Author Topic: Garth Blackwood: DS' Neanderthal Man?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Garth Blackwood: DS' Neanderthal Man?
« on: April 08, 2003, 11:11:38 PM »
Hey gang,

I'm looking at the Master of Dartmoor today and I can't help noticing all of those telltale, distinguishing features: those wide, heavy bones, the slightly curved limbs, and most unmistakenly, that big brow skull ridge with the the unbelievably thick, hairy "uni-brow" running straight over Blackwood's eyeballs.

Good Lord!  I thought, for a second, that I was looking at former Soviet Communist Party Leader Leonid Brezhnev's long-lost father!  I mean, both men have the exact same simian features.  It's uncanny!

The only other person that I have ever seen with such classic Neanderthal features, especially that distinctive "uni-brow" look, is actor Charles Bronson when he played Vincent Price's mute Igor-like servant in the film horror classic, "The House of Wax."

No doubt, Garth Blackwood's father had the same hairy features as his son: the thick beard, the full head of coarse hair and that Groucho Marx-like "uni-brow" that some people might politely call a rather large, butt-ugly single eyebrow.  (No doubt, Garth's mom also had some of her son's facial characteristics: the coarse hair, the thick "uni-brow, but no beard, only a thick moustache on her upper lip!)

One final note, we all know that Blackwood was the warden of Dartmoor Prison in England.  I wonder if Selden, the ill-fated Notting Hill murderer from "The Hound of the Baskervilles" escaped from Dartmoor when Aristede's worst nightmare was still running the show there?

I can just see Garth Blackwood hobbling into 221-B Baker Street and making his way up the stairs to question Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson about the fate of Selden, the escaped prisoner.  A horrified Mrs. Hudson observes Blackwood as he struggles under the weight of all those chains (not to mention his own girth) he's carrying, to make his way up to Holmes' apartment:

"Begorrah now, sir!  You're going to ruin my stairs!"

"Be silent, woman.  The Master of Dartmoor is in hot pursuit of a criminal.  Justice must be served!

"And I thought that "Creeper" made a mess of my stairs, what with those big, heavy feet of his!"

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport Bay Drive Irregular

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Garth Blackwood: DS' Neanderthal Man?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 12:04:27 AM »
This may seem a strange comparison, but as I was watching the recent episodes, I kept comparing the one-track-mind Garth Blackwood to the shark in "Jaws": a non-thinking, small-brained killing machine.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 12:08:33 AM »
I thought of Stephen King.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 02:59:29 AM »
I think he borrowed the chain from Marley's Ghost.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 02:44:56 PM »
he was  hell bent on getting Aristede. i actually felt sorry for him!
loved The House of Wax(have to see if it is on soon)

jennifer
Opening Day here is Friday!Where is spring??????

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 05:13:31 PM »
Hey gang,

I'm looking at the Master of Dartmoor today and I can't help noticing all of those telltale, distinguishing features: those wide, heavy bones, the slightly curved limbs, and most unmistakenly, that big brow skull ridge with the the unbelievably thick, hairy "uni-brow" running straight over Blackwood's eyeballs.

There was always one guy who looked just like that working for the maintenance department (ie, a janitor) in virtually every large high school.  Sorta like a Groundskeeper Willie.  Students would always avoid him like the bubonic plague.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 05:32:51 PM »
Hey gang,

There was always one guy who looked just like that working for the maintenance department (ie, a janitor) in virtually every large high school.  Sorta like a Groundskeeper Willie.  Students would always avoid him like the bubonic plague.
Gerard

At MY high school, she taught girls phys ed.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 07:17:38 PM »
I always lose it when poor John Harkins is all trussed up wriggling on the floor sputtering "Argh!" and the ropes are practically falling off him, they're tied so loose, and he's struggling to roll the other way so it won't show on camera.

I keep thinking he must have been pondering just how much harassment he was going through that day for a paycheck!

Interesting, of course, that he appears in two further roles on DS, so he must not have minded too much.

Can anyone name his previous appearance on the series?

Tiresomely trivial,

Gothick

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 07:56:42 PM »

heehee mine was in junior high! now she subs there. my daughter has her and says she still is scary! sorta like the principal in Matilda!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 07:59:34 PM »
I always lose it when poor John Harkins is all trussed up wriggling on the floor sputtering "Argh!" and the ropes are practically falling off him, they're tied so loose, and he's struggling to roll the other way so it won't show on camera.

I keep thinking he must have been pondering just how much harassment he was going through that day for a paycheck!

Interesting, of course, that he appears in two further roles on DS, so he must not have minded too much.

Can anyone name his previous appearance on the series?

Tiresomely trivial,

Gothick

a police LT in 66 and Horace Gladstone in 1970PT?

jennifer
nothing better to do on this dreary day Steve!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 06:53:51 PM »
I thought of my current boss. [evily]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2003, 05:55:59 AM »
I thought of my current boss. [evily]

heehee kinda like my current boss too but it is a she!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2003, 09:51:40 PM »

Gerard

At my high school she wore a habit.  She was older than God then, and my cousin's kid has here there today.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2003, 10:16:22 PM »
At my high school she wore a habit.  She was older than God then, and my cousin's kid has here there today.

Don't talk that way about Sister Mary Euthanasia.  :o

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2003, 12:14:11 AM »

Don't talk that way about Sister Mary Euthanasia.  :o
LOL!  Ours was Sr. Mary Esther.  She, too, use to babysit God.  Str (that's the way it's pronounced - str) was about five feet tall and five feet wide, and when she walked, you couldn't see her feet - she just glided along the floor.  And could she pack a mean ruler!  But we learned from her (we're talking compound fractions; memorizing entire sections of the US Constitution; knowing the capitals of all 50 states, as well as the entire list of presidents up to LBJ [who was the prez back then], and all that in elementary school).  I discovered just a coupla months ago, that Str Mary Esther IS SITLL ALIVE.  She is over 100, well over, and crochets in happy retirement.

Gerard