have you noticed how Nancy's face looks a

KLS looks better now than in the EARLY bw eps.  

I hate to say it, but I agree. It may be that color film adds more weight than black and white? Or maybe she put on just a few and on her so small frame it made a difference. I really DO hate to say that, because I hate the way actresses have gotten so anorexic in recent years. I think Buffy looks very unhealthy this year, btw. The gossip rags have a field day with any star that gains five pounds and you would think they were truly obese. But, then they chastise Calista Flockhart for being too thin. I hope I'm not sounding like that.

I think another thing that really messes with NB's appearance is the weird eyebrow thing I have commented on before. They are the wrong color and they are not in the right place. I know some of them did their own makeup, but regardless, someone made a sad mistake when they started painting hers on.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2002, 04:29:03 PM »

I hate to say it, but I agree. It may be that color film adds more weight than black and white? Or maybe she put on just a few and on her so small frame it made a difference. I really DO hate to say that, because I hate the way actresses have gotten so anorexic in recent years.

Do you really think so? If anything it looked like KLS got skinnier to me. I hadn't really noticed to be honest, but in the present time storylines there were days when if they shot her in long profile, it was positively scary.

Another thing that's really bugging me. Diana Millay in that horrid electric blue and black lace number (will address further in my column)--that's part of what's making her look so unattractive. The lines of the dress are not flattering; they make her look quite chesty up top and dumpy on the bottom. Plus that color is just nasty.

I think another thing that really messes with NB's appearance is the weird eyebrow thing I have commented on before. They are the wrong color and they are not in the right place. I know some of them did their own makeup, but regardless, someone made a sad mistake when they started painting hers on.

I think it's just before they go to 1970 PT, but Barrett  really goes for the natural flower child 1970s ironed hair/natural look. I don't know if it's because she didn't lighten it or what, but the hair looks almost dirty. Then we pop into 1970PT, and with a change in look to a more glamorous style, she looks good again.  Right now, word about the eyebrows. Plus they're too heavy on her.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2002, 10:38:39 PM »

I think it's just before they go to 1970 PT, but Barrett  really goes for the natural flower child 1970s ironed hair/natural look. I don't know if it's because she didn't lighten it or what, but the hair looks almost dirty. Then we pop into 1970PT, and with a change in look to a more glamorous style, she looks good again.  Right now, word about the eyebrows. Plus they're too heavy on her.

Luciaphil

I think Nancy (and the makeup artist) purposefully did this . ..she wanted to project a woman who didn't believe herself to be pretty. . .darker hair, morose expression. . .As Carolyn --it was blonde blonde blonde and a flip. . . good use of natural talents rather than tons of makeup, IMO.
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2002, 11:18:27 PM »
Have you noticed how Nancy's face looks a little bit chubbier since the 1897 storyline started?

I think it's the old fashioned hair style that they've given her for this time period.   She's suppose to look prim & proper and the way they have her hair tied back so tight makes her seem more unappealing.   With that kind of hair-do, anyone's face would look fuller & unattractive.   It reminds me of an old maids hairstyle but Im assuming this is the way they wanted the characters portrayel to be.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2002, 01:50:29 AM »

Do you really think so? If anything it looked like KLS got skinnier to me. I hadn't really noticed to be honest, but in the present time storylines there were days when if they shot her in long profile, it was positively scary.

I was talking about Nancy, not KLS. Sorry, I didn't edit my quote the way I thought I had and it made it confusing. I think KLS looked good in b/w, but is even lovelier in color. She probably was a little slimmer. Damn, I HATE the difference it makes! Especially, since my scales are going the wrong direction right now and I seem powerless to prevent it.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2002, 01:20:54 PM »
Kuanyin Wrote:

I think KLS looked good in b/w, but is even lovelier in color. She probably was a little slimmer.

I think so too.  And to this day she still seems to have that same slim & youthful figure that she had back then.

Another thing I've recently noticed about KLS is how much taller she really is than what I've percieved her to be.  I use to think she was about the same height as Carolyn is, but now that I've seen them appearing together in some scenes it's quite obvious that she's a good few inches taller than Carolyn.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"