Author Topic: A Dark Shadows Cruise? / merged /w DS cruise update  (Read 9175 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: A Dark Shadows Cruise?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 05:22:43 AM »
Not that this makes a bit of difference, because she probably would've come ANYWAY, but while waiting at KLS's table this year at the fest, someone was talking to her hubby, confirming that they had a place in NYC. And he said that one of the reasons they were there this year was because they were already going to be in town for something else, and were staying at their NYC place.

Anywho, a train trip sounds awesome. I'd do that too. But I like the cruise better. We could do it during the winter. Down in the Caribbean it's hot year round.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »

Believe it or not, there was a Fest in Dallas in July of '86.

I believe the 1986 Dallas Festival was the third one held in that city. I attended it and besides Jonathan Frid and Terry Crawford, Diana Millay was also a guest. They were able to have the Fests in that city due to DS being shown on a local TV station (I think it was an independent station rather than a PBS) and there was a large fan following in that area of Texas. Jim Pierson and Dave Brown pretty much arranged these Fests, this being prior to Jim's taking over the helm of the East/West coast DS Festivals. :)

SDP

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
From what I understand from a friend who is on the committee, Sharon is no longer invited, not sure why she was so sweet.

I don't think that she's no longer invited. I am sure the Fest and Shadowgram stay in touch with her. I think that the Fests might have to limit the number of their guests due to today's higher expenses and/or a smaller number of Fest attendees as compared to the large crowds that they had in the 80s. Since DS is currently not airing on a national cable outlet, the numbers of attendees is relatively low. If DS has another surge (very likely with the Johnny Depp project) then perhaps the Festivals will grow to 2000 - 3000 attendees again. Then they will likely be able to invite as many DS actors as they can.  :D

SDP

David

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »
The two Donnas, McKechnie & Wandrey, appear in NYC only.  Lisa Richards appears in LA only.  Sharon Smyth, who seems to have dropped off the radar, also appeared in NYC only.  Chris Pennock/James Storm used   to appear in NY, but don't anymore.

Okay, as far as I know, Donna McKechnie's first and only Fest was last year in Brooklyn.   Has she appeared at any others?  Donna Wandrey HAS appeared in LA before, she was at the 1991 Fest for sure and I'm pretty sure she was there in 1994.  Lisa Richards was, IMHO, such a *minor* chararcter who even cares if she ever appears again?  LOL!   >:D  From what I understand from a friend who is on the committee, Sharon is no longer invited, not sure why she was so sweet.  Jim Storm was at the Brooklyn Fest in 2003.  I'm told, w/the exception of this year since none of the LA stars, save for Lara and KLS, were invited, that the past couple Fests he's been priorly committed and that's why he hasn't come.  Chris Pennock was in Brooklyn last year. 

I know that Terry Crawford has  not been invited to the last 2 fests  because of "budget" restrictions. She's been told she's welcome to attend if she pays her own way!!!!!!

Sharon Smyth lives about 3 hours from NYC by car.
Why wouldn't they invite here, she is a delight!
I want to know what's going on!!!

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »
That's not accurate, David.  I know because I asked Jim how the guests were determined and now, because of budget restrictions, the bigger draws get their way paid and the lesser draws do not.  As I have said many times here and elsewhere, the DS Fest or event in August was kept deliberately small in terms of guests.  It is true that all actors are invited to all DS events and fests but not all get their way paid.  Getting their way paid is a big factor for DS actors in deciding whether or not to attend a fest on the opposite coast.   Those who live on the same coast of the fest and are relatively nearby may want to stay overnight and that expense is not going to be covered.  So that may mean that actor will decide it's not worth the trouble to go back and forth for a single, long day.

KLS has an apartment in NYC (I know because I was asked to pick her up there) and Lara was on the coast for August.  They were able to attend.  Who knows, KLS might have paid her own way there anyhow. :-X

There will undoubtedly be more money available to fly in actors etc. if DS gets picked up again by a local station and/or the Johnny Depp proposed DS movie happens.

Nancy

It seems the stars themselves prefer NY or LA.
And some of the stars who live in LA won't go to New York anymore~~and vice versa.

David

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »
Hey Nancy:

how goes it?
When I lived in Manhattan from '96-'99, I ued to run into Kathryn & her hubby on 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave all the time~~that was fun!
Kathryn is the only DS star who actually saw me carrying my groceries home!

If there are budget restrictions, them Jim P should decide who he wants to invite to each fest and invite them only.
I feel it's very unprofessional to tell actors
"I can't pay your way, so you pay."

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »
Getting their way paid is a big factor for DS actors in deciding whether or not to attend a fest on the opposite coast.

Perhaps it's a big factor some of the time, but certainly not the only one.  You brought up the recent "Celebration 2007" Fest, where it was made clear to the actors and fans that it would be Fridcentric and different from previous events, and for those actors who did choose to step back and let Frid have the spotlight, cost was not a factor.  I'm sure professional and personal commitments are huge factors.  And it seemed to me that all the actors who chose attend the Tarrytown event anyway were selling merchandise.  I imagine it impacts one's decision to attend when personal expenses happen to be tax write offs.

There will undoubtedly be more money available to fly in actors etc. if DS gets picked up again by a local station and/or the Johnny Depp proposed DS movie happens.

Really?  I thought the Festival organization/Official DS Fan Club is financially independent of DCP.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 10:10:24 PM »
why does the almighty god of the festival have to bless this idea? the cruise can be organized independently and the 2 stars can be contacted through their websites. if the stars want to attend they will decide on their own.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »
donna mckechnie made a surprise visit to a shadowcon way back in 1982!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 11:07:10 PM »
From what I understand from a friend who is on the committee, Sharon is no longer invited, not sure why she was so sweet.

I don't think that she's no longer invited. I am sure the Fest and Shadowgram stay in touch with her. I think that the Fests might have to limit the number of their guests due to today's higher expenses and/or a smaller number of Fest attendees as compared to the large crowds that they had in the 80s.  

Oh, I didn't mean to imply she had done something wrong and was banished by Jim or anyone!  No, no, no!  I definately DO think it's a budget thing as you say as the crowds definately HAVE gotten smaller, at least since I started attending in 1990.  The hugest crowd I saw was 1997, mah don (Soprano-speak  ;D), there must have been 3,000 ppl, seemed like it anyway. I was just trying to offer up to David a reason why Sharon hadn't shown up in a while, 'cause I didn't want anyone to think she didn't WANT to come (and hey, who knows, maybe she doesn't, LOL!   ^-^)  But yes, I think that IF Depp does the movie and it does well and fandom and the Fests get a new shot in the arm (and subsequently the budget goes up) then yeah, I'm sure they'll put out a blanket invite to whomever wants to come!   ;)

Not that this makes a bit of difference, because she probably would've come ANYWAY, but while waiting at KLS's table this year at the fest, someone was talking to her hubby, confirming that they had a place in NYC. And he said that one of the reasons they were there this year was because they were already going to be in town for something else, and were staying at their NYC place.

I heard that too Brandon, I thing that is correct.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »
mah don (Soprano-speak  ;D)

I despise The Sopranos with every fiber of my being, but if you hear an Italian say what sounds like "madon" or "maron" (depending on their dialect), they're saying Madonna, which is as common as Americans saying, "Oh my God!"  :D

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »
for those actors who did choose to step back and let Frid have the spotlight, cost was not a factor.
For at least one actor who didn't attend, cost wasn't the issue. As you note, it was a choice to go along with the spirit of the reconfigured event and stay away from it, thereby keeping the event small, even if the actor in question was, in fact, on the East Coast at the time.

I can say no more.  :-X

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 12:44:52 AM »

I have to agree here. I'm not sure how I would feel, were I one of the actors, and I was told "Well we're paying for KLS, LP, and AM (were she to attend) but not for you, because those other three always draw big crowds." I mean, I'm sure that it's worded a little nicer than that, or maybe not, but I think I'd feel slightly snubbed.

But, that doesn't mean that I don't see WHY JP and the fest committee are doing that. I mean, if they paid for the transportation and housing of each star that wanted to attend every year, it WOULD become quite expensive, and seeing as there is a financial side to all this--at least wanting to break even--it's not exactly a horrible business practice. Then again, they could just say "we're not paying for any of you, so those of you who want to come and peddle your business, c'mon."

why does the almighty god of the festival have to bless this idea? the cruise can be organized independently and the 2 stars can be contacted through their websites. if the stars want to attend they will decide on their own.

Abso-friggin-lutely!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 01:44:22 AM »
Really?  I thought the Festival organization/Official DS Fan Club is financially independent of DCP.

The fest is a non-profit organization but clearly it does better financially when DS is on the air and in syndication.  The festivals traditionally attract larger crowds when the show is playing somewhere. That translates into taking in more money and being able to spend more money.   If the Johnny Depp movie pans out that will attract new people into the fandom and maybe fans whose interest dropped off will come back into the fold.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 01:48:40 AM »
Most of the actors who attend fests hear when the fest is going to be so it's not a matter of their waiting to be invited.  Whether or not they are getting their way paid is what they might wait to hear.

Frankly, I think the DS actors are long since aware of the pecking order of their popularity and drawing power at the fests.  They were aware of their popularity with fans from the time the series was on and who was getting the most fan mail. 

Nancy