Author Topic: The otherworldly climate of Collinsport, Maine  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
The otherworldly climate of Collinsport, Maine
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:59:14 PM »
I've often been struck by the fact that, even though the series takes place in the frigid state of Maine, it never seems to be wintertime at Collinwood.  Where are the snowdrifts, where are the fur-lined parkas, where are the leafless trees?  And why is it that none of the thunderstorms ever seem to bring any rain with them?

Of course, I realize that this is basically a result of budgetary restrictions, but I was wondering if anyone else ever noticed this peculiar phenomenon.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The otherworldly climate of Collinsport, Maine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »
Definitely!  There's not only never a hint of snow, there's not usually a hint of it being extremely cold, either.  Even when they wear coats, they don't seem to be extremely bundled up.  However, it does storm just about every night.  [santa_smiley]
Josette

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:10:06 PM »
it does storm just about every night.

1897 was an especially wild and stormy year. Very dark too.

Another thing is that though sometimes it's actually February and "Winter" (as the year Josette took her tumble in 1795) their cloaks are of the mildest sort with most of the arms bare. And usually the front door has only one or two cloaks, depending on whose in the segment.

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 03:01:56 PM »
I have always wondered why they never did the snow or warmer clothing. Even with all the thunderstorms there was hardly ever any rain with it. I do recall a couple episode that you seen rain coming down the window or a wet umbrella.

[8_2_81]

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:17:52 PM »
With the weather that mild as seen in DS, it sure must have saved on heating bills. The only heat sources seen on the show were the fireplaces in the individual rooms.  No oil or propane delivery trucks, nor space heaters, ever made their appearances on DS.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »
It was the fact that it never snowed  that was funny to me i quess David never got a snow day but he did seem to have a
a lot of free time for a kid [8_2_77]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »
of course not.    he had to grow up to become louis edmonds some day.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 07:40:51 PM »
Where are the snowdrifts

Actually, even though it *is* Maine, Collinsport is a port town, in other words--on the water--and most port towns see very little snow, even ones in Maine, as most storms would blow out to sea before any significant snow would accumulate.  That being said, this doesn't mean that a town on the water, like Collinsport, wouldn't occaisionly get blasted w/a storm.  Most snow in Maine falls inland.  And how do I know this you ask?  Because my boss is from Maine, LOL!  (though I hate to saddle the great state of Maine w/her, LOL!  ;))
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 09:05:07 PM »
Hi Buzz,
     Not to dispute your knowledge of weather in Maine but it snows on the coast all winter.  I have friends on the New Jersey coast who say they get little snow but here in Maine the winters are brutal.  Of coarse, the mountains get hit hardest.  I have lived(endured) 17 years in Maine.  There is an expression in Maine "Nine months of wintah and three months of damn poor sledd'n".  If Collinsport did exist, I'd move there because I"m sick of shovelling the stuff but then again maybe not.  I would rather shovel snow than battle vamipires and werewolves.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 10:36:41 PM »
Amen. Onyx Treasure - I was born and raised in Maine - spent fohty yeahs theah in the Bangor area and working and living in the Bar Harbor area for many summers.  Now I live where the weather can be more like that in Collinsport - Orlando Florida.  But, even here the rain usually accompanies a thunderstorm!!!   ::)

Petofi

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 11:51:18 PM »
Hi Buzz,
     Not to dispute your knowledge of weather in Maine but it snows on the coast all winter.  I have friends on the New Jersey coast who say they get little snow but here in Maine the winters are brutal.  Of coarse, the mountains get hit hardest.  I have lived(endured) 17 years in Maine.  There is an expression in Maine "Nine months of wintah and three months of damn poor sledd'n".  If Collinsport did exist, I'd move there because I"m sick of shovelling the stuff but then again maybe not.  I would rather shovel snow than battle vamipires and werewolves.   

Hmm..well, I stand corrected then.  ;)  Guess my boss is a liar, not a stretch really.  She's also a bitch, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 01:39:56 AM »
     Summers can be very cool, too.  About a year ago last summer, I went to the Samoset(sp) Resort for a dinner party.  It was early afternoon and it was totally fogged in and freezing cold.  I thought this was my vision of Collinsport.  You could hear the fog horn in the distance.  The gulls would scream out but you could not see them.  It was very spooky.  My husband left me alone to park the car and the stillness was oppressive.  The cold, clammy weather was closing in on me that I ran to get inside.  I'd love to rent a cottage there and bring my DS dvds and the novels.  I would probably be too spooked to go outside. :o 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 03:56:42 AM »
     Summers can be very cool, too.

I live right smack-dab in the middle of the Maine seacoast, though I haven't always been a Mainer. (I was a New Hampshire girl most of my life). There's been a couple of days in June where we've turned the heat on in my house, where the temp hovers around 50 degrees or so, and damn if this isn't the foggiest place in the world... any season there isn't snow on the ground is fog season!