Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0936  (Read 1290 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0936
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0936
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:53 AM »
1/26/70

“THE paaaaast!”  I love how Joan Bennett says past!  

I do like Jeb’s bell bottoms.  I also really like Nancy B’s black outfit!  I see Jeb is spying on Carolyn while resting on Jenny's headstone.  Is that a pin with the Naga that Liz has on??  

I am glad the Vincent L has quit putting the dark liner over Nancy's eyebrows.  Her new look is much more natural.  
I didn't have much to say about this one.  
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:51:02 AM »
Things happen very differently in the redo; this time Jeb isn't already in the sheriff's office, even though he's just killed the sheriff.   Barnabas finds the body, and Jeb storms in from the corridor.   Anyway, talk yourself out of this one, Barnabas!   What's that all over Davenport's body?   [spoiler]See ya later, re-animator![/spoiler]

We have a rare scene of the Collins family together to go to the funeral, where they actually stop and reflect on what little they know of what's just happened.   That's always what I want more of in DS:  the taking in of events emotionally, rather than just action.   This is yet another sign that this part of the storyline is much better than I ever appreciated before.   Nancy Barrett is good at intelligent bitter disillusionment.   Great Millicent capture in the slideshow today, showing another example of this, though here the "intelligent" part applies to the actress not the character...  (May I copy it for possible drawing someday?)

Jeb tells Barnabas that Leviathan helpers (post VL Day) will become Leviathans themselves, and "take on any form".
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:58 AM »
I liked the veils that Elizabeth and Carolyn wore today, but Carolyn's looked strange with the very short black dress.  And I felt that Barnabas's Inverness coat wasn't quite right for the funeral.  It wasn't black enough, and it looked as though Barnabas hadn't dressed up, although I liked the tie he was wearing.

Jeb tells Barnabas that Leviathan helpers (post VL Day) will become Leviathans themselves, and "take on any form".
Yes, that was surprising.  I wonder what the Leviathan who threatened Barnabas will make of that.  Will there be a Leviathan uprising when the True Leviathans learn what their leader is like?  It's a nice Dark Shadows angle on the whole Sixties youth rebellion thing.  I like the idea, by the way, of Carolyn becoming a monster.  It's the sort of thing that Nancy Barrett would do very well, if only we were to see her being the monster.

A year ago, or less, Barnabas was telling Quentin's ghost, "You shall not have the boy!"  Today he was telling Jeb, "You shall not have Carolyn!"  I like the change of seeing Carolyn as the endangered one, not David.  Still, David is the one who will carry on the Collins name, so it was surprising to see Barnabas telling Jeb that the rest of them would endure whatever fate the Leviathan business inflicted on them.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 03:22:02 PM »
or better yet, Tony Peterson.

oh yeah!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »
The following is absolutely brilliant, especially when delivered by these 3 actors.  Was it really from Sam Hall??--

Roger:  "I'm sorry, Elizabeth, but you know that Paul was a scoundrel; he was a worthless man. He caused this family nothing but trouble since he married you. Let's not let his death cause more problems. I think we should inquire into it privately but hush it up publicly. That's all I meant to say."
Carolyn:  "And you said it brilliantly, Uncle Roger. All in the Collins tradition. It should be a motto on our family emblem: Hypocrisy Above All."
Liz:  "Carolyn, there's no point in upsetting yourself."
Carolyn:  "My father was murdered."
Liz:  "The autopsy showed..."
Carolyn:  "The autopsy told only part of the story-- the acceptable part. The part that would hurt no one."
Liz:  "Carolyn, technically, his death was..."
Carolyn:  "I intend to find out who killed him."
Liz:  "Oh Carolyn."
Carolyn:  "I loved him, Mother."
Roger:  "You barely knew him, Carolyn."
Carolyn:  "I knew him. And I'm glad I had the chance. I knew him, perhaps just intuitively, because I'm part of him. Mother, surely you can remember loving him.  Because you must have, once, you must have!"
Roger:  "Try to control yourself, Kitten. It's all going to be much more difficult if you don't."
Carolyn:  "Collinses are not supposed to cry. Well, this is the Stoddard part of me-- the part that lets me feel."
Liz:  "Carolyn, you must try, really. Come." (takes her into the drawing room)
[clock chimes]
Roger:  "It's time we're going, Elizabeth."
Liz:  "Not like this! [to Carolyn:] I know how difficult it is for you. Believe me, we're all trying to make it through..." (closes the doors, leaving Roger in the foyer)

“THE paaaaast!”  I love how Joan Bennett says past!

Yes!  It rhymed with lost.  And later, she tells Barnabas, "You can't be serious," and it sounds like want.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:53:46 AM »
Beautiful dialogue! It seem a lot of OLD HOLLYWOOD movie actors have that sort of British sound to there A's! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
That is a well-written scene, Midnite.  I wish we were getting that kind of writing around #952, where the WP is now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
That was a scene that the writers believed in - and for obvious reasons. They didn't believe in much of what's goes on during Leviathans in Ep #952 and beyond. Though there are still some great scenes to come (particularly when two former adversaries come face to face again  ;))...