Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0357  (Read 2481 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0357
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »
Robservations - #357

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0357

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
Welcome, Jerry Lacy! His turn as the brash young Tony Peterson, Esq. has always been one of my favorites.

Poor Julia isn't at her best tonight. Roger's innocent musings about the foyer clock send her into near-hysterics. Roger is puzzled, but he still tries to lord it over Tony, who isn't having any.

Later, Roger tells Carolyn he wishes he knew Barnabas's secret. No, you don't! Carolyn exclaims. This seems uncharacteristic for someone under the control of a vampire, but maybe she's like Willie and still has some reserves of self-command.

Tony's office features a large and beautiful arched doorway that we’ll see many more times. Just like Burke, he hates the Collinses. He tells Julia, If you’ve never had money, you don’t know how it hits the blood. This comment nearly sends her off the rails again, and she does have hysterics a moment later when Tony guesses wrongly that Roger is after her.

Tony offers to put the notebook in his large (but not quite man-sized) safe and assures Julia that there is a night watchman. Julia doesn’t bother to explain how ineffectual a mere human guard would be.

After Julia leaves, Carolyn arrives, drapes herself across Tony's desk and tries to flirt the notebook away from him, but he isn't having any from her either. He grabs her by the shoulders and asks her, What's the real reason you're here?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »
Julia's nervous hysterical outbursts are an interesting new addition to her arsenal of emotional physicality.

A new character! I'm not yet impressed with Lacy's acting but after all, it is his first day.

Louie Edmonds had me eating out of the palm of his hand with his "silly & stuffy" performance.  And the emperor got new clothes -- a nice black (silk/satin?) smoking jacket .

All the scenes in this episode were great for one reason or another and were wonderfully written (for the most part, if not all well acted). There was Roger's indignation with Tony Peterson (well, everything that came out of Roger's mouth was fabulous, really): Roger in his playfulness with and concern for Carloyn: Carolyn busting Julia with the notebook in the foyer and subsequently trying to keep Julia from leaving with Tony: Julia at Tony's office: Carolyn at Tony's office -- all producing a great many quotable lines. (Some of them hysterical in or out of context.)

I have no previous memory of all the blatant references regarding Julia's love of Barnabas.

Yes, DarkLady, this is one instance where I immediately picked up on a current set location as being that of a future set location.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
I've always loved that beautiful archway--and I've always wished I had the house to go with it. ;)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:04 AM »
Where do we see it later?

Tony Peterson is a trial for me because of how ridiculously transparently they intend for him to be Humphrey Bogart, or Sam Spade more specifically I guess, with the trenchcoat.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
Actually, Jerry Lacy did play Humphrey Bogart in Woody Allen's Play It Again, Sam.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »
Actually, Jerry Lacy did play Humphrey Bogart in Woody Allen's Play It Again, Sam.

He's far better known for his Bogart impression than for Dark Shadows.  In the 70s and perhaps later, he appeared in lots of commercials and TV shows as Humphrey Bogart.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:08 AM »
A strange character appears on the screen. Anthony Peterson. The grandfather clock in the foyer was made by Barnabas for Josette as a wedding present.  It seems like an odd present for someone you don't know and was supposed to be hated by the members of the family when she was brought home as the bride of Jeremiah. 
Julias hysteria is fun. I always liked a hysterical Grayson Hall although from the interview on the DVD her husband did not. He is actualy quite humerous although I never cared for his writing.
Peterson grew up in Collinsport poor and envious of the Collins.  Seems as if he is a Burke replacemenmt in the Mitchell Ryan mold.
Now why cannot Barnabas just kill Tony and get the notebook?  Barnabas is so ready to kill off others. It would seem more torturous to Julia if he killed everyone who tried to help. 
Julia says," That's a safe isn't it?" as if she had never seen one or knew what one looked like.
Carolyn arrives to work on Tony and it was implied by Barnabas that she should do whatever must with Tony to get the book.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:05:55 AM »
This is one of the hardest stretches of DS to watch, for me.   They seem to be wallowing in Julia's degradation.   It's painful to watch.   What they're probably really doing is stretching things out [spoiler]until they have 1795 ready.[/spoiler]   

I have no memory of this from childhood, so as far as I know my first viewing was in 2002.   I had no idea that [spoiler]1795 was about to happen abruptly,[/spoiler] so I thought, is this going to go on forever?   Do they really have no ideas at all?

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
Tony's office features a large and beautiful arched doorway that we’ll see many more times.

Where do we see it later?

[spoiler]It is where Nicholas Blair takes up residence. I believe it is referred to as, "the house by the sea", maybe even "Blair House" but I don't think so, at least not on the show but perhaps amongst fans. At least I think I'm correct. It may show up as Angelique's room in parallel time but I don't remember for sure.[/spoiler]

Peterson grew up in Collinsport poor and envious of the Collins.  Seems as if he is a Burke replacemenmt in the Mitchell Ryan mold.
Now why cannot Barnabas just kill Tony and get the notebook?  Barnabas is so ready to kill off others. It would seem more torturous to Julia if he killed everyone who tried to help. 
Julia says," That's a safe isn't it?" as if she had never seen one or knew what one looked like.

Interesting observation, ad, about Tony as a replacement Burke -- a Collins adversary. I also agree with your thoughts about Barn killing anyone Julia goes to for help because that would prevent her from involving anyone putting her in a really desperate place/spot. And yes, LOL, "Is that a safe?" [stfl]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »
[spoiler]I believe it was called "Blair House" in the Viewmaster booklet.  I know I read that thing over and over and over and kept staring at those little pictures because in those pre-video days, that was my ONLY source of DS, once the show had gone off the air.  And then my Mom went and sold the Viewmaster set at a yard sale.[/spoiler]

Life can be like that...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
[spoiler]I believe it was called "Blair House" in the Viewmaster booklet.  I know I read that thing over and over and over and kept staring at those little pictures because in those pre-video days, that was my ONLY source of DS, once the show had gone off the air.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I know what you mean about the Viewmaster set because, as I've mentioned before, due to a parents groups' protest in my area of the country, DS had been moved to 2:30pm and 8:30am when the eps the Viewmaster set covered originally aired, so the eps I managed to catch during that time were few and far between. For nearly 20 years I also cherished everything about the Viewmaster set because it was my ONLY detailed source of what had been happening on the show during that time. The pre-VCR days really were like living in the Dark Ages. And of course in 1968 there was no Internet or even fanzines to share with other fans.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And then my Mom went and sold the Viewmaster set at a yard sale.[/spoiler]

If my mom had ever done anything like that, well, she would have rued the day. But then, I was really lucky that my mom always respected my stuff - and she knew that in particular she should never touch my DS stuff.  [santa_wink]  Plus, I was also lucky that she'd been a DS fan herself.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »
The beautiful arch also shows up again fairly soon [spoiler]in Joshua and Naomi's bedroom at the Old House in 1795.[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
You were lucky, MB.  My Mom absolutely detests DS.  My Dad finds it mildly amusing but that's it.

G.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
Re: The wooden arch -- A lot sooner than I expected DarkLady or remembered!

My sister tossed all my stuff - she never liked me. But I am wreaking my revenge now by accidentally breaking all her stuff.