Author Topic: Ben, Barnabas and Joshua Today  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Ben, Barnabas and Joshua Today
« on: April 27, 2002, 12:31:39 AM »
The two episodes today of DS I thought were excellent.

the scene between father [Joshua] and son [Barnabas], I had tears flowing during their goodbyes.  The look in their eyes, Barnabas was so emotional.  :'(

Then the scene between Ben and Joshua. :o It was touching to watch those two inter-act in a positive way.  :)  

The scene between Nathan and Barnabas too.  I don't know which scene I liked the best today.  They all had their moments.

Looking forward to next week and seeing 1968 again.   :D

s  p  o  i  l  e  r  Maybe

p

o

i

l

e

r

I don't remember much of the 1840 story line yet to come .....it's going to be a good run the next few months....

Wishing they showd more then an hour of DS every day.  ;D  Then I would be accused of being addicted.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Ben, Barnabas and Joshua Today
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2002, 03:10:12 AM »
I thought that today's episodes, especially the second one, were among the best ever filmed for the series.  It was an incredible way to end our journey back to 1795/96, a fitting conclusion to the storyline.  That final spoken farewell between father and son was, indeed, powerful.  I always wished that, just before Barnabas left the study, he and his father would embrace for one last - and perhaps first and only - time.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2002, 03:27:51 AM »
I agree, these were two of the best episodes of the series. (Once again, I've only seen the first of today's episodes, so I wasn't sure if Nathan got his comeuppance today or not.)

I can't think of anything on daytime TV, ever, that has been comparable.

The suspense, the overwhelming sense of tragedy, the pitch-perfect characterizations, the restrained emotions (often more effective in an actor's performance than over-emoting -- especially in those cases when there isn't that much to emote over, but that's another topic) ...

You mention that this is the end of 1795 -- if so, that second episode must cram a lot into it, because Miss Winters still has to (in my viewing) face the hangman's noose.

I remember the suspense of that scene in the study, and always remembered the study as one of my favorites rooms at Collinwood, if not the favorite, despite the tragic events that happened.  I'd love to curl up with a book in there on a stormy night!

Not when Grandmamama Edith Collin's body is laid out there, though!

P.S., Donna, the 1840 storyline doesn't come until near the end of the series. You may be thinking of 1897.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline The charming Mr. Blair

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 03:34:03 AM »
I, too, was touched by the emotional drama of today's episodes. I think they may have been the best to date.

I also had the feeling that Joshua was really a good man at heart. His demanding demeanor was only a front.
Also, his admitted inability to love -- he really could love, he just couldn't show it. Big difference between one who can't love and one who can't express love. Feeling love and keeping it inside is a painful existance.
Joshua, in the end is a heroic and romantic figure. A brave and nobel man. I consider myself fortunate that I have not had to withstand the pains that Joshua Collins endured.
I must go. However, I shalln't be long.
 Good day everyone!

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2002, 09:47:16 AM »
The two episodes today of DS I thought were excellent.

the scene between father [Joshua] and son [Barnabas], I had tears flowing during their goodbyes.  The look in their eyes, Barnabas was so emotional.  :'(

Then the scene between Ben and Joshua. :o It was touching to watch those two inter-act in a positive way.  :)  

The scene between Nathan and Barnabas too.  I don't know which scene I liked the best today.  They all had their moments.

I especially enjoyed the scenes between Joshua & Ben. It was nice to see these two actually being civil to one another. It was good to see poor Ben finally getting the credit he deserved all along.  The scenes between Barnabas & Joshua were so emotional to say the least. That last look that they gave to each other was the most touching scene I've ever seen between the both of them.  A great show today!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: Ben, Barnabas and Joshua TodayI always wished that, just bef
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2002, 01:54:10 PM »
I was always deeply moved by the final scenes between Joshua and Barnabas and Ben and Barnabas.  They were nothing short of amazing in every possible way.  The performances were top-notch.  

To see all of Joshua's hopes for his family crumble this way is very hard to bear.  

"I always wished that, just before Barnabas left the study, he and his father would embrace for one last - and perhaps first and only - time."

So do I, but we NEVER saw them hug, or show anything of a physical nature.  The Collins family is not a demonstrative lot in any century, notice that?  Not exactly a group of huggers, LOL.

However, Barnabas and Joshua might as well have hugged.  The emotion streaming between them in that final moment of goodbye is as potent as a physical hug could have been.  Edmonds and Frid played the scene brilliantly.  Even today, those performances stand up--and out.

Love, Robin  

Offline The charming Mr. Blair

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2002, 07:03:47 PM »
In the second episode on Friday, Barnabas said to Nathen Forbes, "You can't kill me, I'm already dead."
Wasn't that the line that a very infamous mass murder  (whom I shall not name) used when he stood up in the court room ranting and raging? ?!?  
I must go. However, I shalln't be long.
 Good day everyone!

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Ben, Barnabas and Joshua TodayI always wished that, just bef
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2002, 08:29:10 PM »

However, Barnabas and Joshua might as well have hugged.  The emotion streaming between them in that final moment of goodbye is as potent as a physical hug could have been.  Edmonds and Frid played the scene brilliantly.  Even today, those performances stand up--and out.

Love, Robin  

Sometimes emotions are intuitive...just as beautiful.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2002, 12:32:10 AM »
I agree.  Great episodes.  They still gave me the chills these many years later.

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2002, 06:15:40 AM »
P.S., Donna, the 1840 storyline doesn't come until near the end of the series. You may be thinking of 1897.

Thanks Vlad .......You're right on!  Memory laps again!  hehehehe

I was sitting on the edge of my seat just waiting for Barnabas and Joshua to hug....the scene between the two of them was so intense and emotional.  I could see them with their arms around one another in my mind.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2002, 04:09:19 AM »

I was sitting on the edge of my seat just waiting for Barnabas and Joshua to hug....the scene between the two of them was so intense and emotional.  I could see them with their arms around one another in my mind.

Donna, now I think you're getting confused with "Ordinary People."

;)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995