Author Topic: Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:30:16 AM »
I am I guess what you call a second generation DSer. :)  I came to love Dark Shadows thanks to the 1991 revival which I thought was AMAZING.  What it could have done if had gotten a full season!! :(  Anyhoo.  I know that some blame the war, however, more or less I have heard that most original fans didn't take to it.  I know the  original actors were outspoken which I thought was VERY tacky.  Imagine what a good run of a whole new show could have done for fandom.  It wasn't the 60's show.  Plus it would have been great to have them make appearances.   I can tell  you unless this script just completely STINKS (which I doubt with Tim and Johnny) I will be behind it.  I WANT a TRILOGY!!  Will you guys get behind it?

I also TOOK right to the original show and loved it equally as much as the revival. Maybe I can't understand cause I wasn't here the first time around! 

Not listen I am not downing people.  I am just basing my thoughts of what I have read since I started in fandom in 1991!

Thanks
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:54:46 AM »
I wasn't exactly enthralled with the '91 revival, being an orginal, first-generation viewer of the first series.  My problems with it (other than those annoying palm trees in the background) was that it lacked the subtelty of the original.  In the original, the word "vampire," for example, wasn't first uttered until about a half-year into the storyline about Barnabas (and that wasn't until well into the 1795/96 flashback).  In the '91 version, with everyone knowing there were vampires on the lose, how could they not have known that it wasn't the Ben Cross Barnabas?  It was so obvious.  Hopefully, this film version will take things a bit more logically.

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:01:04 AM »
Well Vampires are pretty much a part of everyone's lexicon in this day and time.  << gets back on topic.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:18:44 AM »
those annoying palm trees in the background

Don't make me have to explain again how the reality in Collinsport is that palm trees are perfectly in keeping with all the other extremely odd flora of the region.  [b003]  Or how not only palm trees, but coconut tress, banana trees, and, yes, even cactus could all be seen in Collinsport all year long.  [ghost_grin]  Because I will do it again, you know. Trust me - I will.  [ghost_wink]

As for the Depp/DS film, or any future DS projects for that matter, the best perspective I've ever seen stated as a general principle was said in connection with the reimagined Night Stalker series, and that was that "all too often we spend way too much time bemoaning the ways in which the new version deviates from what we know and love, and too little time considering whether the new material stands up in its own right. In other words, sometimes a remake isn't always a bad thing. They can honour the original and stand alone as solid entertainment at the same time."

Something we might all keep in mind.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »
MB, that perspective would have more credibility had the re-imagined NIGHT STALKER not sucked bilgewater.

Just sayin'. [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 05:26:01 AM »
Well I guess for those of us who didn't think DS 1991 sucked then we can appreciate that statement.  I truly think if DS had been given a full 22 hour season we would have had some of the original cast on.   I also think the show honored the old one in a lot of ways.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:42:57 AM »
MB, that perspective would have more credibility had the re-imagined NIGHT STALKER not sucked bilgewater.

Funny you should mention that because, actually, what's perhaps most interesting is that what I quoted was stated as a preamble to an extremely negative review of the show.  [ghost_wink]  The reviewer didn't like the reimagined Night Stalker at all - but he also fully believed that, as a general principle, original fans of all varieties should use that approach whenever it comes to examining any sort of remakes of their favorites, and that's how he framed his criticism. And when it comes to, say, the '91 DS series, I know you agree that it stands up in its own right as solid entertainment - especially when it comes to a certain doe-eyed, dark-haired governess who was played by a certain doe-eyed, dark-haired beauty.  [ghost_wink]

I also think the show honored the old one in a lot of ways.

I've mentioned on several occasions that I think that in some ways the '91 series honestly improved on the original (check out past discussions for details on how and in what aspects because it's definitely OT to go into it as part of this topic). And who's to say the Depp/DS film might not do the same? Only time will tell...

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:37:35 PM »
MB -- I agree completely with the sentiment; just thought it was semi-amusing in context.  [ghost_wink]

I tell you, all these years later, those people at the agency are still sitting on my application to be governed by said governess, and I haven't heard diddly. What's up with that?

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
Bleh, this whole generations thing confuses me to death. First-generation would be people who saw the show in its original airing. Second-generation would be the revival, or would it be the 1980s reruns/VHS releases of the original? If that's the case, revival fans are third-generation, which means... guh! Okay. 1: Original, 2: Revival, 3: Film Revival. In chronological order:

Generation 1.0: Watched the original first at its first airing
Generation 1.5: Watched the original first, but in reruns or on the VHS release
Generation 2.0: Watched the revival first at its first airing
Generation 1.9: Watched the original first in reruns or on VHS/DVD after the revival's first airing
Generation 2.5: Watched the revival first, but in reruns or on the VHS/DVD release
Generation 3.0: Watched the upcoming film first

Anyway, that was a bit off-topic. As a version 1.9, I prefer the original to the revival, but I'll gladly see the movie. The movie, however, will just be a novelty. In my mind, that's not the real Dark Shadows. The real Dark Shadows, to me, will always be the original series, not the revival, and not any of the three films. I will compare it to the original, but hold it up as its own film, as well.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
it was semi-amusing in context.  [ghost_wink]

Oh, definitely!  [ghost_wink]

I tell you, all these years later, those people at the agency are still sitting on my application to be governed by said governess, and I haven't heard diddly. What's up with that?

Have you tried bribery? Sometimes several larger bills passed under the table can work wonders.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
While I didn't get to see the revival when it came out in 91, I had the opportunity to get the VHS set of the MPI episodes.  I was all set to  be as opened minded as I possibly could but,  I could not get past episode 3 or 4.

Ben Cross just wasn't Barnabas for me and what they did to poor Dr. Woodard was criminal!  I think I'm one of the few who did like Barbara Steele's portrayal of Dr. Hoffman.  Could not stand the Willie character and felt they turned him into the village idiot.  The oriiginal Willie was street smart which I feel was the best way to portray him.
The palm trees were a turn off for me.

I'm sure Calif has it's own character but it's definitely not New England with all of it's brooding, mysterious and historical atmosphere.  Perhaps I've read too much Stephen King.

I saw the 2004 Pilot and it was different and I thought had a lot of potential.  The girl who played Vicki was good.  It was a little strange seeing a blonde Vicki. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
The palm trees were a turn off for me. 

There!  See, MB!  Even Miss Winthrop didn't like those frickin' palm trees!  Palm trees!     AAAAAHHHHHH...........!!!!!!!!!  [82b5] [Rant_Emote]

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »
I have heard the 2004 had potential.  I will never understand THE WB throwing 6 million down a drain and not trying to reshot and recast if some of the cast didn't work out.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »
Even Miss Winthrop didn't like those frickin' palm trees!  Palm trees!     AAAAAHHHHHH...........!!!!!!!!!  [82b5] [Rant_Emote]

But I suspect that might be because she has yet to realize just how perfectly in keeping with all the other extremely odd flora of the region palm tress really are.  [ghost_wink]  And to that end for those who may have missed it the first time around, check out:
And as far as palm trees in Collinsport goes, once and for all let's get real -

Also, even though palms would seem to be perfectly suited to Collinsport, so far as I'm aware (thanks to the numerous times they've been mentioned) the palm trees in the '91 series are only glimpsed in one scene for a few seconds in the distance (Midnite posted screen captures in this post:
). It's not like they showed up in every or even every few outdoor scenes - or even in every episode. Faulting an entire series for one brief (perceived) slip up seems a bit harsh, no?  [ghost_smiley]  And the probably more pertinent thing so far as the Depp/DS film goes is that any palm trees that made it into frame for the '04 pilot were digitally removed (no doubt simply because no one realized how truly appropriate they really were [ghost_wink]), so chances are that if the Depp/DS film were to be filmed in CA, and the same were to happen, they would more than likely be removed as well...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
I don't see what there isn't to "accept."  There will never be anything just like the original - it's impossible.  My hope is that since many original fans were able to accept established DS actors as other characters throughout the series, they can accept a new actor in a role created some years ago by another performer.   

The movie has to work on its own merit because there are people who don't know anything about the soap "Dark Shadows" from the 1960s.  Since the kernel of the series is the affair between Barnabas and Angelique, his love for Josette and Angelique's ongoing revenge, that's likely what will make up the new script. 

I'm excited by the possibilities and welcome any new take on the classic series.

Nancy