Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0983  (Read 806 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0983
« on: September 25, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »
Robservations #983

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0983

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »
Final?  Don Briscoe VO.  Did he have a big medical problem coming upon him at this point?  A moment between Chris and Maggie that could have been enlightening, hed she been listening very closely:  Chris talks about Angelique as having been "A legend in her own time... a legend anyone would find it difficult to live with."  It probably sounded to Maggie as if he was saying Ang found it difficult to be a legend, or Maggie only picked up that she was worshipped, since everything was moving by so fast.  What Chris was really saying was that Ang was hard to live with, not beloved by, say, her husband, who had to live most closely with her.  Maggie could have really used some clarity in people's word choices right about then...

I'm certainly not picking up any sense that Angelique was such a superior person, but then I'm a DS viewer who comes from a different universe, who has been through stuff with her.... and nothing said about her indicates a decent person.  Quentin glares angrily every time she's brought up.  Olivier in Rebecca didn't, did he?  [spoiler]He's giving things away a bit, there.

Let me start again... There's a certain kind of "superior" human being, someone cultured, knowledgeable, possibly artistic, assured, magnetic, never at a loss in any situation, dominant, perhaps fascinating in unpredictable ways... you feel you're more than you are, just by having him/her accept you.  That's what Angelique and the first Mrs. DeWinter seem to have been.  Someone in my family fell vaguely into the personality type, I think.  Eventually I guess you find them lacking in the more human qualities.  Maybe they lock you into a very unhealthy dominant-submissive symbiosis.

If she was "great" it was in the same sense as Peter the Great, who was very cultured, decisive, forward-looking, but ruthless.  Remember, Hitler made the cover of Time as their Man of the Year, once.[/spoiler]

Daniel aka PT David chides PT Liz for eavesdropping outside the Drawing Room!   I'm keeping eyes and ears peeled for ironic or clever opposite moments, this time around.  Lydia in 2010 talked about opposites within PT, not just between RT and PT, like [spoiler](Cyrus/Yaeger)[/spoiler].  Quentin to Maggie: "To know know know you is to love love love you."  Pardon my stutter. 

[spoiler]Was this cliffhanger resolved?  It seems as if it must be Ang's ghost, humming a lullaby in the Room, but did she have a ghost, ever?  Well, this is the evidence I guess, even if there weren't other manifestations.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Yes, I guess this must be Don Briscoe's last VO.

Quentin barks out orders at Chris. I think when he's talking to Maggie, Chris is [spoiler]trying to be diplomatic even while his comments are totally ironic. I suppose Angelique must have tried and failed to add his name to her Little Black Book. But poor Maggie can't see the irony and takes everything he says literally. [/spoiler]

Yes, Quentin does glare at the mention of Angelique's name. [spoiler]But we won't find out why for a long time.[/spoiler]

Nice Lydia 2010 comment about PT opposites! Very apropos.

I don't remember if the cliffhanger of the invisible hummer was ever resolved. [spoiler]It might have been something the writers threw in, figuring they'd work it out somehow later. I always assumed it was some manifestation of Angelique.[/spoiler]

Sorry about all the spoilers! The two kids are having fun, aren't they! It seems that Hoffman has been giving Daniel extra hating lessons. The whole "conferring with the gardener" business is straight out of Rebecca. I wonder who did the actual humming--it sounded like an adult voice.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
Daniel is planning to drive the stepmother out of the house. His PT time mother is his stepmother in regular time. 
Chris is a lawyer and caretaker of the estate and gets off work at 2 p.m. Maggie seems to be more happy with him than her husband.
There is a secret panel in Angelique's room.  The humming is obviously an adult and not Amy which it proves to be.
Doesn't Quentin have people to take care of Bruno?  It makes it seem as if he is more important than anything else to Mr. Collins.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 04:48:53 AM »
Daniel is one nasty, creepy little kid. He manhandles Amy, talks back to Elizabeth and is absolutely awful to Maggie. He obviously adored Angelique but his behavior is genuinely disturbing.
Elizabeth seems friendly enough to Maggie but she seems to have her own agenda. Amy seems to be the only member of the household to sincerely welcome Maggie. It's a sweet gesture. In contrast to the others, Amy seems somehow unspoiled and unselfish, though she is understandably somewhat frightened of Daniel.
Chris Collins is quite the enigma. He's a lawyer and manages the estate as well. Which leaves no time for a storyline. I wonder if they did have something planned for Chris but had to abort it when Don Briscoe was no longer able to continue on the show. I know that[spoiler]Larry Chase takes over the function of the family lawyer but was Chris supposed to die in the same fashion?[/spoiler]
So we have now met three characters who did not worship at the shrine of Angelique. Carolyn has already explained why she disliked her. That would be enough for Elizabeth as well, though we get more information later on. But we never do get the complete story as to why Chris disliked her. Interestingly, he is, thus far, the only man to express it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 05:54:01 AM »
[spoiler]As far as I'm concerned, Quentin is broadcasting his distaste for Angelique frequently.  He seems a lot more transparent than he's supposed to be.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor