Author Topic: Ep 120 Question  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Ep 120 Question
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:59:26 PM »
 [ChristmaS0]         [candycanes]

On today's montage, there's a picture where "David learns of Vicki's disappearance". What room are David & Mrs. Johnson in?

Thanks,
Patti
and a [size=8]thanks![/size] to MB for posting the montages!!
What a Woman!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Ep 120 Question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 11:45:08 PM »
That's Collinwood's kitchen, which is never seen again after early '67.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 11:48:45 PM »
IIRC, it is also referred to as the "breakfast room" in one of the DS Fest books.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:56:30 AM »
Huh? What? I wanna see the kitchen! Where is this montage? I'm missing out on something here...

(forgive me, I'm kinda new)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 06:58:54 AM »
In PT 1970, there's a scene in a kitchen at Collinwood, with Trask the servant, just before he gets killed...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 07:41:26 AM »
Huh? What? I wanna see the kitchen! Where is this montage? I'm missing out on something here...

(forgive me, I'm kinda new)

Restev, the montages are on the home page.  The large picture you see on the home page is the first of several pics in the montage.  You can click on the arrow at the bottom of the pic to scroll through the other pictures in the montage.  Hope that helps!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 07:55:59 AM »
  Restev, the montages are on the home page.  The large picture you see on the home page is the first of several pics in the montage.  You can click on the arrow at the bottom of the pic to scroll through the other pictures in the montage.  Hope that helps!

Thanks!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 06:18:29 PM »
To see two screen captures from scenes that took place in the RT kitchen/"breakfast room"* and a capture of the PT kitchen/butler's pantry, check out:

... Speaking of kitchens ...

The capture from the 12/9 slideshow that featured a scene in the kitchen/"breakfast room"* was this one:

Ep #120: David learns of Vicki's disappearance.

(* As far as calling the room the breakfast room, even though more often than not we certainly see characters eating breakfast there, I *think* that during the early Laura eps we actually see the family eating dinner. So, I suppose they eat other meals there too.  [santa_cheesy])

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
i loved this set!

it's easy to see why one could think of this space as a "breakfast room" since no kitchen appliances are ever seen.no stove.no sink.no refrigerator.
but it's true that they are seen using the room for other meals.

b.t.w. it's strange that in a house as grand as collinwood there is no formal dining room.at least not one that is ever seen or spoken of.in a house like this the kitchen was seen as a servants' place and the family would not have taken meals there.perhaps breakfast or lunch but certainly never dinner.

was the dining room in the "closed-off" part of the house?

i remember one episode in 1967 when carolyn was under a certain "influence" and she and julia are squabbling and carolyn rather snottily informs julia that the family dresses for dinner and the cocktail hour and if julia wants to take part she'd better follow suit.it was caroyln as spoiled heiress/vampire assistant at her very best!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 06:53:59 PM »
mscbryk...in 1895, David has a dream. Quentin is in it. It takes place in 1968/9 and it's a birthday party. It's in a dining room.

(Gosh, I hope I didn't just make that up...)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 07:01:46 PM »
hi patti.

the super-bizzare 1897/1969 dream you speak of was recently under discussion here.it was the absolute weirdest!

you're right that this "party" took place in a dining room but the room was actually the drawing room at the old house set up like a dining room.it wasn't a seperate set.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 07:14:17 PM »
it's easy to see why one could think of this space as a "breakfast room" since no kitchen appliances are ever seen.no stove.no sink.no refrigerator.

You've got that right! I think the only appliances we see in that set are a toaster and an electric coffee pot. Apparenly either everything else is in a different room or on the two walls that we never see.  [santa_wink]

b.t.w. it's strange that in a house as grand as collinwood there is no formal dining room.at least not one that is ever seen or spoken of.in a house like this the kitchen was seen as a servants' place and the family would not have taken meals there.perhaps breakfast or lunch but certainly never dinner.

was the dining room in the "closed-off" part of the house?

Realistically speaking, probably the only reason we never saw a formal dining room was that it just wasn't practical to try to create such a set in the very small studio when they already had Collinwood's foyer and drawing room as permanent sets and the Old House's foyer and drawing room as probably the closest thing to permanent sets. (As it was, actors were frequently tripping over things in their mad dashes to get from set to set. And as anyone who was lucky enough to attend the '89 Fest party at the former studio site knows, the space for sets really was very cramped.) But I've never thought that perhaps the dining room was located in the closed off part of the East Wing. I like that!  [santa_thumb]  And it would explain an awful lot...

i remember one episode in 1967 when carolyn was under a certain "influence" and she and julia are squabbling and carolyn rather snottily informs julia that the family dresses for dinner and the cocktail hour and if julia wants to take part she'd better follow suit.it was caroyln as spoiled heiress/vampire assistant at her very best!

Yes, I love that scene too.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 09:57:11 PM »
  Yes, that room was definitely used for dinner during one of the early Laura episodes.  I watched that episode the other day in fact.

I believe it may have been the "History of Dark Shadows" book that referred to it as the "Breakfast Room."  I do imagine there must have been a formal dining room at Collinwood, but that they probably tended to use the small kitchen one for regular, daily family meals.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD