Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1192  (Read 1862 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1192
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:59:29 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1192
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
"Julia says it will take a couple of days for Desmond to get well so he can go with us", says Quentin to Daphne--"I want you to wait at Collinwood until then.
"
Who besides myself thinks this is a stupid idea?  What is WRONG with Quentin’s brain? Did he not recently explain to Daphne that Gerard is behind his being accused of witchcraft? Not to mention that Samantha, who hates Daphne’s guts, will also be at Collinwood.

Liked the whole Joanna/ghost thing. Very spooky.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
The previous episode and the following episode both have VOs referring to its being 1840 still.   That means we've been seeing glimpses into 1840PT, which I shouldn't find interesting, but I do.   I don't remember PT's "accident" that they talk about, or PT Samantha.   In general I seem to keep forgetting everything in the early days of 1841PT.   I don't think the early events really affect later events much.

Oooh, RT Sam wants to torture Daphne to get her to speak!   (Re where Q is...)  Her date with comeuppance was just moved up.... ***   My advice:  Don't ever meet anyone at a cliff's edge for any reason.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
Liked the whole Joanna/ghost thing. Very spooky.
Yeah, that worked.  I've been thinking of Joanna as Glinda the Good Witch, not in a good way, and I like seeing Glinda as a killer.  Not to mention that Lee Beery knew her lines for the Widows Hill scene.  That's always a plus.

The whole Joanna business is sort of strange, however.  I don't have any trouble with a ghost being solid flesh; I remember Sam Evans lifting Sarah up onto a stool.  I accept that there are different forms of Dark Shadows ghosts, and I don't much worry about why. But I always think of ghosts as being singleminded (death concentrates the mind wonderfully, I figure), and Joanna apparently was not.  First she was going to be with Quentin again, and then she accepted that Quentin loved Daphne instead, and then she decided Samantha had to be killed so that Quentin could make an honest woman of Daphne.  I wonder if Quentin's resistance to Joanna was because she was dead.  Quentin didn't know she was dead, but something - some undefined thing - might have communicated to some undefined part of Quentin that Joanna was not quite the same person she had been before.  And would Joanna have killed Samantha (I'm assuming that Samantha does not survive the Widows Hill encounter) if Daphne hadn't complained about her?  That sort of bothers me.  An eye for an eye, a life for a life, is one thing.  But "Samantha, you're in the way" is another.

Incidentally, this is the second day in a row that we've seen a ghost kill a killer.

In general I seem to keep forgetting everything in the early days of 1841PT.   I don't think the early events really affect later events much.
I disagree with you on that, Magnus.  I feel that we're getting solidly into the 1841 parallel time storyline here, more than was the case with our glimpses of 1970 parallel time before Barnabas found himself there.  Stella has disappeared under alarming circumstances, her brother has come to Collinwood to see her, and Catherine has just agreed to marry Morgan.  That's three significant events.  You're right, however, that we don't see much more, if anything, of Samantha, and I wish we did.  The difference between parallel time Samantha and our time Samantha makes our time Samantha much more fun to watch.  I know that the scene between Samantha and Catherine increased my enjoyment of the Widows Hill scene with Samantha and Joanna.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
I love love love Q1's enthusiasm, despite his real danger, over Professor Ernest Weissman of Vienna and his theory of parallel time! After all, Q1 did invent the Stairway throught Time. It was throw-away stuff and never mentioned again, but Selby really makes us believe it. Too bad he isn't that smart all the time, as when he made the idiotic suggestion that Desmond could recuperate at Collinwood. Maybe he was going to hide him in the East Wing somewhere.

Were there really trained professional nurses in 1840? I thought Florence Nightingale started professional nursing during the Crimean War about a decade later. Maybe that's one difference between RT and PT. That green brocade silk gown seems a bit sumptuous for a mere nurse, but it does look nice on Virginia Vestoff. Ditto RT Samantha's vermillion number.

I think RT Samantha is the only other person besides Joshua and Nathan in 1795 to shoot someone (Joanna) who can't die because they're already dead.

I enjoyed the cliffside scene in this ep., not least because Lee Beery actually got her lines right and delivered them well. But it seems as if the writers invented Joanna without really knowing what they wanted to do with her. I suppose that's why she always seemed so enigmatic to me. At least Lee Beery got the enigmatic gaze right, even if she blew a lot of her lines.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
The whole Joanna business is sort of strange, however.  I don't have any trouble with a ghost being solid flesh; I remember Sam Evans lifting Sarah up onto a stool.  I accept that there are different forms of Dark Shadows ghosts, and I don't much worry about why.

I don’t have a problem with Joanna appearing to be solid either. I did, however wonder why her bones weren’t in her coffin. Is it because she’s a flesh and blood ghostie? Or maybe her body was never recovered?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Probably the latter, Janet.   Before we leave 1840 and Joanna, did everyone notice the hint they were giving us that Joanna was a ghost, when she entered the Fishing Shack without touching the door to open it, with a gush of wind?   Maybe that was obvious to everyone, but I was surprised that no one commented and found it cool, as I did.   It was something that Q (and viewers) could easily not notice, assuming it was a random gush of wind, or one could think he/she just didn't notice her physically opening the door...   And of course, it was funny that after blowing the door open, she immediately blows her line...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:49:51 AM »
I did not notice that, Holy Water. Very cool.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
I love love love Q1's enthusiasm, despite his real danger, over Professor Ernest Weissman of Vienna and his theory of parallel time! After all, Q1 did invent the Stairway throught Time. It was throw-away stuff and never mentioned again, but Selby really makes us believe it.
I loved it too, and hoped that at some point there would be time for a long conversation between Quentin and Professor Stokes about parallel time and the staircase.

Also I loved the way Quentin ran to Daphne, and I was glad we got to see it a second time.  Suddenly my doubts about the reality of the feeling between Quentin and Daphne vanished.

I don’t have a problem with Joanna appearing to be solid either. I did, however wonder why her bones weren’t in her coffin. Is it because she’s a flesh and blood ghostie? Or maybe her body was never recovered?
I think Joanna's body must have been recovered, because, if I remember correctly, first they didn't know what had become of Joanna and then her body was found.  I think the empty coffin was just one of those Dark Shadows things.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »
I will go ahead and comment on some things on this thread without a review.  I have to say it pains me to see watch Lee Berry act.  I hate to be so crude but (to me) she is just horrible as she is stiff and blows her lines often. She is a beautiful woman though.   That being said, I have never seen her act in anything else.

I used to feel the same way about Lisa Richards. While I still don't enjoy watching her on DS; I do really loved her audio drama with David Selby. IT was wonderful! :)  

Has anyone else had the chance to see Lee in anything other than DS?

And I may be in the minority; but I would have liked to have seen VV's character in PT remain.  I liked her much better than RT Sam.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »
Here is all that the Internet Movie Database has on Lee Beery--not a whole lot. But I've only seen her in DS.

I'll join you in the minority, TC--I also would have liked to see more of Virginia Vestoff. PT Samantha would have been interesting, but maybe VV got a better offer elsewhere. She had already been nominated for a Tony for creating the role of Abigail Adams in 1776.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
Has anyone else had the chance to see Lee in anything other than DS?

Only in her brief appearance in the The Hospital and she's just as stiff as she was on DS:
The Hospital, part 3  (see-- 6:29 to 6:46)
And considering her rumored(!) acting pedigree, that's just sad.

I've not had the pleasure, however, of hearing Lee Beery sing, and I understand she has a terrific voice.  I might someday get hold of the 1970s Broadway cast recording of Cyrano (with Christopher Plummer), or an episode of the 1960s musical TV series The Legend of Robin Hood in which she sang as Maid Marian.

Did you know she's married to [EGOT winner] Jonathan Tunick?  Or that she received a Tony nomination for her role as Roxana in the above?

Here is all that the Internet Movie Database has on Lee Beery--not a whole lot.

TL of RH is listed under Leigh Beery.  But her musical stage credits are a lot more impressive anyway.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
Thanks Midnite. It would be nice to see her in other things. Perhaps live Tv was hard for her.  Not everyone is cut out for it and that doesn't make them a bad actor or actress in my opinion! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/