Author Topic: Shows revive memories of childhood innocence  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Shows revive memories of childhood innocence
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
An article entitled Shows revive memories of childhood innocence references DS, how the author and his sister (who weren't supposed to watch) sneaked peeks, and the author's reminiscences about seeing Frid do a Shakespeare show at the Barter Theater in Abingdon, Va.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shows revive memories of childhood innocence
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »
I wasn't familiar with all of the shows mentioned, and my list would include others, such as "Bewitched," "The Brady Bunch," "I Love Lucy" (re-runs), "Gomer Pyle," "The Beverly Hillbillies," to name the first few that come to mind.  And "Dark Shadows" was in a category all its own.  How nice to read such a complimentary description of meeting Jonathan Frid as a child.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 01:47:55 AM »
 Like the author of the article I too wasn't allowed to watch Dark Shadows. I wonder why our parents didn't want us to watch the show. Was it because they thought we would turn into Satan worshipers or were they just homophobic???

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:55:07 AM »
Like the author of the article I too wasn't allowed to watch Dark Shadows. I wonder why our parents didn't want us to watch the show. Was it because they thought we would turn into Satan worshipers or were they just homophobic???

In my case, it was because (and I've mentioned this before) my mom didn't want me to watch that "spooky crap."  She didn't like spooky things.  Plus, it came on opposite Art Linkletter's House Party which my mom faithfully watched (and later, when Art left the air, The Galloping Gourmet took over which she also adored).  But I won the battle through my own stubborness.  It was one of the few times I did.  The other time was when I finally, absolutely, totally refused to eat kiszka (pronounced keesh-kah)......Polish blood sausage.  You'd think someone who loved blood, gore and Dark Shadows would also enjoy kiszka.  But not me.  One day I simply refused to eat it.  I pushed it away and my mom did the usual you-will-not-leave-the-table-until-you-eat-your-kiszka.  So I closed my mouth, folded my arms and sat there for several hours.  She caved.  From that point on, when she made blood sausage, she made me a hot dog.

Gerard

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:17:57 AM »
From that point on, when she made blood sausage, she made me a hot dog.
Good one! [laughing4]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:53:15 AM »
My mother wasn't crazy about my watching DS either.  She thought Barnabas was a bad example/bad hero and soaps a waste of viewing time.

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 04:21:41 AM »
My mother wasn't crazy about my watching DS either.  She thought Barnabas was a bad example/bad hero

Well, DUH! However, my mom recognized a good story when she saw one, so she managed to overlook that and, in fact, was a DS fan herself. Though, honestly, parents who feared Barnabas was being set up as an example probably weren't very familiar with the show. I mean, Barn's behavior was never intended to be imitated in any way, shape or form and it looked more to me like the writers went out of their way to show that most of what Barn did brought him nothing but misery and heartache. That couldn't have been lost on most kids - except maybe really young ones - and most really young ones probably shouldn't have been watching anyway. But most of us weren't really young when the show was on. We were old enough to get it. Or at least the kids I knew were.

I wonder why our parents didn't want us to watch the show.

Most were probably just afraid DS would cause their kids nightmares.

Was it because they thought we would turn into Satan worshipers

Though there were certainly more than a few religious fanatics who thought DS might just do that - as insane as that might seem to most of us.  ::)  And a few of them did actually manage to get DS taken off the air for a time in a few areas - but fan outcry usually managed to get DS right back on the air before too long.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 05:19:21 AM »
Well, DUH! However, my mom recognized a good story when she saw one, so she managed to overlook that and, in fact, was a DS fan herself. Though, honestly, parents who feared Barnabas was being set up as an example probably weren't very familiar with the show. I mean, Barn's behavior was never intended to be imitated in any way, shape or form and it looked more to me like the writers went out of their way to show that most of what Barn did brought him nothing but misery and heartache. That couldn't have been lost on most kids.

I remember telling Mom I felt more sorry for Barnabas than anything else and he was fascinating to watch.  However, once she found out Joan Bennett was on the show  Mom gave it a little more credit.  She never watched it though.  My father, after returning, watched DS in the afternoon when it aired again in the 1980s and adored the 1897 storyline, particularly the character o Count Petofi.

My parents were very active in our church but never viewed the show as being satanic in nature.

Nancy

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to this board and I've really enjoyed reading the posts for a week. This is my first post. I echo the remarks here that DS was a great show to grow up watching.
Sally Collins

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
Welcome, sallycollins! I hope you'll post often.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »
I was never an innocent child. Mama let me watch DS.

My favorite show was Mister Ed. Still is.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
Stop making me think about childhood and my family, everybody!   I'd almost forgotten!  Now I have to start forgetting all over again!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »
Who knows how long it might have taken me to find DS when it first hit the air, if my Mom hadn't turned it on that first time just to see Joan Bennett.   [snow_wink]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 02:00:25 AM »
Gerard, you darling....I hadn't thought of "The Galloping Gourmet" in more than 20 years.

Hugs to you.

welcome sallycollins!
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 03:02:13 AM »
Gerard, you darling....I hadn't thought of "The Galloping Gourmet" in more than 20 years.

My mother, sister, and I also liked Graham Kerr.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor