Author Topic: Barnabas Collins' supernatural powers in 1967  (Read 3721 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Barnabas Collins' supernatural powers in 1967
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:39:23 AM »
During the 1967 storyline Barnabas confides to his victim-slave Carolyn that he plans to retaliate against Dr. Julia Hoffman by using abilities he learned from an Indian warlock he had met in Barbados, who had given Barnabas the ability to "plant a germ in someone else's mind and watch it spread."  He subsequently uses that ability with terrifying effect on Julia Hoffman.

If Barnabas really had acquired such paranormal abilities as that, why didn't he use them on Angelique in 1795 or on Cassandra in 1968?
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline millicent

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas Collins' supernatural powers in 1967
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 01:46:17 AM »
Lol. Maybe he forgot.  ;D

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:43:56 AM »
It seems like there's a heirarchy of supernatural powers on the show;  you can only cast a spell on someone if you're more powerful than they are.  I think it was in 1795 when Joshua called in some witch woman to try to release Barnabas from his curse, but she wasn't as powerful as Angelique, so she ended up burning in flame.  Only Nicolas Blair seemed to be able to cast spells on her, at least that I can remember.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:46:19 AM »
Hi Millicent, welcome!

I think, and of course probably everyone knows, that TPTB decided to make Barnabas into an innocent; after they realized they couldn't kill him off like they had first planned. ::).

But, during the show they keep switching back to him knowing lots of occult things. Doesn't he do some sort of spell during 1897? Trying to help Quentin, and then again to hurt Laura? My memory might not be that great since I only watched 1897 once. ???

Misa

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:14:37 AM »
I think, and of course probably everyone knows, that TPTB decided to make Barnabas into an innocent; after they realized they couldn't kill him off like they had first planned. ::).

I think you are dead on Misa.  I just chalk things like this up to continuity bloopers!  If I dwelled on them I'd stop watching the show, LOL!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 08:10:02 AM »
If Barnabas really had acquired such paranormal abilities as that, why didn't he use them on Angelique in 1795 or on Cassandra in 1968?

I think he might have used this knowledge successfully on the 1795 Angelique, but she seemed to gain powers in death, making Cassandra and even the 1897 Angelique far too powerful.  However, one of his spells did have an effect on PT Ange, who was not a full-fledged witch-- [spoiler]an incantation in front of her portrait allowed him to learn her secret by seeing through her eyes, which she sensed and also caused her eyes to burn.[/spoiler]Imagine how useful it would have been on RT Angelique's portrait.

I recall that he was also able to distract Laura in 1897 by creating thunder at the right moment.  But it seems unclear where he acquired that particular power.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:40:06 PM »
I think the thunder thing was one of his innate supernatural abilities as a vampire.  In some legends vampires have control over the weather.

Barnabas' powers were inconsistent at times and we didn't see some of them very often.  For example, Barnabas definitely had supernatural physical strength as a vampire but we rarely saw that displayed onscreen with a few exceptions - most notably "the one-handed strangulations of doom" and the Dave Woodard window bars which happened offscreen.

His powers seemed to be a combination of innate vampiric powers and of things he learned during his travels.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »
Suddenly I feel my own education missed out on quite a few of the essentials.  Imagine trying to get by in life without being able to curse your enemies for all of eternity.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »
Suddenly I feel my own education missed out on quite a few of the essentials.  Imagine trying to get by in life without being able to curse your enemies for all of eternity.

You must not be Sicilian.  We toss curses at one another like throw pillows...... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:34:21 PM »
You must not be Sicilian.  We toss curses at one another like throw pillows...... ;)

LOL!  Reminds me of that scene in Moonstruck at the airport when the old lady tells Cher she put a curse on a plane her sister is on back to Palermo because she'd found out 50 years previous said sister had stolen a man from her, and just for the hell of it too!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »
LOL!  Reminds me of that scene in Moonstruck at the airport when the old lady tells Cher she put a curse on a plane her sister is on back to Palermo ......

Actually, the best line in that movie is "...and someday you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!!".......(wearing red to a funeral being the MOST insulting thing anyone could do).....but we're sliding off topic here....... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline millicent

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »
Hi Millicent, welcome!

Hey Misa! Thanks.  :) Love this board. MagnusTrask told me about it. I love it!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
LOL!  Reminds me of that scene in Moonstruck at the airport when the old lady tells Cher she put a curse on a plane her sister is on back to Palermo ......

Actually, the best line in that movie is "...and someday you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!!".......(wearing red to a funeral being the MOST insulting thing anyone could do).....but we're sliding off topic here....... ::)

Was there a bad line in that movie?  LOL!  The above you mentioned is probably my favorite from the flick, that and the old man crying at the end and then Vincent Gardenia asks, "What's wrong Pop?" and he says, "I'm confused!" ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 05:37:02 PM »
I think the thunder thing was one of his innate supernatural abilities as a vampire.  In some legends vampires have control over the weather.

PennyDreadful, I was hoping you'd respond.  ;)  Thanks!  Now that you've mentioned it, didn't Stoker give that power to Dracula?

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 10:08:21 PM »
Hi Midnite, IIRC Stoker's Dracula did indeed possess that ability!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com