Author Topic: Storylines  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Storylines
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2002, 11:58:01 PM »
I think 1795 is my favorite, it is the most consistent from beginning to end, well thought-out and well-planned (despite the family history revisions it incurred).

1897 is another favorite. The best thing about 1897 IMO is that the performers are given their very best characters in the series. I think Magda is GH's best character, Charity/Pansy is NB's best, Judith is JB's best, Carl is JK's best, etc.

Unfortunately, 1897 suffers from some inconsistent writing and contradictions. It also became evident that they wanted to "stretch it out" longer than they originally planned, which ultimately may have hurt the series in the long run.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2002, 12:12:48 AM »
The best thing about 1897 IMO is that the performers are given their very best characters in the series. I think...Carl is JK's best, etc.....

Do you really  think that Carl Collins is John Karlen's best character?  Despite the fact that he hardly gets the chance to play him?

I'll agree that Carl's certainly a 'stand-out' character.....and JK plays him with a great deal of enthusiasm.  Actually, I think he plays him with nothing short of GLEE!!.....

But given the brevity of his time on screen, I can't imagine comparing the portrayal of Carl to the long, convoluted, involved and evolving portrayal of Willie Loomis.  By my count, Carl only makes 6 more appearances (which I have never seen) and I doubt the character gets much chance to change or grow in that time frame.

I certainly WOULD agree that John Karlen probably had a hell of a lot more FUN playing Carl Collins, though! :D

raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2002, 01:05:23 AM »
Somebody help me here....

I can't remember in which storyline we get a flash of TLATKLS's undies. [jawdrp][hello][pimp][wow][evily]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2002, 03:14:50 AM »

Do you really  think that Carl Collins is John Karlen's best character?  Despite the fact that he hardly gets the chance to play him?

Well, admittedly, it's hard to pick one Karlen character as a "stand-out" when he plays them all so brilliantly. I do think Carl is my favorite among them, however, despite the brevity. There's a hilarity about him totally lacking from his other characters on the show - hard to imagine Willie, Desmond or Kendrick pulling a gag gun on Barnabas! That plus his maniacal laughter, his screams of anxiety and his childlike quality makes for a great character.

Willie is a fascinating character too, but much like Carl, often appears all too briefly in various story lines, and sporadically at that. Willie is someone you really pity, unlike Carl. Despite bringing back Willie from the sanitarium post 1795, he never had a chance to develope much either.

We're in total agreement that Carl's part in 1897 was all too brief.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2002, 10:38:26 AM »
Hi Ringo!

I'm not sure, but I think it's during Leviathan.  I think it comes in connection with the time that one of the kids (Michael?) is stalking her in the secret passages of the house.

Josette

Connie

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2002, 12:51:31 PM »
I can't remember in which storyline we get a flash of TLATKLS's undies. [hello][pimp][wow][evily]

Hi Ringo  [wavey]

I believe that's the 1970 Parallel storyline, when newlyweds Quentin and Maggie come home and he picks her up to carry her over the threshold.

Well, these things are bound to happen when one wears such short dresses.  :o

;)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2002, 08:04:45 PM »
Dom-I am intrigued that the earliest shows are your favorites, may I ask why?  I have always liked them because of their atmosphere, way different from the rest of the show, IMHO. Maybe it's the black and white.

Hi Cassandra B,

I love everything about the early shows. The black and white, the atmosphere it created. The writing, the acting, the use of outdoor shots - everything technical was splendid.

I've read many fan opinions that the early storylines moved a little too slow for their taste. I wasn't bothered by it because it afforded us to learn so much about the characters. Not much was left out and left to our imagination. If someone was going to visit someone you actually saw them get in the car, arrive, knock on the door and have their little meeting.

What I enjoy the most though is the interactions between the characters. Because the show is new and we have to learn what drives these people. We get to see extended conversations between them that gives us insight as to why they are the way they are. I guess I enjoy watching the characters evolve. More like a traditional soap-opera. 99% of my favorite scenes or episodes come from the early storylines. The interactions between Liz and Roger are priceless. Liz is my favorite character. Her role was exquisitely written. It's like she puts on a different face for each person she comes in contact with. Her interactions with David are not to be missed. Viki and Roger are my two other faves. There are some scenes of Viki with David that are emmy worthy. Roger was a plain old hoot! Wonderfully written, and marvelously acted by Louie.

Have to mention the entry of Laura into the storyline. Wow, she really kicked things up a notch or two. Her first two episodes are classic soap-opera at it's best.

An aside: Loved the first Sam Evans - hated to see him go.

I first saw these episodes as an adult.  I doubt I'd have felt the same if I had seen them as a kid. Which has everything to do with it, I guess.

Have fun watching during the pre-empts.

dom

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2002, 10:22:56 PM »

Well, these things are bound to happen when one wears such short dresses.  :o

;)

Those were the days!

Thanks Josette and Connie,
But it seems to me it is a scene where she is blocking the door and someone [Joe??] kinda slings her away from it, and she sprawls across a chair, which causes the hem-line [and my blood pressure] to rise uncontrollably.  Can't believe I don't have that one commited to memory, and a large gold star on the tape label!! [vryevl]

Ringo
[still young - and in mini-skirt land - at heart!]

and I think my actual fave story line is the arrival of Barn, that is classic DS.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2002, 11:45:03 PM »
I also liked the early episodes the best. I love mysteries and the show was more gothic suspense/mystery then. Actually I think the show went a bit crazy with the supernatural stuff after Barnabas arrived. I loved the Laura storyline. [kaiokn] I can vividly remember sitting on the floor in front of the TV watching that as kid and thinking that this was different from any other soap opera.
MM

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2002, 01:46:44 AM »
I'm one of those who loves the earliest episodes, and find the characters at their best in those days. I also appreciated the fact that exteriors and extras were featured more prominently, adding significantly to the illusion of reality. Once the principal actors became the only people with any presence and the exteriors were nothing but still photos, the show lost an awful lot of its character. Not to disparage later shows, because I do love them, but I much preferred DS when it seemed you could actually get in a car and go visit Collinsport and its inhabitants if you had a mind to.

--Mark

Connie

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2002, 04:40:21 AM »
Thanks Josette and Connie,
But it seems to me it is a scene where she is blocking the door and someone [Joe??] kinda slings her away from it, and she sprawls across a chair, which causes the hem-line [and my blood pressure] to rise uncontrollably.  

Ringo --  [wavey]

I've never seen the Joe/Maggie scene, but you definitely do see the crotch of her underwear in the Parallel time scene when Quentin picks her up.
(So...something for you to look forward to)  ROFL

-CLC  ;)

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2002, 11:49:10 AM »
I'm enjoying the 1897 storyline. it's really interesting. Trask is such a weirdo.

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard