Author Topic: Addison Powell Lives!  (Read 845 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Addison Powell Lives!
« on: March 19, 2002, 09:26:01 PM »
And so it begins, the first appearance of one the most beloved character actors to appear on Dark Shadows.  A man well remembered for his inimitable portrayals as an attorney, a learned judge, and, of course, as the greatest medical doctor  (this side of Dr. Hoffman) who ever put up a shingle in the village of Collinsport, ME.

Actually, Mr. Powell is also known for being a Tony award winning actor, a frequent character actor in films (Three Days of the Condor comes to mind), and the onetime Gortons of Gloucester fisherman in those classy commercials of the 1970's and 1980's.

Bob the Bartender, who once bumped into Randall Drew while crossing Sixth Avenue and 43rd Street.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Addison Powell Lives!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 10:32:58 PM »
A man well remembered for his inimitable portrayals as an attorney, a learned judge, and, of course, as the greatest medical doctor  (this side of Dr. Hoffman) who ever put up a shingle in the village of Collinsport, ME.

And for his inability to operate a simple 20th century device that will prove crucial to the continued existence of Barnabas, as well as the hilarious scene in which he feeds the name "Dave Woodard" to Barnabas though for all intents and purposes he should have no idea who the man is much less that Julia should be reminded about his name. ;)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 01:37:55 AM »
In his appearance as Admiral Nimitz in MacARTHUR, one almost expects to see Mr. Powell lugging that tape recorder around with him. "Stiff" barely begins to describe his performance....

Mark

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 03:12:55 AM »

Actually, Mr. Powell is also known for being a Tony award winning actor, a frequent character actor in films (Three Days of the Condor comes to mind), and the onetime Gortons of Gloucester fisherman in those classy commercials of the 1970's and 1980's.

He won a Tony?!?

You're kidding, right?  Hell, I can act better than he could.  This is very scary.  Very, very, scary.

The only thing I ever saw him give a halfway decent performance in was "The Thomas Crown Affair" (the original, not the tepid remake) and he had about two lines in that.

A Tony?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 04:28:58 AM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

My God, I'm touching my hair as I read all of these caustic comments about Addison Powell, a/k/a "The Silver Fox"!

I think that Mr. Powell looks a lot like the distinguished South Carolina senator, Fritz Hollings.  Maybe Mr. Powell should audition for the biggest stage show on the planet, the United States Senate!!  He certainly looks the part.  

Based on these "candid" comments, I doubt that Mr. Powell will be attending any Dark Shadows conventions in the near future.  I remind my fellow Dark Shadows fans/colleagues of the line from Billy Joel's pertinent song: "You're only human.  You're supposed to make share of mistakes" (like fumbling with a pesky tape recorder).

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, child of the sixties, man of the new millennium.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2002, 08:33:20 AM »
I remind my fellow Dark Shadows fans/colleagues of the line from Billy Joel's pertinent song: "You're only human.  You're supposed to make share of mistakes" (like fumbling with a pesky tape recorder).

Aw, BobtB, I've made my share too.  That scene is just what I happen to most remember him for from the series-- I think it's hilarious.

~Mezzanotte ;) (who will soon be lunching with Nicky, yay!)