Author Topic: Most Talented, Least Talented  (Read 3008 times)

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
Most Talented, Least Talented
« on: April 04, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
Good Day to All Cousins!

In your own opinion, who on DS was the most talented and the least talented? [clap] [jester]

You can include day players, extras, and special guests. [crowdhappy]

Have a Great Day!

Love, dvlvan26
dvlvan26, Class of 2007

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Most Talented, Least Talented
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »
Most talented? Way too many to narrow it down to just one. Nancy Barrett and Thayer David managed to make every one of their characters so different from each other - and that's no mean feat (just look at how similar most of RD's characters are  ::)) Jonathan Frid and David Selby always imparted the immense complexities in Barnabas and the various Quentins. Lara Parker and Diana Millay were amazing as Angelique and Laura. Louis Edmonds was a hoot in every role he played. Joan Bennett always gave a quiet dignity to all her roles. And those are just a handful - I could go on and on.

As for least talented? That's easy for me - it's Geoffrey Scott. Almost without exception, Sky's scenes are excruciating to watch. One can only wonder how much more interesting Sky might have been in the hands of a really skilled actor. Hell - one can only wonder how much more interesting Sky might have been in the hands of a barely competent actor!  [sad3]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:26:04 PM »
Is MB implying he can TOLERATE! RD??

Stop the Presses!![/size]

Patti

I don't dislike Geoffrey Scott.

Thayer David & Nancy Barrett, hands down, no one comes close, IMHO.

I personally don't care for Marie Wallace.

And, save for the cool look in jeans jacket, Chris Pennock was a tad over the edge.
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 09:01:53 PM »
Is MB implying he can TOLERATE! RD??

Heavens, no! But as much as I dislike RD's DS characters, they're brilliantly portrayed next to Scott's work as Sky. And I'm the first to say that RD's work outside of DS can often be quite good. Sadly, the same can't be said for Scott. It's pretty bad when the soap magazines cheer when an actor is fired from a role, and that's exactly what several did when Scott was let go as Billy Lewis on Guiding Light.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »
Thayer David was the most talented actor on the show as far as I'm concerned.  John Karlen, David Selby, and Jerry Lacy were also great assets to the show.  Among the actresses, I think Nancy Barrett, Marie Wallace, and Joan Bennett turned in some stellar performances.

Camilla Ashland and Elizabeth Eis were great in the minor roles that they played. [thumb]

The least talented actors, in my opinion, were Donna McKechnie, Don Briscoe, Lee Beery, and Lisa Richards.

ProfStokes

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 09:16:50 PM »
I feel Thayer David was one of the most talented actors on DS!!  I love all his characters and his performances were always superb!!  He isn't a leading man type but he CAN carry himself through every scene with style and finesse!!

I also think NB is great in all her emotional roles.  She is the best with the water works and I love her accent of Pansy Faye.

Of course, I love JF's performances with all his facial expressions, mood changes, body language to get certain ideas across without saying anything!!  He's the best vampire I've ever come across in performances [although I'm very partial to the Angel character!]

I love the chemistry between some of the actors too.  One being NB and JF;  another GH and JF; AM was great with MR but stiff with AG, IMO.

The child actors were very good too especially David Hensey.

Who did I dislike?  I can't name the evil characters because I like them too especially JL's version all all the Trasks!!  Love to hate them. :)  Some actors aren't very good and people have already named them so I will not.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 09:48:43 PM »
Going on solitary roles alone and not actor/actress chemistry, I would have to put Thayer David in the top spot. He played not only the most characters on the show, but also the widest range. You can't help but love his character or love to hate him.

I'd also have to give love to John Karlen. He was absolutely great as Willie, but when they wrote him more serious roles we were really shown what he could do.

Jerry Lacy, Dennis Patrick and Mitchell Ryan are also the man.

As far as actresses go, I would have to say that I loved Terry Crawford the most. Also Kathryn Leigh Scott, before they turned her into the resident victim. Clarice Blackburn needs to get a nod as well, she was always spot on in the roles she played. (and who doesn't love Grayson, despite her flair for the overdramatic?)

As for the least talented....

I love Don Briscoe to absolute death, but the man had a habit of overacting by a large margin. I'd have to include Roger Davis on that list, despite the fact that you have to like him for being so intolerable. That kid who played Alexander.... and the guy who played Sky. Though they may belong on the most annoying list instead....

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 10:41:43 PM »
Yes, I think Thayer David was definitely the most talented actor--he hardly ever messed up his lines, and he always seemed in character.  I absolutely love Lara Parker as Angelique.  While I dislike Roger Davis' roles on DS, I don't think he's the worst actor on there--if they had channeled his "talents" into more interesting, fitting parts, then he wouldn't be nearly as bad as he is.  Oh, I forgot about how horrible Sky Rumson is!  Ugh, the woman who played Joanna is God-awful, too; what were they thinking?  That character had so much promise and suspense attached to her, and then when she actually appears...it's like the whole 1840 storyline:  you have so much anticipation for what happens next, but everything falls flat.  However, I believe the worst "actor" is that guy they hired to play a bereaved boyfriend in 1995.  He was only in one episode, but geez...I felt so sorry for Jonathan Frid who had to work with him.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 11:59:44 PM »
And I'm the first to say that RD's work outside of DS can often be quite good.
Agreed; I've never seen the western, but a couple of other things (Twighlight Zone), respectable.
Sadly, the same can't be said for Scott. It's pretty bad when the soap magazines cheer when an actor is fired from a role, and that's exactly what several did when Scott was let go as Billy Lewis on Guiding Light.

(I didn't know he was on anything else...)

Patti
What a Woman!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 12:39:41 AM »
Hmmm...most talented?  I tend to lean towards Thayer David, Nancy Barrett, and Grayson Hall.  Also, I give high marks to KLS because I think she was most "natural" actor on the series.

As for the least talented, it's hard to say because I feel that even the lesser lights in the cast brought something to the show.  Forced to pick, I would probably go with the actor who appeared in one episode during the 1995 Flashforward.  I don't recall his name, or the name of his character, but I believe he wore a plaid flannel shirt.  He was supposed to be a widower and gave an even more wooden performance than Mr. Juggins.  Or maybe Tom Happer, because I always cringe during his scenes.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 02:37:35 AM »
The most engaging actor and character for me on DS is Jonathan Frid. I'd have to say that if it weren't for him I wouldn't be watching Dark Shadows now...can't quite explain why he's my guy...(when doin' good) I love the renonances he gives his lines, his hurt looks, his gentleness (don't ask me why I think a Vampire is gentle), his arching eyebrows. But there are a bevy of terrific actors
- gotta go with the crowd on this one - Thayer David is simply marvelous
- John Karlin (Willie Loomis, classic DS)
- Clarice Blackburn (this woman can truly act)
- Lara Parker (hate Angelique but LP is electric)
- Louis Edmonds (always enjoy watching him)
- Dennis Patrick
- Robert Gerringer
- little girl who plays Amy

Worst:

- Craig Slocum
- Addison Powell
- little girl who plays Sarah

Special Mention: KLS - most engaging

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 02:41:16 AM »
I feel that Nancy Barret was the most talented dramatist to appear on the show; her sensitivity and depth of portrayal was so wonderfully fluid.  She could display such a range of emotions and her characters came across as *different, despite the fact that they may have been written in similar ways, which is far more than I can say for many of the other actors.  I would have to say the least talented was Diana Millay; her portrayal was so often very dry, stiff, and transparent. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 03:08:50 AM »
Welcome back, tragic bat. It's nice to see you posting again.  ;)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 03:53:35 AM »
Most Talented:

Actresses: Nancy Barrett, she makes it seem effortless. I've really come to appreciate her acting. Kathryn L Scott also always seems very natural. They just have a good balance between underacting and overacting, IMO.

Actors: John Karlen, I feel is fantastic, effortless like NB. Jonathan Frid because when I fall in love with a character, the actor has a lot to do with it, and I fell hard for Barnabas. I like Louis Edmonds for the sarcasm and wit he injects into his lines.

Least Talented:

Actresses - Lisa Richards as Sabrina.

Actors - Addison Powell, Roger Davis.... I didn't care for Don Briscoe at first, as Tom. It wasn't until Chris came along that I changed my opinion of him.
I'm sure there's more for actresses and actors and I'm just not thinking of them (maybe I'm trying not to ;) ).

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 05:49:11 AM »
However, I believe the worst "actor" is that guy they hired to play a bereaved boyfriend in 1995.  He was only in one episode, but geez...I felt so sorry for Jonathan Frid who had to work with him.

Victor Flagler played by Cliff Cudney. :)