Author Topic: DS run on SciFi to end Dec. 30  (Read 7520 times)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:DS run on SciFi to end Dec. 30
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2003, 05:59:49 AM »
That John Edward mentioned above is such a scam.  The ghosts on DS were much more realistic -- they didn't hang around TV studios "sending" letters to scam artists!

Sham on Sci-Fi for him.  Like ghosts coyly send him a "J" so he can ask if the ghost has a J in its name.  Guess ghosts like "Wheel of Fortune?"

Anyway, you can bet they edit that Edwards scam show much more than they edited DS!

My favorite Ross books are:  The Curse of Collinwood and The Vampire Beauty... but I know there were others I liked as well.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2003, 02:26:50 AM »
 :'(I'm devastated to read that DS will be ending----especially as it is ending incomplete. Thank heaven I'm getting the DVD's. I've tried to follow the airings of DS since the PBS days, and somehow the series managed to resurface even after some long delays. I'm keeping the faith that the same thing will transpire. If we keep up the pressure, I'm sure we will see it again -------somewhere.
                                                                 Misty :-[
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2003, 05:09:09 AM »
:'(I'm devastated to read that DS will be ending----especially as it is ending incomplete.
In some ways, I felt that the original ending aired on April 2, 1971 was itself incomplete.  I always considered the end of the 1841 storyline to have more of a poignant, misty feeling that I usually associate with endings -- not unlike the emotional farewells between Dorothy and her new friends in Oz before she left to return to Kansas.

To continue the parallel, the 1841 ending was followed by the fleeting glimpse back into the present.

Ben

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2003, 05:26:46 AM »
In some ways, I felt that the original ending aired on April 2, 1971 was itself incomplete.  I always considered the end of the 1841 storyline to have more of a poignant, misty feeling that I usually associate with endings -- not unlike the emotional farewells between Dorothy and her new friends in Oz before she left to return to Kansas.

To continue the parallel, the 1841 ending was followed by the fleeting glimpse back into the present.

Very well said.  Man, the closer we get to Dec. 30, 2003, the more that it's going to seem like an Irish wake and a Jewish Kaddish.  Oh, what a bummer.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2003, 06:26:22 AM »
I'm personally relieved by the decision.  The Scare Tactics ads were terrible and ruined the show as well as making me swear to never have cable TV.  (I'm sure I'm the only one in LA that doesn't!)

I say good ridence Sci-Fi!  They treated the show horribly.  Move over new opportunities.  I believe it will pop up again at another channel.  It seems to me that in one form or another the show has been in continuing syndication since at least 1975.

It may have a breather but it will be back.  You can't kill a vampire that easily!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2003, 11:46:36 PM »
You go ahead and VENT all you want; that's what we're here for!!

Thanks Patti, it's nice to hear that!   :-*
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2003, 12:29:24 PM »
I'm personally relieved by the decision.  The Scare Tactics ads were terrible and ruined the show as well as making me swear to never have cable TV.  (I'm sure I'm the only one in LA that doesn't!)

I say good ridence Sci-Fi!  They treated the show horribly.  Move over new opportunities.  I believe it will pop up again at another channel.  It seems to me that in one form or another the show has been in continuing syndication since at least 1975.

Sci-Fi made such an appropriate hellabaloo about Dark Shadows when it began airing the series, pointing out the fact that this was the first show they bought for their forthcoming network.  There were advertisements galore during the initial run.  The channel broadcast the documentary Dark Shadows: Behind the Scenes.  Even several years later, it still gave DS and the fans respect.  Remember that short period, I believe it was in 1999 or maybe early 2000, when the network aired it twice - once during its usual time slot in the morning, and then again around 10:30 at night?  The latter was only one episode of the Barnabas-arrives story, if my memory serves me correctly.  The night-time airing lasted maybe a month or so.  Now it wants to just shove DS out of the way with no fanfare or farewell.

I miss the "old" Sci-Fi, the one that broadcast classic TV programs and theatrical films.  There were some very decent documentaries, and those delightful "shorts".  Now we get schlocky "movies" that are nothing but released-straight-to-video stuff one finds on the shelves at Blockbusters, and programs with "psychic" hucksters and Beverly Hills 90210ish has-beens.  And they think this will "appeal" more to the "youth market".  I guess in the highly competitive world of TV programming, quality is no longer an issue.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2003, 05:28:21 PM »
they have gone down in trying to get the teens to watch
the movies they have had on lately!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2003, 09:42:35 PM »
they have gone down in trying to get the teens to watch
the movies they have had on lately!

Since alot of you have teens, can I ask if it's been successful? Does anyone notice their teen watching anything on Sci-Fi? (I tried to get my 12-year old to watch a black & white euhh old movie[/i] and you'dve thought I made her eat buggers!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2003, 10:02:51 PM »
Mine is 16....never watches ANYTHING on the Sci Fi channel....and loves old black and white films....especially the old horror movies because "they have more atmosphere".  I tend to think it's because she grew up on them....even if she doesn't actually remember it, she's been watching old movies with me since she was a baby.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2003, 12:45:00 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but I do watch SciFi's programming. My parents were huge Farscape devotees and we all watch the reruns of Babylon Five.

Some of their shows are interesting to me and they occasionally run those cheesy bad TV movies that I have an unfortunate addiction to.

My feelings about the DS cancellation are mixed. On the one hand, it's kind of a bummer, but I haven't been watching the show with any regularity in months and months.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2003, 01:06:21 AM »
I can say neither my 12 year old or l4 year old ever watch Sci-fi.  It would be the last place they would surf.  I can also speak for the older half the 21 year old and 20 year old don't watch either.  They think the shows on Sci-fi is the most lame of channels.

Gerard,  I find most of the TV shows on the tube to be terrible lately.  Hate, Hate, Hate, reality TV.  I tend to watch a lot of TCM.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2003, 06:36:36 AM »
The state of primetime tv, has been on a downward spiral for years now.  Mainly because the networks dont give their show a chance,

Most of the hot shows of the last 4 years have all been on a cable network.  HBO's, Showtime, FX, MTV, Comedy Central, etc.

Just imagine if a new version of Dark Shadows did come to the main networks, most likely it would be cancel within weeks.

Cable Television has come along way, and the Old Dark Shadows deserved a home, on a network that will support it and nuture it.

And who knows if it succeds on that network, maybe it would be interested in New Version OF DARK SHADOWS.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2003, 04:44:31 PM »
Since alot of you have teens, can I ask if it's been successful? Does anyone notice their teen watching anything on Sci-Fi? (I tried to get my 12-year old to watch a black & white euhh old movie[/i] and you'dve thought I made her eat buggers!
i agree my 12 year woukd not watch it either!
soon they'll be begging for us to come back over there at SCI FI

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2003, 01:28:48 PM »
LOL, I got 1227.  ...  But we won't know SciFi's December schedule until Nov. 1, so this is all tentative anyway because we can only follow ShadowGram's reported pre-emptions.

I just checked Sci-Fi's schedulebot for December and you're right, Midnite - the last episode to run will be #1227. So, that will leave the last 18 episodes (#1228-#1245) unshown.