Author Topic: WB DS Actors' Video  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
WB DS Actors' Video
« on: March 30, 2004, 09:59:02 AM »
A new subboard has been created in this category to showcase video clips* featuring the WB DS actors. First up are clips of Alec Newman (Barnabas) from the February 5th episode of Tru Calling and clips of Ivana Milicevic (Angelique) from the March 21st episode of CSI: Miami. Just how many clips are available per appearance depends on your current forum status. For example, guests and newbies have one 160X120 clip for each appearance, full members have three 320X240 clips from Tru Calling and one 320X240 clip from CSI: Miami, junior members have six 320X240 clips from Tru Calling and two 320X240 clips from CSI: Miami, and senior members have access to eight 320X240 clips from Tru Calling and three 320X240 clips from CSI: Miami.

I'd encourage members who have access to file #6 (Thank You) from Tru Calling to definitely check that one out. If I'd been casting Barn for this WB DS, I would have hired him instantly based on his work in that scene alone.  ;)

Enjoy!

*(Depending on your Internet connection's speed, it might take a while before the server is contacted and the video indicates that it's being downloaded. Please be patient.  :))

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:WB DS Actors' Video
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 05:16:10 AM »
Very confused!  First, I don't understand why the limitations.  I can't see why those who have recently joined shouldn't be able to enjoy these as much as anyone else.

Second - what is your definition of an "appearance"?  Does that mean each time we come here?  Someone who can only see 1 or 2 could then see another 1 or 2 the next time?

What about repeats?  If after viewing, I want to show it to my aunt, can it be accessed again?
Josette

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 05:54:51 AM »
I think "appearance" here refers to the individual actor's appearance on a particular program, not to the forum member's number of visits to the board, and I suspect the limitations have to do with bandwidth issues. Video files can be pretty large and viewing them can eat up a web site's bandwidth limit in no time, which is why a lot of sites offer no video or only lower quality video.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 08:47:11 AM »
Thank you, Criseyde!  Re-reading it, I think you're right about the word "appearance."  I hadn't realized that viewing it affected the bandwidth.  I assumed that once it was posted that it was using however much it was using.

I still need to find out about repeat viewings.  If I can't come back to it, there's no point in my looking at them until I can get my aunt with me at the same time.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 09:06:38 AM »
I still need to find out about repeat viewings.  If I can't come back to it, there's no point in my looking at them until I can get my aunt with me at the same time.

The available clips can be viewed as many times as anyone might like.  :)

As for the major reason why certain clips are available to certain members groups, MsCriseyde hit the nail on the head with her explanation about bandwidth. (For example, since the posting of the video clips yesterday, the forum's bandwidth usage has already climbed 15%.) And, it's also a way of us rewarding the members who've been the most supportive of the forum in their posting habits.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 09:11:05 AM »
Thank you  :)  It's too late now, but I'll get started tomorrow (later today!).
Josette

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 02:56:59 PM »
Thanks for those - they're fascinating.

Alec Newman's clips in particular bode very well for Barnabas - that final scene is quite remarkable, with several major shifts in emotion handled with great naturalism.  There's a lot of shades there that would play well for "Dark Shadows", I think.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 04:42:56 AM »
I'd encourage members who have access to file #6 (Thank You) from Tru Calling to definitely check that one out. If I'd been casting Barn for this WB DS, I would have hired him instantly based on his work in that scene alone.  ;)

Good job with all the various videos.  The one you recommend here was a real treat!  I'm really looking forward to seeing "Barnabas" in action.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 07:02:58 PM »
In case any Guest or Newbie was unsuccessful in getting the 160X120 Tru Calling video clip to play, we only just discovered that there was a problem with the video link but it's working now.  Sorry about that.

And please, speak up if something on the Forums doesn't work.  We don't bite ...

[vampire]... much.