Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0736  (Read 676 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0736
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Robservations #736

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0736

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
Tim saves Nora's life and everyone manages to get out of the school safe and sound. Laura managed to accomplished her goal....getting the children back to Collinwood, however no doubt it will only be temporary.

Quentin enlists Magda to his cause to help him plot against Laura. Interesting how one minute the two of them are at each other's throats, thwarting each other then the next Magda seems more than willing to help Quentin. But then again money talks with a gypsy. [spoiler] At least until Magda sees how much damage Quentin did to her sister Jenny. [/spoiler]

Laura praises Tim for saving Nora's life but secretly [spoiler] I can't help but wonder if she was a bit peeved that Tim thwarted her plans to lure Nora into the fire. [/spoiler]

Quentin and Laura are back to being at each other's throats again. Now that Magda has found and given him the urn that is instrumental to Laura's survival, Quentin wastes no time in going to work to destroy Laura....will he succeed?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
Worthington Hall burns to the ground, but everyone is rescued. Yay!!

Magda insists she won't help Quentin harm Laura. Quentin promises that after Magda gets the urn, he won't touch a hair of Laura's head. But Magda still distrusts him.

Apparently Laura is genuinely exhausted after committing spontaneous arson. She basks in front of the fire for a few moments to revive herself. Quentin comments that she chose a rather bizarre way of getting the children out of the school. This only makes Laura angry. Quentin asks Tim how the fire started, but Tim doesn't know. One minute everything was fine, the next minute the building was in flames. This is even more interesting to Quentin.

ILB, maybe this scene will answer your question: Tim is puzzled about how Laura got into the room with Nora when the room was in flames--before Tim got there himself, especially since he didn't see her pass him in the hallway. I heard Nora scream and rushed in. I see, Tim says. That’s what’s puzzling me: I was in the corridor too, but I didn’t see you. There was a great deal of excitement, Laura observes. Any number of things might have happened that you didn’t see. I’m very happy we had this talk. I want the Reverend Trask to know the courage you displayed this evening. There no need, says the modest Tim. I feel you should be properly rewarded for saving Nora’s and my lives, Laura insists. When you get back to Rockport, have Reverend Trask call me. All right, Tim agrees as she smoothly ushers him out. He says goodnight and leaves. Laura sighs with relief at having diverted his suspicion--for the moment. She waits a few moments till he presumably is away from the house, then she leaves herself.

Laura takes the urn to the gazebo and begins a long invocation to the god of fire (unnamed as yet) to restore her vitality. Nora follows her, and Magda gets the location of the urn out of her.

Where did Nora say her mother was standing? Quentin asks. Magda indicates the spot near the sundial. Quentin moves toward it, then spots the snake bracelet on the grass and pockets it. What did you find? Magda asks. Instead of answering, he gets interested in the sundial and lifts it off the pedestal, then takes out the urn. Is that it? A worthless piece of junk, Magda observes scornfully, but Quentin is smiling broadly at his prize. No, this is not a worthless piece of junk, Quentin says gleefully as he takes the lid off. It is a very valuable and precious thing we have here. It contains a flame--and not just an ordinary flame, oh, no, no, no. This flame is capable of giving life! But if it were to be snuffed out--a life would be snuffed out with it. How will it happen? Just like that? he asks, snapping his fingers. Or will the energy be slowly drained out of her? Magda looks sick and disgusted, but Quentin gloats, We’ll know soon enough. Laughing all the while, he takes a handful of sand from a convenient flowerpot and sprinkles it on the fire till the flames are smothered. Goodbye, Laura, he tells his adversary exultantly.

In the drawing room at Collinwood, Laura suddenly realizes something is very wrong. No, no! she screams. She walks over to the fireplace to get warmer, but her life is draining away by the moment.

At the gazebo, Quentin--a very bad winner indeed--is still holding the now empty urn, still laughing triumphantly...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:48 AM »
This is the start of tape #101.  I'm back on the WP.  A lot seems to have happened.  Quentin somehow alive, a new Trask, Laura is back.  The kids have been out of Collinwood for awhile.  From here to the end of DS, I'm on commercially-released VHS, not fan-made cxopies on SLP.  The music is much better sounding. 

When I got these tapes from a thrift store in 2002,  I hesitated to buy them for one day.  In that time, someone else got there and bought everything from Barnabas becoming a vampire up through #100 as an arbitrary cutoff point, I guess.  They don't seem to have realized that the main story for  Barnabas as vampire comes a year before the backstory in 1795 of how he got that way, so fortunately I got that classic early storyline.  I also got most of 1897 and everything after.

The smoke from the school gets into Collinwood a bit...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »
Welcome back, MT! You've missed only a few episodes. Do you want to know how Quentin got restored?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
Absolutely not, DL, that's why I stayed out of the WP for this time.  Thanks.  This one stretch of DS storyline I don't know and I want to see it without knowing what's going to happen someday.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Smart move, MT! I hope that day will come soon!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
I finally got the chance to do some new captures for this ep, so the first batch of those captures, along with some set ups, have been posted to the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1897" and "Caption This! - 1897" boards.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »
By the way, against my will, I have gathered a bit about this stretch of story from the captures...  apparently zombie Q gets down into Barnabas's precious cellar... I've seen it seated obediently next to the coffin.  That was a surprise.  Ang was down there too I think.  DON'T TELL ME ANYTHING.  I want to see it and be surprised.  I figure there has to be a cheat or something.  Ang probably either manages to push time back to the moment of the stabbing so as to prevent his death (since no one talks about it later) or .... it was all a dream.  Ang was playing a scenario in Barnabas's brain, of what could happen, if he wasn't appreciative enough of her "help", and doesn't give her exactly what she wants in return for it.