Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0887  (Read 844 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0887
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:00:42 AM »
Robservations #887

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0887

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
Nancy Barrett VO.  I liked the VO shot of Julia's coat in an empty Old House, the fact that they expected us to know the coat without its inhabitant.  NB declares Barnabas an "innocent victim of time"... he doesn't leave these times so innocent... Barnabas does not know that Josette just took her life "again", by poison, it's established.

The Leviathans go back 2000 years.  That's hardly far enough back for them to have pre-dated humanity, even by Biblical literalist standards. 

Is that Julia's medical notebook she's reflecting about Barnabas's absence into?  She's getting awfully "poetic" for a medical journal. 

[spoiler]Welcome, Paul Stoddard.[/spoiler]  He's skulking and looking suspicious by wearing black gloves like, I don't know, a hit man or something.  Julia hears voices.  They turn out to be Magda (who would have been written safely out of town, in an implied way, if only the writers hadn't brought her back for this scene) and Charipansy.  Julia, nervy master of any situation unless she totally loses it, goes instantly from being dead certain Barnabas will return safely, to being sure he's dead.  All they say is that he went into the Old House and can't be found...  Bad, but still a big question mark only.  Julia recognizes Magda's voice instantly, so maybe they met in parallel DS on TV #2.... By Gordon Russell.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
I also like the fact that the writers are telling us that we're back in 1969 just by showing us Julia's very modern coat.

Lots of talk about "Chosen Ones," then Barn shuts himself up in the coffin, and the cairn vanishes from 1795.

I do like Julia's rather poetic voiceover. Doctor Julia Hoffman, in a long-sleeved, close-fitting dark green dress that suits her complexion and figure perfectly, is in the drawing room of the Old House, going over her diary entry for November 18, 1969. By the light of a single candle, she reads to herself: It has been a month since I returned from the past, and I have waited here every night for some sign from Barnabas. I frequently heard voices from the past that frightened me. Now I haven’t heard them in some days. I’m afraid that Barnabas is trapped in the past and lost to me forever. Outside the Old House, someone is peering in through the window at Julia--a man (played by the uncredited Mart or Mark Aldre) wearing a fedora, a dark blue raincoat, and black leather gloves.

Julia concludes her diary entry: I refuse to give up hope, even though there seems to be so little left now. She blows out the candle and retrieves her purse and coat. Seeing these signals of departure, the man conceals himself, then follows Julia as she walks back to Collinwood. She thinks for a moment that she hears something behind her, then hurries on her way. The stranger follows her.

Julia finds Carolyn wrapping a present for her mother: jewelry from a brand-new, "divine" antique shop. After Carolyn leaves, Julia paces restlessly, then shivers in a sudden draft. She hears a door closing and moves toward the foyer, but stops, electrified, at the sound of Magda’s voice. She listens with all her might as Magda and Charity/Pansy talk. C/P says, Mr. Edward wants to ask you some questions about the disappearance of Barnabas and Lady Hampshire. [She should say Mr. Collins, since Edward is the only adult male left at Collinwood!] Julia sees flashing glimpses of the portraits of Barnabas and Josette as C/P tells Magda, Mr. Edward following Barnabas and Kitty to the Old House--but they never came out. As Charity’s and Magda’s last appearances (as it were) on the show end, Julia calls to Charity. Carolyn hears and comes running out of the servants’ door. Greatly upset, Julia tells Carolyn, I’m sure Barnabas is dead! [I guess we can assume that Magda also found a home at Collinwood.]

Somewhere in the woods, the strange man reaches a clearing in the forest. The stone altar with its carved stele materializes in 1969 to the accompaniment of thunder and lightning. The man gazes at the scene for a moment, then slowly makes his way back to the Old House. He is gray haired under his hat, but we can’t see his face. He enters the house and lights one candle with his gloved hands. He sets it on the tall writing desk, finds pen and paper, and writes a note.

Carolyn serves Julia from the silver tea service. Julia explains about hearing voices from the past and what they said about Barnabas disappearing from the Old House. Julia suddenly realizes, I was wrong in thinking that meant Barnabas was dead! He must actually be on his way back to 1969! She leaves for the Old House, despite Carolyn’s attempts to stop her.

The man at the Old House searches behind Willie’s louvered door (to the left of the fireplace), then gazes at Barnabas’s 1967 portrait for a moment before moving toward the bookshelves to the right of the fireplace. Julia arrives and sees the man, then dashes out of sight as she realizes he isn’t Barnabas but a complete stranger. He blows out the candle and leaves the house--but is caught in the bright beam of Julia’s flashlight. She asks him, Who are you?........

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
Neat ritual.  So was it water that was given to Barnabas to drink?  The branches, the goblet, the fire... accessories that mark my initial introduction to earth-based religions.  It's too bad Gordon Russell couldn't come up with better imagery.  "Shall stand upon this earth as one stands upon a footstool"... Seriously?

What I gather is that innumerable Leviathans are dormant, but Barnabas will pave the way for them to become flesh and blood in his modern time.  Haza and Oberon will go along as spirits so they can advise him through his dreams.  Not long after, a powerful leader will emerge at the time the box will be opened.  All of this was prophesied 2000 years ago.

I'm using the quotes in the Leviathan Concordance, which is pretty good btw.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
Thanks, Midnite. I'll definitely check out that concordance.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:35 AM »
Good post, Midnite.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:02:31 PM »
The Concordances are excellent episode guides, better then the ones for other television shows that can be bought in stores.

Although, I wonder when the 1897 Concordance Part 2 (beginning with the first appearance of Aristede and ending with the 2nd return to 1796 episode) will be released as it is the last one to be made. 

Though there is an original 1897 Concordance covering the entire storyline.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »
Thanks, Magnus.