Author Topic: Something Fun to read just saw.  (Read 3072 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Something Fun to read just saw.
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:17:37 AM »
The Lost Signal: Living La Vida Shadows

Here is a great piece that you might want to read.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: Something Fun to read just saw.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »
Always nice to see such a piece from someone who gets it.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:17:44 PM »
Here is a great piece that you might want to read.

Nice article but alas, filled w/inaccuracies.  I wish to god these ppl would RESEARCH the show and it's plotlines before penning articles about it!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »
A bit heavy on the adjectives. My god, Jim!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:09:52 PM »

LOL!  "Vile oil paintings of hate" and "female witch" do seem to have come out of the School of Redundancy College.

Buzz, I thought the author sounded like a fan who is intimate with the entire series.  I especially liked the comment that no one goes to bed before 3 or 4 in the morning.  :D

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »

I'm a doctor not an English major! >:(

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »
Buzz, I thought the author sounded like a fan who is intimate with the entire series. 

Ah, you've challenged me Midnite!   >:D  Okay, here's what I found incorrect:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

1. DS did not start in 1967 as he claims at the beginning of the article.
2. He claims that there are 1225 episodes LEFT from the intro. of Barnabas on, not 1225 total.
3. He claims Petofi had a brogue, gee, didn't realize he was Irish.  I don't recall him having ANY accent, let alone a brogue.
4. He claims Judith feared being buried alive when it was Liz that feared this.  Then says she shot her husband and buried him in the basement, again this was Liz.  And Liz didn't shoot Paul, she clocked him w/a fire poker.

5. No one's husband was walled up in a basement alcove, if he's talking about Rev. Trask, who's husband was he?
6. There were no shapeshifters that I recall unless he's talking about the Leviathans, and none of them had brothers who were walled up in the West Wing.

7. Angelique was not left at the alter, Barnabas married her.

Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »
Ah, you've challenged me Midnite!   >:D  Okay, here's what I found incorrect:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

1. DS did not start in 1967 as he claims at the beginning of the article.
2. He claims that there are 1225 episodes LEFT from the intro. of Barnabas on, not 1225 total.
3. He claims Petofi had a brogue, gee, didn't realize he was Irish.  I don't recall him having ANY accent, let alone a brogue.
4. He claims Judith feared being buried alive when it was Liz that feared this.  Then says she shot her husband and buried him in the basement, again this was Liz.  And Liz didn't shoot Paul, she clocked him w/a fire poker.

5. No one's husband was walled up in a basement alcove, if he's talking about Rev. Trask, who's husband was he?
6. There were no shapeshifters that I recall unless he's talking about the Leviathans, and none of them had brothers who were walled up in the West Wing.

You're right here, Buzz, a few details aren't perfect and he was off by about half a year and a couple of hundred episodes, though I don't agree with your original comment that the article was "filled with inaccuracies."  And since it was written as his tongue-in-cheek interpretation of the series and not as a timeline, I think it was generally right on the mark.  The author is obviously a fan who has seen the series more than once but confuses a few of the events as most fans often do.  After all, the DS Program Guide tells us that Lamar Trask was shot, and I won't even get into the errors in KLS' books.  So I can't say I'm surprised that this guy would think Liz shot Paul, or that he mixed Gregory Trask's fate up with his great-great-grandfather's (or great-grandfather's, depending on which DS scene you choose to believe; even the show's writers got tripped up on their own details).

But I am thrilled to have offered you a challenge and honored that you took me up on it!

I'm pretty sure the author didn't say that Judith feared being buried alive.  It was a paragraph about the head of household, and while he never mentioned any names he seemed to go back and forth between Judith and Liz.

As for Petofi, he described him as a "Hungarian diplomat with a Carnaby Street fashion sense and thick-tongued brogue," an interpretation I found hilarious.  But then again I'm easily entertained.  :D

Werewolves are shapeshifters, btw.

7. Angelique was not left at the alter, Barnabas married her.

That one drove me nuts.  Yes, Barnabas did marry her before dumping her.  But the line reminded me of an experience at a wedding shower years ago where I played one of those lame party games, and in this case it was a word scramble of terms relating to a wedding in which the letters in one entry were something like TALRE, and I could NOT get that the answer was ALTER, nor did the bride realize that weddings take place at an ALTAR.  ;)

Getting back to the article, one thing that stumped me was "closets containing entry to hidden horrors."  Unless he's thinking of the Narnia books ::), was he perhaps interpreting the I-Ching door in the basement to be a closet?  Or the dream curse doors?  Am I forgetting something?

But anyway, it was refreshing to read a new take on the series as well as an article that doesn't refer to a rabid fan base or use that blasted c-word!  (Camp, that is.)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »
I won't even get into the errors in KLS' books...even the show's writers got tripped up on their own details).

No joke!  To this day she insists that when Sam died he said, "Where is it! Where is it!" and he didn't.  Quite obviously she's confused about what probably happened in Dress Rehersal and NOT the actual taping.  But who's gonna argue w/the Queen Bee of DS?   ::)  I also agree about the writers.  One of my favorite 'behind the scenes' stories is the time they were doing a read through of the next day's scripts and got hung up on a continuity question and Frid saying, "This is ridiculous, someone just go ask the kids outside!"   ^-^

Hmm, did not know that... ???

Getting back to the article, one thing that stumped me was "closets containing entry to hidden horrors." 

I just figured he was talking about the upstairs closet that turned into 1. The playroom in 1840 and/or the Staircase Through Time.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »
Quote from: Midnite

Oops, I forgot to add that I assumed the shapeshifting brother walled up in the West Wing referred to Quentin.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 05:58:43 PM »
Getting back to the article, one thing that stumped me was "closets containing entry to hidden horrors."  Unless he's thinking of the Narnia books ::), was he perhaps interpreting the I-Ching door in the basement to be a closet?  Or the dream curse doors?  Am I forgetting something?
Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. I can't believe I am having to explain this to you of all people. Clearly, it is a reference to the show's fashion horrors.  [jester]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
I just figured he was talking about the upstairs closet that turned into 1. The playroom in 1840 and/or the Staircase Through Time.   8)

Oh, duh!  Thanks!!

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. I can't believe I am having to explain this to you of all people. Clearly, it is a reference to the show's fashion horrors.  [jester]

[laughing4]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
Getting back to the article, one thing that stumped me was "closets containing entry to hidden horrors." 
Clearly, it is a reference to the show's fashion horrors. 

Or could he have been talking about some of the closeted actors?  Or characters?  (Brokeback Shadows comes immediately to mind! >:D  (kidding ppl!  ;))
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 07:19:14 PM »
That was a very funny bit - Brokeback Shadows.

Or could he have been talking about some of the closeted actors?  Or characters?  (Brokeback Shadows comes immediately to mind! >:D  (kidding ppl!  ;))

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »
That was a very funny bit - Brokeback Shadows.

The timing of the thing was just hysterical!  The audio of the wife saying, "You don't go up there to go fishing!" PERFECTLY timed to the visual of Angelique cursing Barnabas just about put me on the floor!  Then there was the Photoshopped movie poster w/Barnabas & Willie.  The whole thing brought back memories of those old Jean Graham fan fics about Barnabas & Jeremiah, LOL!    >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"