Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0405  (Read 1207 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0405
« on: October 12, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0405
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 06:05:31 PM »
Golly, what a scene.  Angelique, as the culmination of all her scheming to induce Barnabas to love her of his own free will, finally induces him to shoot her of his own free will.  And then she calls a horrific curse down upon the man she loves.  Jonathan Frid does a great scream.  It's the sort of scene where, at the end of the episode, I turn off the TV and sit there for minutes on end, staring at the TV screen thinking of....nothing.  Just sitting there not letting go of it.  Or else it's not letting go of me.

It was sweet to see Barnabas and Josette enjoy a few moments of happiness together, although Josette didn't lose her head so far as to forget Barnabas's marriage to Angelique.  As a Catholic, she must be wondering exactly how it is going to be disposed of.

That tent that Natalie was wearing - was it a dress or a dressing gown?  I wish I could have watched Grayson Hall putting it on.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:35 AM »
WOW!!! [wow] That was so exciting!!  [hall_shocked] This is the milestone episode when we find out how Barnabas became a vampire. [milestone] Kudos to JF and LP - their acting was fabulous! [clap2] I was so excited, I watched those last scenes again! It's episodes like this one that illustrates just how much I love DS! [luv] I was yelling at the screen for Barnabas to shoot Angelique again to shut her up! [hall2_wink]

The scene when Barnabas gave Josette the music box was very bittersweet. Josette looked so beautiful! [gorgeous]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hall2_cool] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
The cursing scene may be the best scene in DS... tonight DS came up with a friend.   I talked about the possible camp in 1968, and he said, DS was always basically tongue-in-cheek, right?    I appreciate the good, serious storylines more and more as I get older.    They're adult drama, no question.

That was a great scream from JF.    We can hear all the innocence being ripped out of him.   Too bad about the cheap bat itself.    Barnabas could have shot her again to keep her from completing the speech, but I guess he froze.

It's hard to make a viewer, or me anyway, genuinely hate a character.    In the story leading up to this, they really make me hate Angelique. 

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »
It's hard to make a viewer, or me anyway, genuinely hate a character.    In the story leading up to this, they really make me hate Angelique. 

It's odd isn't it? The *first* viewing of DS I ever did I was in college and missed 1795 almost completely. I don't think I saw more than 3 episodes. (The same can be said of 1968 and the Cassandralique episodes). So my first opinions of Angelique were formed entirely on 1897 and the Leviathan episodes where she was somewhat helpful. It really was kind of a slap in the face, in the woke me up sense, to later view 1795 and see what a horrible person she was!

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:15:14 PM »
How far away does a witch have to be from her victim in order for a spell to take effect? Obviously, Angelique couldn't harm Josette from such a great distance. Or maybe knowing the location of one's victim would be sufficient, and the distance between them doesn't really matter.

In a previous episode, Angelique was able to force Barnabas to drop the knife he was threatening her with. But now she can't even stop him from shooting her? Perhaps she can't perform two spells at once. Too bad she hasn't learned how to multitask.  [hall_grin]

Excellent excellent episode!  [hall2_cool]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »
I think Barnabas just caught her by surprise.   She didn't have enough time to react.   I doubt she keeps up a sort of witchy "force field" around herself at every moment.

[female_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
I also love how Barnabas is carrying the pistol case around in front of everyone without anyone suspecting what he might be up to.

What a shame Clarice Blackburn was stuck playing Mrs "Would anyone care for some tea?" Johnson for so much of the series when she was clearly such a versatile and talented actress.  She is truly phenomenal in this episode.