Author Topic: The July 13th Episodes (Spoilers!)  (Read 748 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The July 13th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »
Halleluiah - someone sewed the button back onto Vicki's trenchcoat!  [b003]

But seriously, there are several interesting things worth noting in the July 13th's eps:

When DS originally aired, Roger had his car accident, and viewers were looking for a clue to the suspect in the car tampering, it was likely that most only thought as far back as the scene in ep #13 in which Vicki catches Burke around Roger's car. But it's very interesting to realize that there's a scene that took place a few eps further back in which the entire solution to the mystery is actually revealed before it began but it most probably went over the majority of the viewers heads - which is, no doubt, exactly the way Art Wallace wanted it.  ;)

In ep #274 it's interesting to see Jason taunt Vicki with the possibility that he knows something about her past. I think that's the first time in a long time that the subject of Vicki's search for her past comes up. And if I'm not mistaken, it might also be the last...

It's absolutely fascinating to watch Barnabas desperately trying to prove PT Quentin's innocence in ep #1056. The circumstances in other storylines is that at the very least Barn has a familial connection to the Collinses and/or he's trying to save people in the present from a terrible fate. But in 1970PT Barn has no familial connection, he's not trying to save anyone left back in his own time - he's not even trying to save himself once he's able to escape from Will. Dare we say that in more 1970PT instances than not he's actually being completely unselfish? He even escapes from PT at one point but insists on returning to save PT Maggie. And once she joins him, Julia even asks Barn at several points along the way why they're working so hard to save these people and Barn's response is that he simply cannot allow PT Angelique to destroy innocent people. Sounds like a bout of unselfishness to me.  [wink2]  And what makes this particular behavior even more astounding is that Barn is a vampire, and when Barn is under the vampire curse is most often when we see him in full my-survival-at-all-costs-and-to-hell-with-the rest-of-you-especially-if you-stand-in-my-way mode. Many fans excuse or even blame Barn's bad behavior on the vampire curse. But if he can more often than not behave magnanimously in 1970PT while under the vampire curse, it certainly appears to call into question whether or not the vampire curse alone alters his personality for the worse. Any thoughts?

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: The July 13th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:44:56 PM »
 Maybe being in PT caused Barnabas to have a reverse "polarity in morality"?  Or maybe he equated PT Angelique with RT Angelique and really wanted to thwart her schemes.  Or perhaps, his guilt caught up with him, and he was genuinely trying to overcome the evil aspects of his personality.  Whatever the case, that behavior is inconsistent with Barnabas' usual behavior as a vampire.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:23:05 AM »
I really enjoyed episode #274 today at lunch.  I just *love* that scene with Vicki and Jason:  it was positively riveting!  It's too bad Vicki's past never makes a reappearance ever again...and it's equally disheartening that Dennis Patrick only shows up again for a rather short period of time later on...He was truly menacing in the Jason role:  you could tell just how dangerous and desperate he was.  Vicki actually had somewhat of a backbone in this episode!  I can't wait to watch the "Costume Party" sequence coming up...those were (perhaps) my favourite DS episodes.  Ah, the Burke + Vicki + Barnabas love triangle...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:24:43 AM »
i had the same thought when jason taunted vicki about her past at the blue whale.it hadn't come up in so long and the show was about to go off in a completely different direction.still i thought it was a well played scene.vicki was so miss goody-two-shoes in it that i wanted to scream!it was one of the last episodes where she still functioned as that sort of character...before she became bait for heaven knows what sort of creatures.

a few times later she mentions to jeff that she had no memories of her past but it's never a major topic again. :(
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 03:20:44 AM »
I can't wait to watch the "Costume Party" sequence coming up...those were (perhaps) my favourite DS episodes.  Ah, the Burke + Vicki + Barnabas love triangle...

The costume party episodes were some of my favorites as well. I've watched that DVD over and over again. I adore that point in the show.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
Yes, this period of the show has such a string "gothic" feel to it; I love how Vicki's such a prominent character and how Barnabas actually does fall in love (at least he admits as much--I'm not sure if it's "love" or just strong "affection") with her.  Unfortunately, the first disc of my DVD Set Three is broken, so I can't watch the first colour episode, the Seaview House stuff, Julia's initial "treatments", etc...I'll definitely have to get a replacement one of these days when I have some spare cash.