Author Topic: Lara Parker's Upcoming DS Book  (Read 2212 times)

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Lara Parker's Upcoming DS Book
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:41:45 AM »
Does anybody know anything about Lara Parker's upcoming DS novel? I'm desperate for any scraps of info, tenative release date, plot threads, anything!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Parker's Upcoming DS Book
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:32:13 AM »
ms. parker's last stab at literature "the salem branch" was so utterly,astoundingly,breathtakingly awful it soured me to any of her future novel writing endeavors.

i'll sit this one out.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:19:27 AM »
<lol> I never read The Salem Branch, having paid my dues by slogging through Angelique's Descent, but from what I've heard about it, I feel confident that I haven't missed anything.  I suspect that she owes her writing "career" to the recognition value of her name among DS fans.

And while I realize that many fans disliked Hawkes Harbor as much as I disliked AD, I wish that the powers that be had not rejected it as the next DS novel.  I recently read it for a second time -- concurrently with my viewing of the Jason-Willie episodes -- and thought that S.E. Hinton did a fine job of staying true to the DS universe while providing the reader with a fresh take on the characters.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
I bought "The Salem Branch" several years ago. I've read half of the novel and I just could'nt get into it.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:56:04 PM »
Where did you see she has a new book coming out?  Last I checked, it wasnt on her site.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »
Joeytrom, she spoke about her next book at this year's Fest.  Here's one mention of it:

Lara gave more info about her third DS novel, which includes several plotlines, including a flashback back to the 1920's and Flapper Liz, that might be interesting

Maybe someone who was present for her talk can provide more details.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Lara Parker's Angelique's Descent, as well as SE Hinton's Hawkes Harbor.  As for The Salem Branch, well, eh.  But let us also not forget the wonderful read of the other book in the series, written by some guy, oh, what's his name, Mark...Mark..Mark Something-Or-Other.  You know him.  He shows up around here every once in awhile.  Has a thing for Rodan.  Nice guy, but don't get him made because he knows all those Lovecraftian curses and how to use them!

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Ah, those Lovecraftian curses. So often they backfire, and next thing you know, you're stuck in some outer realm of chaos, where DS isn't shown anywhere, the DVD player laughs at you, and your VHS tapes have all been demagnetized.

Thanks for the kind notice. I've another Big Finish dramatic reading coming out in 2010, which I hope you'll enjoy.  [santa_smiley]

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »
Ooh I want more details. I wasn't at the Fest, I think I read that there was going to be a new LP book on the Big Finish DS message board.
A flashback to the 20s and flapper Liz sounds wonderful, I have always been curious about those missing years, and Liz is such a mysterious character I can't wait to learn more. Maybe we'll get some answers as to Vicki's father.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:20 AM »
If the proposed novel has a setting in the 1920's, and Liz is a flapper, that would create havoc with the time line (but since when has that stopped DS?).  Elizabeth's character was born in 1917 which would make her a little girl during the '20's.  She was 30 when Carolyn was born in 1947.  She would've been 28 when Vic...never mind. 

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »
Mark Stormy [a_xmas]? Is that his name? I'm trying to remember . . . . .

But let us also not forget the wonderful read of the other book in the series, written by some guy, oh, what's his name, Mark...Mark..Mark Something-Or-Other.  You know him.  He shows up around here every once in awhile.  Has a thing for Rodan.  Nice guy, but don't get him made because he knows all those Lovecraftian curses and how to use them!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 04:26:14 AM »
at least this one isn't about hippies who go to the bathroom in the woods.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 04:41:38 AM »
I tried not to think too hard about Liz's age. Maybe she's a 12 year old flapper in 1929? Yeah, that's gonna really be screwed up continuity wise, but it's not like DS never had that problem before.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
A flashback to the 20s and flapper Liz sounds wonderful, I have always been curious about those missing years, and Liz is such a mysterious character I can't wait to learn more. Maybe we'll get some answers as to Vicki's father.

I would be interested in this. Liz has always been an interesting and very complex character. I do want to know more about her past.

I've downloaded a picture of Joan to 'my pictures' I found on the internet.  The scene is Joan alone in a forest, dark and mysterious.  It looks like a PR type photo. I would say that the era looks 40's based on her wardrobe. I can send a copy of the download if interested. However, I will need some instruction on how to pass it on since I'm somewhat technically challenged.  Took me a couple of tries to download to my pc. [santa_smiley]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf