Author Topic: AOL 8  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: AOL 8
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2003, 12:23:54 PM »
So, are people only having problems with cable connections?  I have dial-up.

Connie, actually it was the dial-up that caused me alot of problems.  I've been using the cable for some time now and like it so much better. It's so much quicker for me to sign on and since the I've upgraded to 8.0  I haven't had any problems at all.

"Calamity Jane"

Nancy

Re: Warning AOL 8
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2003, 09:40:31 PM »
I was going to post this before I saw this.
My boss, who uses a cable modem, tried 4 wks ago to upgrade 8.0 online.
Wouldn't take; he called AOL, who couldnt help him.
They said we'll send out a disk (which they DIDN'T)
So he got one anyway; wouldn't take,
tries to unistall and then NO CONNECTION.
Spends 3 hours w/Microsoft @ $35/hour, they tell him there have been MAJOR problems for 8.0,
they take him all *(^%% inside the puter (S drive?? repair Explorer??)

Still no good.

He calls the cable modem co....they said they have been contact America on-line to no avail....seems SOME cable co. have alot of trouble with 8.0....

So, after 4 calls to them, he finds the right software (seems 8.0 eats away at your configurations)
gets back online FINALLY!!

But, at my bosses home, they have a DIFFERENT cable online provider & his son has been using 8.0 no problem.

I didn't think many of us still bothered with AOL (see Midnite & MB's 'thoughts' on Microsoft...this is my opinion of AOL)  :P

If you're gonna update, make sure you have your initial modem software (or dial up software) in case you crash & burn.

Patti

Patti, do you know what software your boss used to rectify the problem he had? I had a dial up at one time and then got DSL.  When I moved, I found out that DSL was not supported in my area so I signed up with the cable company.  I have AOL 6 and cannot make AOL 8.0 work for me at all. I get into it and then when I try to read email, it tells gives me that dreaded WAOL error and then I'm kicked out.

I have a feeling there is some remanent on my system of the DSL business and that is conflicting with the software. I dunno. I'm by no means a genuis at any of this. Been really frustrating as I want to upgrade to 8.0 for a  few reasons.

Nancy

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: AOL 8
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2003, 12:45:45 AM »
i upgraded to 8.01had no problem but i did lose my favorite places i just put them all back without problems, needed to clean them up anyway!
i like it better. the email services are better and haven't had a problem with it! (it's been a month. i have to get my  modem fixed this week (no sound) so i'll see what
happens when i get itn back!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Warning AOL 8
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2003, 03:02:44 AM »

Patti, do you know what software your boss used to rectify the problem he had? I had a dial up at one time and then got DSL.  When I moved, I found out that DSL was not supported in my area so I signed up with the cable company.  I have AOL 6 and cannot make AOL 8.0 work for me at all. I get into it and then when I try to read email, it tells gives me that dreaded WAOL error and then I'm kicked out.

I have a feeling there is some remanent on my system of the DSL business and that is conflicting with the software. I dunno. I'm by no means a genuis at any of this. Been really frustrating as I want to upgrade to 8.0 for a  few reasons.

Nancy

Comcast Cable.
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re:AOL 8
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2003, 07:40:07 PM »
Anyway, what happens when you upgrade?  Does anything get messed up or do you lose anything?
I'm afraid to do it, but I think I'd get more webspace 'cause you're allowed more screen names.

When I still had my web pages on AOL spread across multiple screen names, I switched to a newer version that allowed more screen names thinking it would get me more web space. Turns out AOL just redistributed the existing web space across a larger number of screen names, meaning less web space per screen name. Several pages and images were lost in the process. If you upgrade but don't create new screen names, this shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, another option in order to avoid being wrapped up in all of the AOL upgrades is to track down a free web space provider.

You probably already know about this. www.esmartstart.com has multiple domain names to choose from and offers up to 20 MB of free web space. Their Terms of Service are fairly standard.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Connie

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 10:47:48 AM »
Turns out AOL just redistributed the existing web space across a larger number of screen names, meaning less web space per screen name. Several pages and images were lost in the process.

Aw gee - thanks for telling me NOW.  LOL
I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, mainly 'cause I thought there would be more space, plus my little one wanted his own screen name.  Don't like it at all -- logon screen is a cluttered mess and we're getting disconnected A LOT.

You probably already know about this. www.esmartstart.com has multiple domain names to choose from and offers up to 20 MB of free web space.

Well, 20 megs would be nice but I checked the link and that place has banners.  Forget it.  [nono]
But anyway, if I put up a storyboard-type site it probably won't be that big anyway so hopefully AOL space will be enough.

[gring]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 02:15:05 PM »
Aw gee - thanks for telling me NOW.
Yes, timing is everything. I don't often take a break from my own shady dealings to read this part of the board.

Well, 20 megs would be nice but I checked the link and that place has banners.  Forget it.  [nono]
I agree. It's much better to have a site where you exploit others for fun and profit rather than being exploited.  :-*

Hmm. Maybe I can write my dissertation on that . . .

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 02:22:48 PM »
I don't often take a break from my own shady dealings to read this part of the board.

Umm, don't let a certain Systems Manager / Webmaster see you say that too often. [wink2]

It's much better to have a site where you exploit others for fun and profit rather than being exploited.  :-*

I fear someone (who shall remain nameless ;D) for whom you do a lot of favors has been corrupting you - MORE than I would even try to corrupt someone.. [lghy]

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2003, 02:23:10 PM »
Turns out AOL just redistributed the existing web space across a larger number of screen names, meaning less web space per screen name. Several pages and images were lost in the process.

Aw gee - thanks for telling me NOW.  LOL
I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, mainly 'cause I thought there would be more space, plus my little one wanted his own screen name.  Don't like it at all -- logon screen is a cluttered mess and we're getting disconnected A LOT.

Connie,  I have also been getting disconnected alot.  Do you have trouble getting on line in the first place?  My computer cycles through all the available numbers about eight times before I get connected only to be thrown off in 2 minutes.  Sometime, the aol page does not completely load.  I am trying to convince my husband to change to another internet provider.  HAS ANYONE HAD THE ABOVE DIFFICULTIES WITH AOL?  Any help you can give, I will pass along to my husband as proof that AOL service is crap.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Connie

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2003, 10:42:58 PM »
Connie,  I have also been getting disconnected alot.  Do you have trouble getting on line in the first place?

YES.  Same here.  The numbers won't go through, or else it's disconnected almost immediately.  Hardly ever happened with AOL 4.  They're horrible.  Also, I thought (ha- stupid me) maybe by upgrading I'd be able to get rid of some of the junk mail.
No way.  Doesn't matter how much you report it or block an address.  There are 20 more new ones to replace that one.  It's an endless stream and there's no way to filter.  I sit here just clicking the delete key as it scrolls up through all the junk and forwarded mail and problem is......sometimes my eye doesn't catch something that shouldn't have been deleted!

I'd LOVE to use a different service.

[uzi]

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2003, 01:45:58 AM »
Connie,  I have also been getting disconnected alot.  Do you have trouble getting on line in the first place?

YES.  Same here.  The numbers won't go through, or else it's disconnected almost immediately.  Hardly ever happened with AOL 4.  They're horrible.  Also, I thought (ha- stupid me) maybe by upgrading I'd be able to get rid of some of the junk mail.
No way.  Doesn't matter how much you report it or block an address.  There are 20 more new ones to replace that one.  It's an endless stream and there's no way to filter.  I sit here just clicking the delete key as it scrolls up through all the junk and forwarded mail and problem is......sometimes my eye doesn't catch something that shouldn't have been deleted!

I'd LOVE to use a different service.

[uzi]
     Thank-you, Connie.  My husband read your reply.  He re-installed AOL 8 and it works.  It works just as crappy as ever.  He promises me he will look into Earthlink.  I hate to nag but sometimes it is the only way.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Connie

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2003, 06:17:38 AM »
... It works just as crappy as ever.  He promises me he will look into Earthlink.  I hate to nag but sometimes it is the only way.

Ya know, earlier at dinner I was talking about changing services and thought I might meet with some resistence, but my husband said go ahead if I want.  I just don't know what to change to.  Is Earthlink good?  Know NOTHING about other services.  Anyway, some weird things have been happening on the computer lately and it's creeping me out a little.  Plus -- get this -- does your AOL just load by itself for no reason???  LOL
Earlier my husband got pissed because he was recording on here and all of a sudden the sign on screen came on and made a ping noise or something, and he had to redo whatever he was doing!!

-CLC  [hdscrt]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2003, 07:07:04 AM »
I don't know anything about webspace or how that would work, but as far as just connecting and using the Internet, I use Earthlink and have been satisfied.

Josette