Author Topic: Shadows at Sea  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows at Sea
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »
It never really occurred to me that the Fest would do a multi-day cruise. I've been picturing more of a one day event possibly cruising the NY harbor. Something like that would keep costs down because there would be no need for rooms. But perhaps the Fest really does have more ambitious ideas. And interestingly I did a Google search of some cruise lines and there are ones that seem to offer, say, 3 night Bahamas cruises for $159 to $169 a day, which is already pretty comparable to a regular Fest hotel room rate. The thing about those cruises, though, is that they disembark from Miami or Port Canaveral, FL - not NYC. But perhaps there are similar cruise types from NYC to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard, MA or some such. Or who knows - instead of disembarking from NYC, the Fest may decide to disembark from a FL city if the deal is right. And for many fans, flying to FL wouldn't be all that much different to flying to NY.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
One Life to Live did the cruise around the NYC harbor as their annual fan event a few years ago. I didn't go; the event sold out very quickly. It got mixed reviews. Some loved it. Some absolutely hated it. One actress refused to get on the boat at all. One of my friends said it reminded him of the trip that Lucy Ricardo and Fred Mertz took on the Staten Island ferry.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MUGGYY

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »
The thing about cruise ships is, they rarely get more that 3,000 to 4,000 feet away from land.  Of course, the land is below the ship, not next to it.   [ghost_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
A captain of a passenger ship, Muggyy, once told a nervous charge virtually the same thing:  "Land is usually no more than a mile or so away - straight down."

Gerard