Author Topic: OT - BOB HOPE DEAD AT 100  (Read 3201 times)

David

Re:OT - BOB HOPE DEAD AT 100
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2003, 08:08:38 AM »
A few more survivors from the Golden Age of Movies:

Gloria Stuart
Jane Wyman
Jane Russell
June Allyson
Cyd Charrise
Leslie Caron
Jennifer Jones

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2003, 09:09:40 AM »
What a sad day!  And only two months after he had just turned 100.  On the day of his birthday there were some lovely tributes dedicated to him.  President Bush awarded him the Bob Hope American Patriot Award,  they also renamed an intersection in Hollywood after him called Bob Hope Square, and Larry King had a lovely one hour tribute to him on his show.

When he heard of these things he said he couldn't believe it and was overwhelmed and touched by it all.  I believe that this was the reason why he passed when he did.  It was meant for him to see just how much we all loved & appreciated him for all the wonderful things he had done throughout his lifetime.  And Im so glad that he lived to see this.  Now, he can rest in peace.  God bless him.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2003, 04:12:32 PM »
Kate Jackson? I didn't know she was on one his specials. Your sig gave me a jolt! 8)
MM

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2003, 04:12:39 PM »
And the person who was on DS and Charlie's Angels would be?

Well, despite the fact that I hear Thayer David looked especially perky on his episode, I meant Kate Jackson.  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2003, 11:06:22 PM »
I had the great pleasure of seeing Mr. Hope perform while I was a student in the midwest.  Mr. Hope opened his act by saying to the audience:  "I see that they let out all of the patients from the Menninger Clinic to see my show tonight!"  Of course, Mr. Hope's quip elicted much laughter from the audience.  I believe that Mr. Hope also performed the song, "Buttons and Bows" from his "Son of Paleface" movie during the show.

As with Raineypark's Vietnam veteran brother, I am also very grateful that Mr. Hope entertained my late father (and about ten thousand other soldiers) at a USO show in North Africa nearly sixty years ago.  Rest in peace, Mr. Hope.

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2003, 04:01:16 AM »
Bob The Bartender wrote....
I had the great pleasure of seeing Mr. Hope perform while I was a student in the midwest.  Mr. Hope opened his act by saying to the audience:  "I see that they let out all of the patients from the Menninger Clinic to see my show tonight!"

Ahhh, the Sunflower State, where Menninger and Bob Dole references are the staple!

Unfortunately my hubby was unable to get to see Bob Hope while in Vietnam.  In '69 Mr. Hope was scheduled to perform for the airmen at Cam Rahn airbase and the performance was cancelled due to the Viet Cong's endless pummeling of the airbase with Mortar Rounds.

Rest well Mr. Hope! :'(

Always, Minja[/color]
who can't spell Cam Rahn
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2003, 05:32:03 AM »
And the person who was on DS and Charlie's Angels would be?

Well, despite the fact that I hear Thayer David looked especially perky on his episode, I meant Kate Jackson.  ;)

I knew that ;)

Kate Jackson? I didn't know she was on one his specials. 8)

Well, I'm just a fountain of rarely discussed DS related trivia. :D

And in yet another glimpse of things that will become available in the Members' Archive, here are two ads from that particular special, which aired on NBC on December 13, 1976. One without Kate's picture:

And one with:

I don't honestly remember much about her appearance, but the highlight from that week's TV Guide says "Scheduled comedy ... 'Santa's Angels,' a spoof of 'Charlie's Angels,' features Cannon, Jackson, Falana and Hope (as Santa Claus)" and the review from the December 15th issue of Daily Variety says "Not to be outdone by the characters he brings in as guests, Hope plays a flock himself...He and Kate Jackson are Ken and Barbie dolls in a Christmas sketch..." and "...Jackson, one of 'Charlie's Angels,' is fast on the patter with Hope..."

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2003, 10:01:59 AM »
i remember a portion of KATE JACKSON on BOB HOPES show quite vividly. it was during a stand up interview/joke session that he did with all or most of his guests. cant remember the jokes but i do remember BOB specifically pointed out that her 1st job on television was as a ghost on DARK SHADOWS. i think he was the only interviewer (at the time) to mention it. all other interviews i saw only mentioned her role on THE ROOKIES but not DARK SHADOWS.
BOB HOPES star on hollywood blvd is less than a block away from where i live and a wreath and tons of flowers, cards,etc adorn it. on the day he died, the press was all over the place with their live news vans etc just to get some footage of it.
i photographed BOB HOPE on the red carpet at the OSCARS many years ago and its on one of my websites along with many past and present stars.
http://surf.to/joesoscarphotos
someone mentioned OLIVIA deHAVILLAND would have made a great LIZ on DS. isnt JOAN FONTAINE her sister? didnt JOAN play a LIZ type character on a tv movie turkey called DARK MANSIONS?

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2003, 01:43:49 AM »
someone mentioned OLIVIA deHAVILLAND would have made a great LIZ on DS. isnt JOAN FONTAINE her sister? didnt JOAN play a LIZ type character on a tv movie turkey called DARK MANSIONS?

yes they are sisters but she'll always be Melaine to me! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2003, 01:44:03 PM »
Most interviews of Kate Jackson back in the day mentioned 2 things:

1) her first job on Dark Shadows (I remember Merv Griffin and the other guy, his name just left my head both mentioning it and she told the infamous "dress on fire" story), and

2) her love of Katharine Hepburn and how she'd leave flowers for her at her house on 49th Street and one day Hepburn herself opened the door and Jackson ran away with Hepburn yelling, "who are you?"
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2003, 01:50:39 PM »
A few more survivors from the Golden Age of Movies:

Gloria Stuart
Jane Wyman
Jane Russell
June Allyson
Cyd Charrise
Leslie Caron
Jennifer Jones
I'm gonna quibble here:
Leslie Caron?  She was a star in the 50s & 60s. . (I hardly think that makes her from the Golden Age of Movies which the 1930s, maybe 40s)

Jennifer Jones. . she's the Kate Capshaw of her day. . married to a big Hollywood player, David O'Selznick.. .yea sure she won one oscar but still. . .

June, Jane and Jane. .righto!
Julia99

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2003, 02:24:30 PM »
Yesterday I was reading an article on Bob Hope and it mentioned that he had made a movie with Katherine Hepburn--"The Iron Petticoat". I never even knew there was such a movie. I don't think it's even been shown on tv. Supposedly it's not very good but the two stars are good together.
MM

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2003, 08:05:25 PM »
Jennifer Jones. . she's the Kate Capshaw of her day. . married to a big Hollywood player, David O'Selznick.. .yea sure she won one oscar but still. . .

I saw a documentary about "Gone with the Wind".  David O wanted Jennifer Jones to play Scarlet.  Jones' screen tests were P.U.
The only thing I ever saw Kate Capshaw in was a "Indiana Jones" movie.  She was like nails on a chalkboard every time she was on screen.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer