Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0250  (Read 828 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0250
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
Robservations - #250

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0250

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
If Elizabeth only knew about the wedding that's being planned at the Old House, she'd think things weren't so bad!

KLS does a good job of showing Maggie's struggle to remember and survive. Somehow she has acquired a manicure featuring frosted white nail polish, the height of fashion--in 1968.

I suspect that the necklace Barnabas gives Maggie has a second life as "Naomi's Necklace" in HoDS.

Willie does his best to apologize to Maggie. He tells her he can't help defending Barnabas. Later, when Willie comes to take her to Barnabas, he advises her, Give in--it will be easier. Then Maggie Evans will really be gone, she comments sadly. Tomorrow you won’t care, is all the comfort he can think of to give her as he leads her out.

Willie's fine workmanship on the second coffin contributes to Barn's good mood, because Barn generously offers to make Willie a vampire. Willie very sensibly turns him down. It’s just as well: The neighborhood seems barely able to support just one vampire, let alone two, and surely even the good people of Collinsport would start to notice if three vampires were preying on them. And anyway, who'd watch them all during the day?

The last shot in this ep. is a classic!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
I keep thinking about how Willie has just totally surrendered to Barnabas and that Maggie has been able to fight back and try to escape and even try to destroy him.  Both  of them have had to survive a life of hardship, but the difference might be that Maggie has known the love of her pitiful father plus Joe and Willie who has nothing gives all to his master.
I like when KLS says. "Maggie for Margaret.". I remember finding my great-great aunt's picture in the attic with Maggie written on it and asking who she was and my Grandmother saying we decorate her grave she's Margaret, they called her Maggie.
Willie is hammering and Barnabas says its beautiful. It's a coffin and Maggie sees it. Does she realize she is going to become a vampire? Willie leaves Maggie to face Barnabas alone with the spike she tried to use earlier. Way to do your job Willie.  Maggie then takes an excruciating amount of time to stake him and of course he has awakened by then.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
I keep thinking about how Willie has just totally surrendered to Barnabas and that Maggie has been able to fight back and try to escape and even try to destroy him.  Both  of them have had to survive a life of hardship, but the difference might be that Maggie has known the love of her pitiful father plus Joe and Willie who has nothing gives all to his master.
I don't think it's that simple.  If the writers intended us to consider the question, they may have hoped we'd figure virtuous Maggie would naturally have more internal resources than miscreant Willie did.  That idea strikes me as nauseatingly platitudinous.  I think it more likely that Maggie was pushed to do more than Willie was, and having been pushed further than could be accepted, she accordingly had a stronger reaction.  The harder you throw a ball against a wall, the harder it bounces back.

It was interesting to hear Barnabas talking about how, after tonight, Maggie - well, Josette - would long for her coffin.  I assume he was speaking from experience.  He spent over a hundred years chained up in his own coffin and is now making the most of his freedom, and yet he still feels the coffin's pull.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:26 AM »
I don't really understand why Maggie would be glued to Barnabas' side as a Josette clone once she became a vampire.  I think that's wishful if not highly deluded thinking on his part.  She could just turn into a bat and a fly away the second he wasnt looking, or she could get her own 'Willie' to kill Barnabas.  Paradoxically, it seems that being locked into a hopeless, tedious existance in that coffin for so many years destroyed Barnabas' ability to think long-term. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »
I don't really understand why Maggie would be glued to Barnabas' side as a Josette clone once she became a vampire.  I think that's wishful if not highly deluded thinking on his part.  She could just turn into a bat and a fly away the second he wasnt looking, or she could get her own 'Willie' to kill Barnabas.  Paradoxically, it seems that being locked into a hopeless, tedious existance in that coffin for so many years destroyed Barnabas' ability to think long-term.

I agree-- but what Barnabas is trying to do is so fundamentally insane that you have to expect all sorts of glaring flaws in his reasoning.   Vampire stories have often had "slave" vampires though, haven't they?   These would usually be the "brides", who are enslaved to the vampire who "made" them...  DS's makers may not have made up their minds yet about whether they were going to use this idea.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor