Author Topic: Episode #1176  (Read 871 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Episode #1176
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:45:36 AM »
Two interesting bits of dialogue from Ep #1176 - though they're interesting for very different reasons.  [santa_wink]

First up, this:

[spoiler]
GERARD
... This case can be easily solved. All we have to do is find the head and prove that it has been destroyed. Quentin can no longer be possessed with something that doesn't exist. ...
[/spoiler]
Huh? Just how does one go about finding something that's been destroyed and doesn't exist?  [idontknow]

If that's the way Sam Hall actually wrote the dialogue, meaning it wasn't somehow twisted in James Storm's delivery, one really has to wonder what the hell sort of logic Hall was working from when he wrote it?!  [lghy]

And then there's this fascinating exchange between Angelique and Julia:

[spoiler]
ANGELIQUE
(In despair)
Where is Barnabas? Julia,  I would give every power I possess right now if I could just see where he is.

JULIA
(Skeptical)
Are you really in love with him?

ANGELIQUE
(Surprised)
You still doubt me?

JULIA
I don't know.
(Accepting)
No. I suppose I don't. Not anymore.

ANGELIQUE
The only comfort I have is that I think he understood at last that I love him.
[/spoiler]
That would certainly seem to  poke a hole into any theories that the show used Barnabas' [spoiler]admission of love for Angelique simply to correlate it with the intial scene between Bramwell and Catherine in 1841PT. For one, 1841PT itself wouldn't show up until Ep #1186, another 10 episodes, and the scene between Bramwell and Catherine wouldn't show up until Ep #1197, another 21 episodes - almost a full month. The way for Barnabas' admission of love[/spoiler] was definitelybeing paved here in Ep #1176, if not actually as far back as Ep #1169 while Barnabas thanked Angelique for [spoiler]lifting her curse.[/spoiler]

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #1176
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:29:36 AM »
First up, this:

[spoiler]
GERARD
... This case can be easily solved. All we have to do is find the head and prove that it has been destroyed. Quentin can no longer be possessed with something that doesn't exist. ...
[/spoiler]
Huh? Just how does one go about finding something that's been destroyed and doesn't exist?  [idontknow]

If that's the way Sam Hall actually wrote the dialogue, meaning it wasn't somehow twisted in James Storm's delivery, one really has to wonder what the hell sort of logic Hall was working from when he wrote it?!  [lghy]

Well what I understood that to mean was that it still existed. But they were going to find it first and make it look like it was destroyed so everyone would think that it no longer existed.

At least that is what I get out of the line, But maybe Sam Hall and I think alike. That is why I'm under the impression that I understand  what they were trying to convey.

FireRose

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 01:58:52 AM »
Well what I understood that to mean was that it still existed. But they were going to find it first and make it look like it was destroyed so everyone would think that it no longer existed.

The way I presented them taken out of context, that explanation could work. But the way the scene plays out before 'Gerard' delivers the lines I quoted is that [spoiler]Flora asks where the head is now and Leticia tells her that it had been destroyed. So, they're operating from the belief that the head has been destroyed and it's impossible for it to have possessed Quentin - not that it's still perfectly capbale of possessing anyone.  :)

Of course, the audience and 'Gerard' both know that the head wasn't actually destroyed - not to mention that 'Gerard' is actually the one possessed. But the logic of the scene should be following what Leticia believes, with 'Gerard' going along with that belief to cover the fact that he's been possessed, so none of that actually factors in.  [b003][/spoiler]

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:33:56 AM »
Perhaps Sam Hall was tired when he wrote those scenes and he just thought it made sense. Or he was on a deadline and had to come up with something quick.

FireRose