Author Topic: Joel Crothers reference in a book  (Read 965 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Joel Crothers reference in a book
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »
In a book by Felice Picano called Art & Sex in Greenwich Village, there is a small paragraph about Joel Crothers with some information on him.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Joel Crothers reference in a book
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »
Joel is also mentioned in some diary excerpts that Felice published several years ago in a book called The Violet Quill Reader. 

Thanks!

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:56:26 AM »
Details, please!  You can IM me if you can....

David

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 01:38:04 AM »
No need to IM or PM you, Chartles. Maybe it's time we stopped being pretentious about someone who was NEVER in the closet.
Joel Crothers was an out gay man.
In the early 80s I used to see him at a gay bar in Greenwich Village--believe me, he was no closet case.

Crothers never hid it, so why should we walk on eggshells around it?

I don't know what's in the book Joey references, but my post offers some simple, real, and readily available facts about how Joel Crothers lived his life.
If he was comfortable talking about it openly, then we should  feel free to do likewise.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 03:52:50 AM »
As I've explained before, the issue, from a moderator's viewpoint, isn't about his sexuality; it's about gossip vs. published information, and the reason for edits in the topic is that there's no way to determine how much of hearsay is truth.  Neither MB, Dom or I have yet to see the soap mag interview that was mentioned, and that's why we once asked you for more details about the article.

Picano's book is searchable on Amazon, btw, and actually there are 4 pages about Crothers-- beginning on p. 97, the author mentions his boyfriend of 4 years, how he encouraged him to audition for Torch Song, and other details.  He had an IQ of 155, awesome.

David

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »
Oy, vey, I can't recall the name of the soap mag article, it was from the early 80s & the mag itself went out of business long ago.
But I do remember reading it at the time.

The Louis Edmonds story is true & I heard it directly from him.
Louis really admired Crothers for his openess at such an early time.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:11 AM »
It's nice to hear that Mr. Crothers was so open about his sexual orientation more than 40 years ago, at a time "Before Stonewall" when many people were still in the closet.  What is most disturbing to me is that in 2010 many daytime actors are forced (by employers and/or agents--or by personal ambition) to romance/marry "beards," who are often women working on the very same show as the actor.  This is especially true, it seems, of the Disney/ABC daytime shows.  As far as I can tell, only one male actor who appears on both an ABC daytime show and a primetime show has refused to discuss his personal life--and has not linked himself with any women (as in girlfriend or marriage).  His silence on this subject speaks volumes, and is preferable to his denial of his personal orientation.

Brian