Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0222  (Read 1409 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0222
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:16 AM »
Robservations - #222

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0222

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
Oh dear me, how humiliating it is to be presented with evidence of one's past stupidity - and I sure got it when I looked at my 2007 post for this episode.  I dithered on and on about the narcissism of commissioning a portrait of oneself.  Good heavens, how utterly clueless I was.  Barnabas was merely seizing an excuse to create a connection to Maggie.  If her father had been an electrician, Barnabas would have suddenly realized that electricity was the one thing lacking to make the Old House perfect.

When Sam got to the Old House, he didn't say a word about the portrait of Josette being gone.  He had noticed it before, and commented favorably on it.  I'm sure he noticed it was gone, but I daresay he feared offending his $1,000 customer if he mentioned it.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
I always thought that Barnabas had his portrait done so that he could actually see himself as he is now in the present, with modern clothes.

On the old thread about a vampire needing to be invited in, Mrs. Johnson did invite him into Collinwood when he first arrived, so perhaps the writers were using the invitation idea.  A diner is a public place, so he wouldnt have to be invited in.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »
Joeytrom, that's exactly what I thought too! It's the only way Barnabas has to see if he's aged at all.

And yes, if we are to believe Bram Stoker, a vampire has to be invited in. Also, any guest of a vampire has to enter the vampire's house of his or her own free will.

Willie is wearing what must be his servant's livery--a white shirt with dark pants and vest. The poor guy actually flinches when he hears a knock at the front door, then panics and hides until he knows it's Vicki.  This is the first she knows that he's working for Barnabas, and she praises the work he's done. He mutters his thanks, but keeps his eyes from her. When he realizes that it's almost sunset, he hustles the poor girl out the door. I don't think I'll ever understand you, she says. Don't try, he implores her, just leave NOW! Just as he's closing the door behind her, Barnabas appears, icily remarking, It was very considerate of you to get Miss Winters out of the house to keep her from harm. So _very_ considerate, Willie, he repeats, and I for one suspect Willie is not about to be rewarded for his consideration. He must suspect it too, because he’s shaking with terror.

Barnabas is from Europe, Vicki tells Maggie. That must be why he seems different, Maggie agrees.   [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:11 AM »
As I remember, Lydia, the way Barnabas is going about everything seems to be egomaniacal, so I'm sure it comes across onscreen that his egotism is driving his having the new portrait done, at least partly.

I remember the scene with Willie and Vicki, and didn't expect it to come so soon.   I guess there's no gradual transition between punk Willie and Willie with a conscience.   Too bad.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
I remember the scene with Willie and Vicki, and didn't expect it to come so soon.   I guess there's no gradual transition between punk Willie and Willie with a conscience.   Too bad.

Well, no transition that we get to see, anyway. But I have a feeling that it was extremely violent and happened literally overnight.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
The flat tire story never seemed plausible to me. Who meets a stranger on the road who changes a tire and then offers him a job?

Nobody can add two and two in this town. Barnabas is new in town. Attacks on girls and livestock start happening. I wouldn't have opened my door to Barnabas if I had been Maggie.

I see Sam is still wearing a ties with his burlap shirt.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »
Sam seems to think the light isn't good enough, but how does he think people painted before electric lights? I seem to recall we used Coleman lanterns in those days when the power went out or Kerosene, but that would spoil the atmosphere.  So if Barnabas can not see himself, does Willie comb his hair, check his wardrobe, etc.?
This seems the perfect job for night owl Sam.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Before electricity, people painted during the daylight hours, I think. But Sam has the prospect of a thousand dollars, so I guess he'll paint when his patron says to.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Barn should have set an absolute rule though, "When I say stop, we STOP!  Immediately!  No discussion!"   It would prevent awkward moments later on...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
Before electricity, people painted during the daylight hours, I think. But Sam has the prospect of a thousand dollars, so I guess he'll paint when his patron says to.

It's very difficult to paint in the dark. Trust me. There's a reason for skylights in an artist's studio.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Flat tire, driving so soon. We know that is not true. :)

The lighting is better, it helps having the fire going. The camera is not pointed to it directly.

Willie is being protective again. Wanting to protect Vickie. Barnabas is pure evil. "How very considerate"

She's scared that someone is following her. Then Barnabas comes, he following her and she is freaked out. Then Barnabas is the one that is following her checks to see if someone is following her. Evil Grin. This is where Jonathan is playing it pure evil.

He asked to be invited in, and she does. (Now we would be saying no don't do it to the tv screen. By this time I would think that the audiance knew he was a vampire.) Barnabas needs to work on his stalking skills.

At the old house are they using the blue candles yet? I think I remember that  on TV you wore a light blue shirt because white was to bright. I tried to find a link to that but I couldn't find one.

Good fade between Barnabas Portrait to Barnabas sitting in the chair at the old house. I loved Barnabas' disappearing act. :)

Jonathan is moving up in the credits.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate