Author Topic: Favorite Set and Music  (Read 3403 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
Favorite Set and Music
« on: December 28, 2003, 02:10:14 AM »
I must admit my favorite set is the Collinwood Drawing Room. I like when the characters talk and interact in that room, it makes you feel like you are really there in in Collinwood. My favorite music is the one they use wil Barnabas and Julie a lot, its eerie, dont know the name of it though.

What are your alls?

Shane
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Favorite Set and Music
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 03:30:07 AM »
The Blue Whale is one of my favorite sets. It has that sixties atmosphere especially in the very first few eps. 8)
MM

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 06:12:58 AM »
Hello [VictoriaWintersFan], my favorite set is the Old House drawing room, I loved watching it change from the old  abandoned dusty room to its charm and warmth of the 1795 flashback... my favorite music is of course Sarah's theme along with Barnabas' music.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 03:20:55 PM »
My favorite is the drawing room at the Old House.  The fire burning, the candles glowing, the portrait of Barnabas above the fireplace.....it's like I'm at home now. :D

My favorite music is Josettes theme. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline DSA

• "You know what you are, Willie Loomis? You're stupid!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 11:17:46 PM »
my favorite set is the parallel time room. Its just so beautiful and colorful. I know what my favorite music is but its too hard to describe it so I wont even try.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 12:52:36 AM »
There were few (if any) sets I can say I disliked. Roger's bedroom is probably my fave though. I liked everything in it and would kill for a fireplace like that anywhere in my house.

I really liked the basement, study, and the cottage too (especially in B&W). And the foyer's a sentimental favorite. I must also mention the secret corridors at Collinwood as well. I absolutely loved it when they'd have characters meander through them. They are the only sets that really stir my imagination, even today.

I love all of the creepy background music as well as the more sedate stuff. Didn't like Ode To Angelique or I Wanna Dance With You. Fave music cues are the bum, Bum, BUM and the cue that closed out the song Seance on the LP. I like both of Josette's themes as well as the main and opening themes.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 03:55:44 AM »
I have a lot of favorites , and they're all pretty obvious ones, for the rooms. I love Vicky's room at Collinwood , which is later Maggie's , and in 1795 is Josette's.I don't remember who if  anybody used them in other time  periods.I'm sure it was probably Rachel's room in 1897.Anybody remeber who used it , if anybody , in 1970 PT, 1841PT and 1840RT?I'd guess that Daphne used it in 1840, but I'm not sure .I do know that it was Liz's bedroom before she married. For some reason I love the history , knowing all the different women who lived in that room.It seems sort of sweet that Liz put Vicky in her old room.

I also love the foyer and drawing room of Collinwood , they're iconic symbols of the whole show.The parallel time room was pretty , it's a shame they didn't use it more , especially in 1841PT , where it seemed to be used so often at first.

Joseete's room is also pretty. More than any other room it seems like a character with it's own personality.

As far as music goes the opening credits and the bit at the begining are both nice.

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 11:40:40 PM »
Favorite set: Drawing Room at Collinwood.

Favorite Music: "A Darkness at Collinwood", "Joanna"; "Ode to Angelique"

Wiley
Wiley S.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 02:09:33 AM »
My favorite sets, believe it or not and this is gonna sound weird, were the restaurants where various characters (like Vicki and Frank) would have meetings and dinner.  Of course, they were only seen pretty much in the first few months of the series.  I enjoyed the detail, including other patrons eating and talking in the background, and waiters moving to-and-fro.  It was just such a wonderful style of reality.

And music?  For me, the haunting Joanna's Theme.

Gerard

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 04:05:40 AM »
My favorite set is the Collinwood drawing room, especially when Vicky is in it. I also like the Evans cottage. Sam Evans' studio and Maggie's room, although small, appeared nice & comfortable.

Music...I love Josette's Theme and Quentin's Theme. I don't know if it has a name, but I love that quick  melodramatic, cliff-hanging mini-theme that plays either at the end of the show or right before a commercial break. From my poor memory, it sounds something like  "duhn-duhn-DUHN!"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 01:01:24 AM »
 ::)I just can't stop thinking about the scene where Quentin's ghost chases everyone from Collinwood to the Old House. In the final scenes Roger proclaims, "We'll be back!" and the camera scans the rooms of the house while playing Quentin's Theme, fireplaces blazing. I thought the sets were exceptionally lovely. The drawing room was always beautiful no matter the year or dimension.
                                                           Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 05:59:39 PM »
I know this will sound weird but one of my many favorites is the cottage (in B&W 1966-67) where Laura (the Phoenix) is staring into the fireplace and Dr. Guthrie is looking in through the glass on the front door. There were a lot of good scenes shot in the cottage over the years. The music, I like so much of it but 'Joanna' is one of my favorites and 'A Darkness at Collinwood' (so chilling and suspenseful!) and I can't forget "#1 at the Blue Whale". It makes me truly sad to think that there is nothing out on TV (so far) that can even match the wonderfulness of the total Dark Shadows experience.  I had high hopes for Twin Peaks (loved the music and the storyline) but it just lost its edge after episode 17(?) when Laura's murderer became known. Ah well, we can only hope for some sort of improvement someday on TV. Something that you can fall in love with and treasure and draw you in week after week. I'm feeling kind of nostalgic..and sad about Dark Shadows being gone from Sci-Fi.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 06:14:51 AM »
I'm also very partial to Vicki's room, just because it looks so cozy¢â‚¬¦ and because I wouldn't mind a room that comes complete with a fireplace and a secret passage  :) As someone said earlier in this topic, the history behind the room having been Elizabeth's as a young girl and the fact that she chose to give Vicki that particular room always seemed to add a nice touch to the possible ¢â‚¬ËœIs Vicki Elizabeth's daughter plot' (which I know we all mulled over recently.)

Am I crazy, or was it also Josette's room when the family finally moved into Collinwood? (It's been quite a while since I've seen 1795.)

As far as music, I think my favorite is Joanna's theme¢â‚¬¦ but I'm a big NODS fan, so I think that may have something to do with it.

grayson67 (Melissa)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 10:26:46 AM »
I'm also very partial to Vicki's room, just because it looks so cozy¢â‚¬¦ and because I wouldn't mind a room that comes complete with a fireplace and a secret passage

It does seem that some young lady was always given that room with a secret panel and passage.  I imagine their delight when they discover it - storage!  All they ever would get was that one armoire, hardly enough closet space for a young lady with her collection of season attire and other personal items, so I picture her gleefully pushing that hidden button and hauling in boxes, trunks and suitcases galore.  And then one evening, while she sleeps, a vampire or some other horrible creature comes stalking down the secret passage in the darkness, ready to make a dramatic and frightening entrance, raising his arms (along with his cape, should be be wearing one) to attack when he smashes his big toe right into a crate filled with summer apparel, crying out:  "Son of a bi....!" as he starts hopping about, biting down on his finger.  That would certainly keep the tally of virginal things falling victim to a minimum.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 05:00:59 PM »
Oh, Gerard that was too much!!! LOL [laugh]  Still laughing over the mental picture of Barnabas, Adam or some other male baddie stubbing his big toe on the trunk containing Vicki's summer clothes!

To return to the thread, my favorite set is Josette's room at the Old House.  As to my fave music, I don't know the name of it, but it's the music heard that accompanies the opening voiceover.  I always think of it as "Midnite in the mansion of Collinwood."
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.