Author Topic: It's Official!  (Read 4261 times)

MirandaD

Re: It's Official!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »
I think Dan's vision of Barnabas was what we saw in HODS.  I haven't seen HODS in some time, but if I recall correctly, that Barnabas was a much less sympathetic character than the version in the original series.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:48:45 AM »
I wonder sometimes if Dan's "vision" of Barnabas might just have been, "Ooh look, a scary vampire!"   Am I going too far?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »
Oh, here we go, putting down Dan Curtis again.  If it wasn't for Dan Curtis, there would have been no Dark Shadows.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »
Oh, here we go, putting down Dan Curtis again.  If it wasn't for Dan Curtis, there would have been no Dark Shadows.

Talking about what DC did or didn't do isn't putting him down.  That is assigning who deserves credit for what.  If nothing else, that's basic fairness.   DC had the guts to do DS to begin with, there isn't any question about that.  But giving him credit for something he didn't do doesn't serve keeping historical facts accurate and it's not fair to deny other creative people their due.  

Nancy

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »
I think the original film of "The Night Stalker" represents DC's original vision of how he would have liked the vampire on DS to have been.  Since that movie was a huge hit and may even have been nominated for an Emmy (I honestly can't recall), there's no disrespect in stating this.  The vampire on "Stalker" does seem a lot closer to the image conjured up by the material I have read over the years about how Dan wanted the vampire on DS to be.  The reason why he did not wind up having more personal input on the original realization of Barnabas is that he was in England for some months in the late Winter and Spring of 1967, so the writers, for once, were left to do their own thing.

Writing the above, I wonder whether the way Tom Jennings was portrayed in the 1968 storyline showed some of Dan's influence.  I don't know how closely he was keeping tabs on the show at that time.  The hairpin twists and turns of the storyline during that period, to me, has Dan's name written all over it.

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
Gothick,

I loved The Nightstalker!

Nancy

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »
Well, barely - only that DS: The Haunting of Collinwood DVD comes out September 15th.

What is DS: The Haunting of Collinwood DVD? I've never heard of this and can't find anything online about it
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
According to Amazon it is a compilation of episodes telling the story of Quentin and the werewolf. There is another DVD coming out the same day that is the story of Barnabas the vampire. Again, it is a compilation. Each DVD will have a new interview with the actor involved.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
See:
New MPI DVD storyline complilations

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
it was daytime TV, that's the only thing I can come up with.

The more I think about this, the more I think you might be on to something. Something tells me that if anyone involved in the compiling of EW's 20GV list ever addresses why Barnabas isn't included, they might very easily say because they focused only on Primetime TV. It's a ridiculous separation, particularly in this day and age - but it is one that continues to be made.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 02:55:22 AM »
Barnabas finally gets a mention, in the follow-up on their vampire article, in this week's EW Feedback section:

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 03:17:03 AM »
Those are some pretty big 500-pound-gorilla, elephant-in-the-living-room sorts of omissions they have there....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 04:01:28 AM »
Well, I still don't forgive EW.  That was one really blow-it-big-time thing.  Just who do they hire to do their research?  I'll maybe think of accepting their apology and admittance for screwing up if they completely redo the article and re-print it in the next issue.  Maybe then they'll learn a lesson.

Gerard

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 04:29:54 AM »
In what was either a huge coincidence or someone up there smiling down on me, I got a survey in the mail from Entertainment Weekly a week or so ago, along with 2 crisp $1 bills.  They wanted me to give feedback on their vampire issue.  I was one of the ones who let them have it  [ghost_wink]  Glad to see they at least owned up to it!

Cathy

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 04:45:08 AM »
Thank you on behalf of us all.   Have you decided what to spend your $2 on yet?