Author Topic: Vampire Victims  (Read 2988 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Victims
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2002, 08:22:26 AM »
Well, it is interesting and OK, I'll even buy that there are different "strains" of vampires, so some can see a cross and others can't, etc.

What I CAN'T understand is why Barney the vampire ever has an enemy. Any of the Trasks should have been NO problemo. Dr. Woodard? No need to force Juleeeaahhh to kill her old buddy, just bring him in line with a convenient neck nip. Hey, same with Quentin, for that matter! Sure it would get boring, but hey, it would be logical.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2002, 08:45:06 AM »
AND, by the way,  what ever happened to those victims that Barnabas attacked "at the docks"? Did they die? (some did) If not, why didn't they "need" Barnabas as Carolyn and others?  Were they staked? Was Collinsport over-run with vampires? Hmmmm

Inquiring minds want to know.      Misty

" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2002, 09:34:44 AM »
I've always equated the victim's behavior to the amount of blood drawn, keeping in mind the nature of the victim. I do think it makes sense that Barnabas could have his victims behave as he wanted but I don't sense that in the context of the show. I'm inclined to agree with Josette in that the writers just have the victims act in a way that is needed to suit the situation.

dom

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2002, 11:12:21 AM »
I can understand how each and every victim reacted differently to the bite because everyone is different so their reactions to it would be different too.  BUT, what I don't get is the reaction that Lt.Forbes had after Barnabas had given him the bite.  Of all the vampire movies that I have seen, or even the ones on DS, I've never seen a victim actually going along with someone to stake the vampire who had bitten them!  

What's even more strange is that Lt.Forbes seem to regain his sense of self back as soon as he was away from Barnabas, something most victims just can't do. I've yet to see a victim spill the beans on who bit them and what needs to be done about it, yet Forbes just about tells all to Millicent and then later goes with Natalie to stake Barnabas!  Maybe Im wrong but I've never seen this done before between vampires and their victims.  Usually, the victim will fight to the end to save the vampire if they're in any kind of danger, but Lt.Forbes defied all of that.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2002, 04:08:49 PM »
AND, by the way,  what ever happened to those victims that Barnabas attacked "at the docks"? Did they die? (some did) If not, why didn't they "need" Barnabas as Carolyn and others?  Were they staked? Was Collinsport over-run with vampires? Hmmmm

Inquiring minds want to know.      Misty

According to expert vampirologists (and some amateur ones), Misty, the person that got bit must die as a direct result of gettin' bit, ie, must die from the loss of blood.  If the person is knocked off afore that happens, s/he will not vampriize.  Barney usually strangled the dock-side floozies before draining them.  Eh, it's a living.

Gerard

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2002, 05:24:08 PM »
With all this talk about vampires, i cant help but think of Ann Rice and her vampire chronicles.. I knew that to become a vampire, one must become a victim of a vampire(and in most cases, drink from the vampire). But, i had always wondered how vampirism had came to be...In Bram Stokers dracula(by Coppola i believe) we see Vlad cursing God, sticking a sword into the cross, blood gushing, him drinking and saying he would rise from his own death to avenge his wifes death(hmmmmmm)...if everyone that ever cursed god became vampires, the woods would be full of them...And in Stokers novel, i dont think they ever explain how he came to be.. The Novel "Queen of the Damned" gives an interesting detail as to how the first Vampire came into being(i dont know about the movie, heard it was a pile of doooooooo)...It seems now i am comparing all other vampire related works with how She wrote hers, cause at least she took the time to give a detailed account into how they came to be...I have also heard that her "interview" was loosely based on ds, as William H Loomis had Barnabas locked in that coffin..
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2002, 05:52:48 PM »

According to expert vampirologists (and some amateur ones), Misty, the person that got bit must die as a direct result of gettin' bit, ie, must die from the loss of blood.  If the person is knocked off afore that happens, s/he will not vampriize.  Barney usually strangled the dock-side floozies before draining them.  Eh, it's a living.

There's also the belief that to become a vampire, you have to drink the blood of the vampire who bit you, or as Buffy so eloquently put it, "To make you a vampire they have to suck your blood. And then you have to suck their blood. It's like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly they're just gonna kill you."  I believe it's more elegantly phrased in the Stoker novel ;)

Never cared much for Anne Rice . . .
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2002, 10:24:07 PM »

There's also the belief that to become a vampire, you have to drink the blood of the vampire who bit you, or as Buffy so eloquently put it, "To make you a vampire they have to suck your blood. And then you have to suck their blood. It's like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly they're just gonna kill you."  I believe it's more elegantly phrased in the Stoker novel ;)

Never cared much for Anne Rice . . .

I loved how Mina Murray reacted after being forced to drink Dracula's blood in Stoker's novel.  She would scream in anguish and futile surrender:  "Pollution!  Pollution!", and kept feverishly rubbing her lips, in an obsessive/compulsive attempt to remove the "pollution".

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2002, 03:05:27 AM »

If one wants to critique at all, I say do it on each one's own performance.

raineypark

My comment is that each victim had something going on in their life when they were bitten by the vampire.  There is no normal response.  It totally depends on the victim's state of mind.  As far as Josette goes, she had just betrayed the man she truly loved by marrying a man she didn't love.  We know that she acknowledged that Barnabas was different but she still wanted to go away with him. It took Angelique to get her out on Widow's Hill and wake her up to what was really going on with him.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2002, 03:32:58 AM »
Thanks, Gerard. You don't know how many times I wondered about this. Of course! The victims were already dead!! How logical! Of all the vampire movies I saw as a child (they were my favorites) I just never realized this. Bela Lugosi was my VERY favorite.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2002, 05:46:51 AM »
But, i had always wondered how vampirism had came to be.....

The most way cool version I've seen yet was in Dracula 2000, which I avoided seeing because of reviews but loved it when I saw it anyway. Dracula was the first vampire and he had been Judas Iscariot. Think of the aversion to the cross, silver and some other things that my tired brain isn't thinking of.

As for perpetuating vampires, personally, I like the Buffy "sucking thing" and the "sire" business, but many shows, DS included, just have someone dieing of a vampire attack as the "he/she will rise again" determinator.  I knew that Barney broke their necks, but didn't realize that he would drain them afterward. It always seemed like he must be one hungry vampire, and since we aren't seeing many victims, I still think that!

Now that we brought up Buffy, did anyone else wish her preppy psych student vampire buddy could have had a longer role? I was really enjoying him!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2002, 07:42:44 AM »
kuanyin....that does seem to be a logical theory, god getting revenge for betraying his son, for SILVER pieces, and the cross and such...i wont go into the ann rice theory much, but its a malevolent spirit than can, when angered, prick a person when really steamed...well, as it happens, the king and queen of kemet are attacked with knives, and amel(the evil spirit) finds a direct path into them through their wounds.....this spirit was always envious of people with bodies, he had always wanted to live in a body as well, so he got the opportunity....the queen is suddenly revived, administers the blood to the dying king and alas, the first 2 vampires...lol.....i am sure most folks in here have read the story, but i thought it quite imaginitave, as well as the judas story.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.