Poll

Which DS painting fascinates you and intrigues your imagination the most?

Portrait of Barnabas Collins from 1795
7 (22.6%)
Portrait of Barnabas Collins from 1967
2 (6.5%)
Portrait of Quentin Collins (normal appearance)
1 (3.2%)
Portrait of Quentin Collins (as a werewolf)
1 (3.2%)
Portrait of Quentin Collins (aged, disfigured)
3 (9.7%)
Portrait of Angelique from 1795 (normal appearance)
2 (6.5%)
Portrait of Angelique from 1795 (aged 200 years by Sam Evans)
0 (0%)
Portrait of Josette DuPres (normal appearance)
8 (25.8%)
Portrait of Josette DuPres (disfigured by Angelique's powers)
0 (0%)
Portrait of Angelique (Parallel Time)
5 (16.1%)
Portrait of Amanda Harris
0 (0%)
Other (please name in group posts)
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: December 19, 2005, 04:26:33 AM

Author Topic: Paintings, portraits  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Paintings, portraits
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 02:58:54 AM »
My favorites are Josette's and the Barnabas's from 1795. I loved Josette stepping out of her portrait.

I thought Quentin's was pretty fascinating because of the power it holds (ages, turns into the werewolf).

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 05:36:32 AM »
One painting that I found interesting if not particularly mysterious or creepy, etc., was the one of the children Tad and Carrie in 1840.  Because it's certainly unusual for the heir of the town's richest family, of any age and in any time,  to have a portrait (not exactly a quick, chance snapshot) painted with the grand-daughter of a former family servant.  No matter how trusted with family secrets the former servant was, and no matter how friendly the children were.  One's left to wonder whose idea that painting was supposed to be.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 06:38:26 AM »
I don't recall the portrait of Tad and Carrie, does anyone have a screen capture of it?

Misa

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 07:40:23 AM »
I am the most fascinated by the "normal" painting of Josette Dupres. It was all the more chilling in that it was so innocent and mild looking. What's so interesting is that (one could argue) it seemed to represent Josette's subconscious and had a life of its own. I don't recall in 1795 Josette connecting to it one way or another, and in 1897 when it was tormenting Kitty, if Kitty was actually Josette reincarnation, Kitty was terrified by it, and when they swirled back to 1795 Josette/Kitty (if she was the reincarnation) were just as bewildered and disassociated when talking about it.
I am a bit confused by Barnabas' painting as it was done while he was still living yet it's rather hostile. Wasn't the living Barnabas a good natured easy-going guy? I could see it more as a post vampire-Barnie painting instead.

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 02:13:29 PM »
There was also that episode where Josette aka Lady Kitty Hampshire steps IN to her portrait, takes Barnabas' hand, and takes him to 1796 with her.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 04:21:04 PM »
I am a bit confused by Barnabas' painting as it was done while he was still living yet it's rather hostile. Wasn't the living Barnabas a good natured easy-going guy? I could see it more as a post vampire-Barnie painting instead.

I agree Stefan, this portrait is horrible.  It's unfortunate that they didn't paint it after Frid was hired.  Oh I know they put the face in afterwards, but before he was hired Bob Costello sat for the bulk of it and as he was going bald he did one of those narly "comb-overs" of what hair he had left, hence the triangle bangs on Barnabas that I've always hated.  I loved it when turning on an ep after Jonathan had had a recent haircut and the bangs were gone.  He looks MUCH better w/out them (1897 for example, or when he first appears on the show).

It also would have been nice if they'd known from the start that Barnabas was going to stay longer than 13 weeks, w/the "flashback" to his kinder, more gentler days, so that we could have gotten the proper portrait, one of a sweet-natured young man w/kinder eyes.  Remember that before they decided to keep him around and do that plotline that he was somewhat of a rich bastard who stole, or attempted at least, his uncles young new wife w/out any conscience.  That persona fits the existing portrait, but once they decided to make him the victim, it doesn't work anymore.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 05:47:43 PM »
Had another thought, I like to think that the Barnabas of PT, aka Bramwell's father, had better hair!  LOL!  Maybe like his son who had AWESOME hair!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 07:00:09 PM »
I don't recall the portrait of Tad and Carrie, does anyone have a screen capture of it?

D_Friedlander would need to provide more information about it.  She may be referring to the painting that hung in the playroom, but I don't recall that its subjects were ever said to be Tad and Carrie.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 09:49:33 AM »
I was always fond of Barnabas's cool Napaleon hair... it established visually right away that he was from another time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2005, 07:13:05 PM »
I was always fond of Barnabas's cool Napaleon hair... it established visually right away that he was from another time.

I also dig the pointy bangs.   :)
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2005, 10:33:54 PM »

D_Friedlander would need to provide more information about it.  She may be referring to the painting that hung in the playroom, but I don't recall that its subjects were ever said to be Tad and Carrie.

I think they showed it once--- it was a blonde little girl and dark-haired little boy, in the playroom, IIRC, seen behind Samantha when she first went in there and explained why she kept the childish toys for the son she believed dead.  Given that the original story was supposed to be about Tad and Carrie and their encounters with Gerard, I assumed that's who the kids were.  But then the story moved out of that setting completely, and David Henesy was soon gone, so it just went away.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2005, 11:51:40 PM »
I think they showed it once--- it was a blonde little girl and dark-haired little boy, in the playroom, IIRC, seen behind Samantha when she first went in there and explained why she kept the childish toys for the son she believed dead.  Given that the original story was supposed to be about Tad and Carrie and their encounters with Gerard, I assumed that's who the kids were.

On DS (and particularly in real life  ;)) it's very dangerous to assume.  [b003]

That portrait is seen in 1995, 1970 and 1840 (even after the scene with Samantha), but we're never actually told that it's a portrait of Tad and Carrie. That might have been what they were trying to imply - but for all we know it could have conceivably been a portrait of any Collins children - perhaps even two of Gabriel and Edith's unseen children...