Author Topic: the conclusion of the burke devlin plot  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: the conclusion of the burke devlin plot
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 06:17:29 AM »
That's really interesting, mscbryk!  I will have to look for that.

Like I said,  I wasn't sure when Ryan departed, but I knew it was relatively close to the time of the episode in question.  Maybe the writers had an inkling.   [santa_cheesy]  I am rewatching all the pre-Barnabas episodes right now, and like I said, Ryan's Burke is nothing like George's.  They are like two completely different characters with the same name.  

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »
incidentally there is a rather odd episode(i forget which number)immediately after ryan's departure but before anthony george had been cast where there was no time to rewrite the scripts so burke's lines were given to joe haskell and joel crothers played the scene.
It's episode 252.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 04:47:54 PM »
thanks lydia,

for some reason i imagine the young mitch ryan as seeing himself as a rather "serious thespian" and taking himself quite seriously.

i'm trying to picture his reaction when handed the first vampire scripts. probably "what the f***?!?"
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »
msc, I'm right behind you in cheering the appearance of Lovelady Powell as Mrs. Portia Fitzsimmons.

KLS has a vague but persistent memory of another actress having been cast as Dr. Hoffman before Grayson's definitive casting and I and a couple of other fans have wondered whether this might have referred to the Powers that Be having given Powell a stab at the role.  Presumably, for whatever reason, they tested her in it and she didn't work out.  

Powell is one of those actresses one wishes had been given a recurring role in the series.  Jane Draper and Cavada Humprhey are two others.  I don't understand why Portia Fitzsimmons didn't make at least one other appearance during the March-April 1967 storylines--it would have been appropriate.

Powell had a small but vivid role in the nasty, deftly made Shirley Maclaine vehicle, The Possession of Joel Delaney (1972).  She also appeared in the Happy Hooker, according to IMDB.

Best,

Steve

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 04:15:39 AM »
yes grayson hall and lovelady powell were certainly "cut from the same cloth" as they say. i can see powell in the doctor hoffman role quite easily.

it would have been nice for an additional appearance of MRS. fitzsimmons but in a rare nod to continuity several episodes later after this subplot is over and the jason mcquire/willie loomis plot is underway maggie tells joe that sam is working on some new paintings for "that art dealer" so perhaps sam got that exhibition after all.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 05:51:18 AM »
I actually liked how they wrapped up the Burke/Roger storyline. His making Roger break down and admit his guilt in the manslaughter case is one of the best scenes in the show.

If not for Vicki and David, I think Burke might have gone ahead and took the matter to the police, but as someone else mentioned, he had fallen in love with Vicki and had grown quite fond of David so this was bound to soften him somewhat in regards to how to deal with Roger.