Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0223  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0223
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
Robservations - #223

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0223

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
As I watched the closing credits for yesterday's episode, showing the easel with the unfinished portrait of Barnabas in the Old House living room, I thought to myself: "Cool!  Things are getting going!"  But today everything seemed pretty humdrum.  Lots of talk, but the plot didn't get pushed forward much.

I was surprised that Elizabeth sold some land, apparently to deal with Jason's demands.  I don't know how much she got for it, but surely he hasn't yet required nearly as much as the land would bring her, and I don't think she ever thinks to herself, "Jason's due to escalate the blackmail next Tuesday, and I'd better be ready for it."

Finally the absence of Josette's portrait has been noticed.  Of course it was David who did the noticing - but why did it take him so much time after arriving at the Old House to notice it?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »
When Elizabeth arrives at the Old House and finds apparently no one at home, she does what everyone else at Collinwood does and walks right in. But for a man with such an explosive secret, Barnabas is very foolish not to lock his front door. Even poor Willie has to sleep sometime.

The Hackett person who bought the seafront property from Elizabeth is not the last person of that name we will meet. And maybe Elizabeth gave all the money to Jason, hoping--in vain, of course--that it would make him go away.

I think that at first David was busy noting all the other changes in the Old House to notice that Josette's portrait is gone. But he's the only one to realize that her presence is gone too.

When Burke offers to help Barnabas get rid of Willie, Elizabeth huffs that he doesn't need help. After all, she says, he is a Collins--a true Collins!

David returns to the Old House to ask Barn if he can have Josette's portrait. Without even bothering to knock, he walks in and calls to Barnabas. It was kind of sad that when the dogs began to howl, he called out to Josette. The doors slam, and there he is, a little boy, terrified as the howling gets closer--and closer. And so ends another cheerful day at Collinwood.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
But for a man with such an explosive secret, Barnabas is very foolish not to lock his front door.
Yes, he is.  But at this point in the series it is possible to believe that Barnabas is being clever: carefully leaving the front door unlocked so that everyone will believe he has nothing to hide, while the real secret is kept in the mausoleum where nobody would dream of looking.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »
Very true, Lydia! Sometimes nothing works better than hiding in plain sight!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
Dig Liz's coat. She looks like a bell.

Love Burke's line: Cousin Barnabas doesn't seem too bright. Heh.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
I had a similar coat, back in the day. Mine was emerald green with a Nehru collar and puffy-diamond-shaped green buttons. And before that, I had a plaid coat of the same cut. I felt like the cat's meow.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:48:18 AM »
Josette may have left when her picture was removed or someone came to live in the house because David didn't note her disappearance when he ran into his cousin there prior to this visit.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »
In Collinwood there was a lot of hiding in plain sight. I called it CDD Collins Denial Disorder.

At least Liz knocked before she went in the house. :) Some people in the future get in different ways. :)

David feels a change in the house. How right he is.

I like Liz remark about BC, that he is a true collins. How right she is. Barnabas sure has a lot of powers. He wants to freak David out so that he doesn't go looking where he doesn't belong.

I am thinking if it could have been Josette, trying to scare him away from the Old House. She might still be wanting to protect him.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate