Author Topic: Why Dark Shadows Scared the Hell Out of Us  (Read 2741 times)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dark Shadows Scared the Hell Out of Us
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 07:04:51 AM »
you know i am thrilled NOT to have seen an Evil Vicki. but i also think had she stayed on the show she would have prolly played another character as well. pretty much all the main cast played different roles.

i DO  think if they brought show show back today as a day time soap i mean. it prolly would be made scarier than it was back than. & again i say this in the year (2010) i'm not denying that back in the 60's & early 70's the show was scary. it's just that since the show went off the air a LOT of movies & tv shows that have been made since than are MORE Scarier than anything DS ever did.

like "Supernatural" for example or even "Vampire Diaries" at times anyways. for kids it may be thought of that way at least in some episodes. that's the only shows on the air i can think of at the moment.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 01:46:24 AM »
I think Viki started being evil when she gained the ability to shapeshift into a horrible creature who looked like betsy durkin... 

As for DS truly scaring me, the one disastrous occasion in Count Petofi's I-ching experiments.   
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 06:30:57 AM »
you mention shape shifting eh? how about the various different shape shifting "Sherrif Patterson" went thorugh!  [hall2_grin]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 03:17:36 PM »
I think Viki started being evil when she gained the ability to shapeshift into a horrible creature who looked like betsy durkin...
I have to admit I'm a bit more tolerant of Betsy's performance since I met her. She was so sweet, I find it hard to think TOO badly of her.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
you know i am thrilled NOT to have seen an Evil Vicki.

Just curious....how come? Do you think Alexandra wouldn't have had the acting chops to pull it off, or do you think you wouldn't have handled seeing her play an evil character?

It's been stated many times on here that Alexandra really wanted an opportunity to play a character different than Vicki. But again, DC wouldn't hear of it. I wonder if Alexandra would have quit eventually anyway, pregnant or not, if DC had stuck her with another Vicki-type role....like Rachel Drummond perhaps.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 02:26:43 AM »
i think at some point she would have had enough. hell even Frid had, had enough & i've never thought the reason the show was cancelled  was cause he wanted to play a different character.  i think had the network given them a longer run at the end of the show. the storyline with Bramwell would have been a LOT better.

but they i think rushed into finishing it. at least that's how it feels to me. anyways, i think DC SHOULD have given Alexandra M. a different role on the show, at least at some point. it would have been different to see her play an evil character. now let me add that it doesn't mean it had to be an evil Vicki. but it would have been interesting to see if she would have been able to handle other characters. i dunno if she would have been able to do it acting wise. but it like i

said would have been interesting if she was given the chance. honestly, i think it's just plain stupid that DC didn't give her a chance to play another character. with Vicki Going back in time ok i can see her playing the same character. but in the future had she stayed on the show. i would have loved to see her play another character.

i also wish she would have at some point gone back to acting after her son got older. but she didn't. & hasn't. oh well ya know?

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 03:12:36 AM »
I don't remember ever being frightened while watching DS back in the 60s/70s, when I was 12-13 years old.  Maybe because I had been introduced to the horror genre through the old Universal films airing on TV--which I loved, even back then--none of the DS characters/situations were scary to me.  These characters were my friends, after all.  The author is incorrect in that no soaps in that era ran an hour; in fact, some soaps in 1966 were still live, and ran only 15 minutes (and with commercials and such, at that.) Hour-long soaps didn't come about until the mid-70s.