Author Topic: The July 17th Episodes (Spoilers!)  (Read 665 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The July 17th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« on: July 17, 2005, 08:58:22 PM »
Ep #276 might just be the first time that Barnabas actually did something that the audience cheered - namely kill Jason. And it's just so perfectly fitting that Jason's own greed is what did him in. Willie gave Jason a piece of jewery that could have probably provided him more than enough money to start over somewhere else. But, noooooo, Jason had to have as many jewels as he could gets his hands on. Still, I'll miss him because Dennis Patrick played Jason to perfection.

It's also interesting to note that, even though once again Barnabas explains details of his past that prove not to be true once we get to the 1795/96 storyline (Sarah died long before he knew Josette), the date of Sarah's death on her headstone in the mausoleum is correctly listed as 1796. I wonder if that date had any part in ultimately determining that Barnabas' backstory should take place in 1795/96 and not at some point during the 1830s?

I know I said that I might never make fun of characters wearing coats in the summer on DS, but I noticed something in ep #538 that I just can't let slide without comment: not only is Stokes wearing a coat - he's wearing a sweater underneath it! I realize Stokes is an eccentric and his scenes in the ep do take place in the wee hours approaching dawn, but still - a sweater too?!  ::)

But seemingly ridiculous wardrobe aside, it's absolutely wonderful to see Stokes repeatedly questioning Julia's bizarre (to put it mildly from someone from the outside's perspectrive) behavior. I love when Stokes chides Julia for asking questions but refusing to answer his, and when he vows that one day he will understand "the secret of Barnabas Collins."

And finally, it's so fascinating to watch Thayer David's controlled performance as Stokes tries to make some semblance of sense of the things around him in ep #538 and then to see him as PT Stokes in ep #1060 as that Stokes verges closer and closer to madness. I and others have said it many times before, but David was truly a gift to the DS universe.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Re: The July 17th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 09:09:19 PM »
I noticed Julia's new garb in the PT room; is that that same infamous green thing she wears for about 10 or so episodes in a row, by any chance?  I can't wait till PT comes out on DVD...Yeah, I noticed the dates on the mausoleum things too.  I was surprised that Sarah's was actually congruent with the later chronology of the show.  I always thought Stokes had already figured it all out or was very close to discovering Barnabas' secret.

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 10:02:18 PM »
I noticed Julia's new garb in the PT room; is that that same infamous green thing she wears for about 10 or so episodes in a row, by any chance? .

That's the one. She and Barn go directly from the PT room  to 1995, so she's stuck in that suit for two weeks!

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 10:58:34 PM »
I can't help mentioning that my "wicked" side thoroughly enjoyed both "Aristide asks Tim about Quentin" (and, hmmm, did their chat involve Quentin's linguistic abilities, specifically with the French and Greek tongues?  Hell's Bells, I just came close to using one of those damned smilies!!) and "Tim tells the hand it's exactly what he needs"--I imagine a dialogue caption from this one reading, "hallelujah, my days of mail-order from Fredericks of Hollywood's are OVER!"  Briscoe's expression in the latter image was truly priceless!

Seeing Julia turn up in the July 17th show was a real treat for me when I watched this show last weekend.  I'd forgotten she appeared in it.

I thought it was hilarious that they actually made Karlen and Frid pick up Dennis Patrick's body and hoist it up those stairs.  Apart from everything else, fanciers of vampire lore would expect that with his great strength, the Undead Barnabas would have easily been able to sling Jason up those steps singlehandedly.  Of course, Karlen's bit when he has to touch Jason's dead body provided the emotional highlight of the entire episode.  What a brilliant thespian!

Thayer, of course, was wonderful as well in both of those shows.

G.