Author Topic: Censored IM's - Mournful Encumbrance  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Censored IM's - Mournful Encumbrance
« on: May 16, 2005, 07:55:49 PM »
Whilst typing an IM a few days ago I encountered my first experience with the board censoring words - the "f" word to be specific.  I was rather taken aback (did a double-take) when I previewed the message.  ----->  :o

Don't suppose it's possible without a LOT of programming prowess (how's that term!), but WOULD it be possible to make the board censor regular posts and not IM's??  I know you'd never do it, but would it be possible??

-CLC

Hey MB.....I have a book and some disks that are supposed to teach the programming language 'C' in 21 days.  Heh heh - sure.
I was thinking of trying to learn how to write a simple program.  Is that a good/useful/not too difficult language to attempt learning?? 
 ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Censored IM's - Mournful Encumbrance
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »
Don't suppose it's possible without a LOT of programming prowess (how's that term!), but WOULD it be possible to make the board censor regular posts and not IM's??  I know you'd never do it, but would it be possible??

One should be careful about what he/she thinks is possible or what he/she thinks we might or might not do because 1) allowing members to turn off word censoring for PM's is not only very possible, thanks to the way the SMF developers have designed this system, it would be quite easy to program, and 2) I can install that option later today.

Hey MB.....I have a book and some disks that are supposed to teach the programming language 'C' in 21 days.  Heh heh - sure.
I was thinking of trying to learn how to write a simple program.  Is that a good/useful/not too difficult language to attempt learning??

Well, the simple answer is that anyone who was good in Math in school, meaning they have good logic skills, has the potential to be a programmer. Generally, the first class a programming student starts with is a full semester of Programming: Logic, Design and Implementation. Being a Computer Programming teacher, I suppose I'm a bit prejudiced, so, no matter how well a book might be written (and I think I'm familiar with the book you might be talking about, and I'll concide that it is well written), I find it very hard to imagine that any book that promises to make someone a programmer in 21 days is equivalent to that course. However, that being said, such a book can certainly be a great way to get one's feet wet, so to speak.  :)

C and its derivatives, C++ and C#, are widely taught nowadays, because so many other programming languages are based on or derived from them and because programs written in C and C++ can be ported to any operating system with little or no modifications necessary (C# is a Microsoft variation  ::)). The C family of languages don't really have much of a use on the Web - they're mostly used for writing software. However, three languages that are based or derived from the C family: Perl, Java and PHP are widely used on the Web, particularly the latter two. An understanding of C comes in very handy when one wants to learn any of those three.  ;)

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you should definitely give the book a shot. If you find that you like it, who knows where you might move on to from there?  [wink2]

(One program that I can pretty much guarantee that you'll find in the book is the infamous Hello World program because variations of it are almost always the first example that's used to teach any programming language. In C/C++, it should look something like this:

Code: [Select]
#include <iostream.h>

int main ()
{
  cout << "Hello World!";
  return 0;
}

Have fun!  ;D)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
One should be careful about what he/she thinks is possible or what he/she thinks we might or might not do

Uh oh... :o   lol

1) allowing members to turn off word censoring for PM's is not only very possible, thanks to the way the SMF developers have designed this system, it would be quite easy to program, and 2) I can install that option later today.

Wow - really?  I would think trying to program something like that would be a big mess.

Well, the simple answer is that anyone who was good in Math in school, meaning they have good logic skills, has the potential to be a programmer.

Well, was never real great in math.  If there's anything remotely related to Geometry, forget it.  But....I WAS quite attuned to Algebra -- if/then, and/or, variables, etc.  Plus, gimme an equation and I'll balance it!  LOL  Would I qualify??

Being a Computer Programming teacher, I suppose I'm a bit prejudiced,...

Whoa - I didn't know you actually taught programming!  So, you could probably program just about anything.

C and its derivatives, C++ and C#, are widely taught nowadays, because so many other programming languages are based on or derived from them and because programs written in C and C++ can be ported to any operating system with little or no modifications necessary (C# is a Microsoft variation  ::)).......

Ah good.  Wanted to make sure it wasn't a waste of time trying to learn a language that might be out-moded or something.  I picked up the package (C Programming Starter Kit) a few years ago in a discount bin for only $9.00 and never even opened it 'till a few days ago.  If it's helpful in learning other things like Java, etc., then that's even better!

#include <iostream.h>

Uh oh....I don't even know what an iostream.h is.   :-
Looks like I'll be clawing my way up from the bottom.

Thanks for the info.    ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:26:37 AM »
I can install that option later today.

I haven't installed it yet because we're considering an alternative and everyone hasn't had the chance to offer their opinion. But once a decision has been reached, I'll post whatever option will be made available.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 06:04:04 AM »
I WAS quite attuned to Algebra -- if/then, and/or, variables, etc.  Plus, gimme an equation and I'll balance it!  LOL  Would I qualify??

Various forms of if/then/else and and/or/not statements are a big part of programming (that's where a good deal of the logic comes in). Only the simplest of programs can get by without at least one.

I didn't know you actually taught programming!  So, you could probably program just about anything.

Umm - not exactly. And unless it's in jest, I seriously doubt any programmer would claim to be able to program anything. There are certain general things that every programmer can do. And then there are other areas that programmers will pick as their specialty, be it business, graphics, operating systems, Internet development, or several other types of programs. But there's no need or even a desire to get into everything. Computer Programming is an amazingly varied field and one lifetime is certainly not enough time to master it all.  :D

#include <iostream.h>

Uh oh....I don't even know what an iostream.h is.   :-
Looks like I'll be clawing my way up from the bottom.

Not that I want to frighten you before you even begin, but in the case of that program, the iostream.h file contains info that C/C++ needs to be able to output the text "Hello World" to a monitor screen. Specifically, it's the input/output stream header file. If you take to C/C++, terms like input, output, stream, and header are going to become quite commonplace to you.  ;)  It's practically impossible to write a C/C++ program without at least one header file. Most use several. And as the programs one writes become more advanced, one begins to write his/her own header files whenever a standard header file isn't available for whatever a given program needs to do...

(And I promise that's the first and last C/C++ programming lesson I'll ever be giving on the forum.  [lghy])

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 06:58:55 AM »
Umm - not exactly. And unless it's in jest, I seriously doubt any programmer would claim to be able to program anything.

No - not in jest.  {I didn't give ya a ------>  ;)}  Just goes to show I have no concept of what's involved.  I'm afraid I'm painfully naive about the subject.  (Probably even MORE naive to think I'd be capable of grasping enough to write a program).   :-

Not that I want to frighten you before you even begin, but in the case of that program, the iostream.h file contains info that C/C++ needs to be able to output the text "Hello World" to a monitor screen. Specifically, it's the input/output stream header file.

I already AM frightened.  LOL  Guess all I can do is sit down and start from page 1.
(Wonder how long it will take for me to throw my hands up in annoyance)
(Either that, or go running away in horror)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 03:23:54 PM »
And unless it's in jest, I seriously doubt any programmer would claim to be able to program anything.
No - not in jest.  {I didn't give ya a ------> [wink]}
  [wavey]  I think MB meant that a programmer wouldn't make the claim unless s/he were saying it in jest.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »
Ah...yes.  I see it now.   8)

Not interpreting what I read very well lately.

love
CLC
Signing up for the course:  Reading For Meaning (Fifth grade level, I'd estimate)   :-
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 10:06:16 PM »
WOULD it be possible to make the board censor regular posts and not IM's??

Actually, we've decided to allow members to turn off word censoring entirely if they'd like. When I first responded yesterday, I'd completely forgotten that the forum's system already has an option to allow members to turn off word censoring in both PMs and posts. The default setting is to not offer the option, but I've changed that. So, anyone who might want to take advantage of the option should go into their profile, click on "Look and Layout Preferences" under the "Modify Profile" heading, and once that page comes up, place a checkmark in the box opposite "Leave words uncensored." And, as always, be sure to scroll down and click the "Change profile" button.  ;)

(Unavoidable Disclaimer: Should a member take offense to any words that they or others might read after that member has disabled word censoring, please remember that the accountability of turning off word censoring is completely a member's own. Even though the forum's censored word list is very short and in most cases only a few letters are replaced by asterisks, meaning it's pretty easy to figure out what the censored word actually is, the forum's default setting will always be to keep word censoring in place.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 11:54:09 PM »
Since  the most recent up upgrade, is it already on leave words uncensored?

And, if I click leave words censored, then Connie (foul-mouthed hussie she is ;D ) uses a P R O F A N I T Y, would I see it...or would it be blanked?

Thanks (love you bunches Connie),

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:09:27 AM »
I'm not a hussie.  I'm a degenerate.  (Well, at least I try)   ;D

So!  Is anyone else around here as impressed with this customizable (sp?) feature as I am??  [thumb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 01:19:56 AM »
Since  the most recent up upgrade, is it already on leave words uncensored?

Patti...

I just went and checked.  You have to go into your profile and check the option 'leave words uncensored'.  The board defaults on its own to censoring the words (whatever they are).

SO...if you want some sort of smutty, most probably infantile, private message from me, you gotta go change your setting.   :-*

:-X
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>