Author Topic: Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:50 PM »
The original question assumes that people knocking a remake are just doing it without thinking, because they're just used to the original and won't accept anything different.   That happens, but often the criticisms are valid and well thought out.    We also have the problem of viewers being seduced by newer and better-financed remakes, because of how they look more than anything else, and the fact that so many people assume new is better.    There are simplistic reactions on all sides.

I don't demand that a new DS be just like the original.  If they make something separate and great in its own way, another vision of it, that's great.    I just don't think that happens, and I don't want the new version to be in competition with the original.   Successful remakes can lead people to leave the original version behind.  I think that's happening with Doctor Who.

I don't want to find someday that DS Forums has become about someone's very different remake, which will have hijacked the fandom (if that happens) and left the original DS in limbo.   "Dark Shadows" will end up referring to the new one.   The old one might almost get defined out of existence.

all too often we spend way too much time bemoaning the ways in which the new version deviates from what we know and love, and too little time considering whether the new material stands up in its own right.

Very true.   It's not always that, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:28 AM »
I don't want to find someday that DS Forums has become about someone's very different remake, which will have hijacked the fandom (if that happens) and left the original DS in limbo.

You don't have to worry about that. For as long as this forum remains in existence, it will always be a place to discuss any and all versions of DS. And I suspect that no matter which version may be the most popular at any given time, each version will always have plenty of fans devoted to it.  [ghost_wink]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 01:21:29 AM »
 Successful remakes can lead people to leave the original version behind...I don't want to find someday that DS Forums has become about someone's very different remake, which will have hijacked the fandom (if that happens) and left the original DS in limbo.   "Dark Shadows" will end up referring to the new one.   The old one might almost get defined out of existence.

Very well put, Magnus!  I admit that I'm one of those knee-jerk "remakes are bad" people, and that's generally speaking, not merely where DS is concerned.  It saddens me when a movie that I love is remade and the people around me either speak only of the newer film, ignorant of the original, or worse, mock the original's production values/story/acting/etc.  When I mention The Mummy, I'm talking about Boris Karloff, not Brendan Fraser.  To me, 13 Ghosts is a William Castle production, not a Dark Castle slasher.  Yet, I often feel like I'm speaking a different language when I try to discuss them with other people because they've been supplanted in the public consciousness by newer special-effects laden flicks.

While I realize that at this point, the continuation of the DS Festivals probably depends on the progress and success of the Depp film, at the same time, I don't want the gatherings to become ComicCon-style conventions where teeny-boppers are running around in goth garb squealing over Johnny.  So I am leery of the new movie and what it may mean for fandom.   

ProfStokes

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 03:59:29 AM »
Good lord! It's tempting to propose marriage to a young woman who is keen on Castle's 13 GHOSTS -- except that my wife would likely disapprove (as would Joanna Going, with whom I have a pending marriage proposal dating back to 1991; alas, she has yet to discover that I exist).

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 04:41:59 AM »
The original question assumes that people knocking a remake are just doing it without thinking, because they're just used to the original and won't accept anything different.   That happens, but often the criticisms are valid and well thought out.    We also have the problem of viewers being seduced by newer and better-financed remakes, because of how they look more than anything else, and the fact that so many people assume new is better. 

The fact that the Depp DS movie is new will probably inject some new blood (hey, I made a pun!) into the DS fandom and I welcome that possibility.  I don't believe the Depp version of the classic will be that much different than the core story though the visuals and characters will be different to us. 

I have a knee-jerk reaction to those who reject any movie, remake or otherwise, before seeing it.  I've been on the production end of things when a production was protested against when the protesters hadn't even seen the play or read the book if it is a book that is being objected to for any reason. [ghost_tongue]

"Accept" or not, if the Depp DS project comes to fruition, it will undoubtedly alter fandom and, again, that's a good thing, IMO.  Nothing like shaking up the coffin a little and see what/who crawls out.   [bite]

I'm sure that in the case of this forum and others, there will be provisions made for fans who prefer one version over another to continue discussing the version they love.   The publicity a Johnny Depp DS movie would bring to the franchise can't help but be good for it.   The classic DS, which Depp would talk about in interviews as he has already done, will be referred to, the series is available for rental or purchase, and fans of the movie may find they like the series.  Some won't of course.  Still, the publicity and the hopeful popularity of the Depp film can do a lot of good for the current  DS fandom in many ways.  We know that DS does have appeal for those in their teens and twenties as we have that age group represented on this forum and other DS groups online. [ghost_wink]

If the new DS movie brings an infusion of goths into the fandom, it doesn't make much time for me to die my hair purple and black, spike it up with a little gel and get into my all black outfit.  If I can remember where I put that damn bullwhip, I'll bring it to the fest following Depp's DS film release.  I think I gave that whip to my last customer when he was leaving the dungeon.  I've gotten mellow in my old age. [ghost_wacko]

Nancy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 07:52:20 AM »
Well put Nancy.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »
I have a good reason for thinking that the Depp movie won't appeal to me: the likelihood that it will emphasize the horror aspects of Dark Shadows, which don't particularly interest me.  I'm sitting here thinking of the various reasons that various Dark Shadows fans have for loving the show.  Horror.  Complicated interweaving plots.  Seeing one actor in several roles.  Interesting, varied sets, with interesting, varied props and costumes.  Bloopers.  Adoration of one particular actor - take your pick as to which.  Adoration of one particular character - take your pick as to which.  Nostalgia.  And lots more reasons that aren't occurring to me at the moment.  There's no way that you can get it all into one movie.  It may be a great movie, but it's definitely not going to be the same.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 11:52:37 AM »
There's no reason why it can't focus on drama, romance, story, and character interaction just as much as horror.  Is it going to be as developed as a tv series? No, but there are plenty of great movies out there that combine many of these elements and manage quite well.

The movie won't be the same, and to me, that's a great thing. I don't want a simple remake where the new actors mimmick the original  actors, or where the dialogue and scenes are exactly the same as what we got in the original series and movies. There's no point in that when we should have a team capable of bringing something creatively different to the table.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:56 PM »
The new pushes out the old these days.   Obviously no one on this site will ban fans of original DS, that wasn't my point.    My experience has been with other fandoms makes me concerned that an influx of new fans of the new film(s) will overwhelm the discussion and redefine what DS is.   

(Original) Doctor Who fandom was alive and well throughout years and years of books and CDs-- now that it's revived in a very different form on TV, "Doctor Who" means the new program to people.     On what I think is the biggest DW board, the new series area is expanding and the "classic" series area is shrinking.     If that's how interests shift, boards won't have any choice.

The special nature of DS fandom may discourage this.   I see more interest in history and drama over production values here than in other fandoms.   I'm still concerned.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »
I understand the point you're making, Magnus. But I honestly doubt that no matter how successful the Depp/DS film may be that it will push aside discussion of the original series to any sort of the degree that concerns you. The '91 series certainly didn't do it. And people may say, well, the '91 series didn't attract that big of an audience, but that's not really true. The facts are that it brought a huge influx of new DS fans to fandom and it boosted attendance rates at DS Fests to new levels. Though what it also did was stimulate interest in the new fans in the original series. Are there DS fans out there who say they only like the '91 series and think the original is a joke? As shocking as some original fans might find it, yes. But even in the days when the '91 series was a huge topic of conversation in the various fanzines at the time (and the '91 stars were appearing at Fests), discussion of the original series (or stars) was never ignored or pushed aside. I don't really see it being much different with the new movie and online duiscussions. If history has taught us anything, it's that the original series will always play a significant role in fandom no matter how many newer versions of DS may come along.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »
I CAME to ADORE the old show from watching the 1991 version  :)  I love them both.  I am sure I would LOVE the 2004 Pilot, I hear it's good, and just needed a few things retooled.  I wish it would leak  [ghost_shocked]!!  I hope to get to the fest in 2009 though.   And yes the 1991 did really resurge fandom.  Cannot wait for the movie.  I hope it leads to a successful trilogy!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
Perhaps the 2004 Pilot will be "accidentally" leaked from Warner Bros. as viral marketing for the new movie?
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
We should only be so lucky!  [ghost_wink]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »
Then again, perhaps someone involved in its production just doesn't want it to get out beyond the screenings it's had at conventions. Joss Whedon was very tight on the Buffy pilot; he said that he didn't care how bootlegged on the internet it was, he would never let it onto a DVD set ever (and having seen it, I can't fathom why; it wasn't that bad). Perhaps someone involved in the 2004 Pilot feels similarly?
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »
While a new DS will never replace the original, it will most assuredly bring more interest to the classic DS.  As Nancy said, it will inject new blood into fandom.  I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see new original series DS material (comics, novels, toys) turn up because of the new DS, and that's definitely a good thing. 

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com