Author Topic: How do you feel about flubbed lines?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: How do you feel about flubbed lines?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »
And my PERSONAL FAVORITE of ALL TIME is this:

Barnabas: Go to Collinwood and tell them that you saw no one here.
Dirk: Oh, that's great! But what am I gonna tell 'em at Collinwood.
Barnabas: THAT YOU SAW NO ONE HERE!

That gets me everytime. lol

Yeah and this time it wasn't JF who flubbed.

Yeah, he looks at Davis like, "That wasn't MY fault!" LOL!

I know! When this scene played out with Davis JF had this look on his face like "YOU IDIOT!" I mean, c'mon! He JUST told you where to go and what to say, and you still ask what you're supposed to say. At least he didn't say "Where am I to go and what am I gonna tell them when I get there?"--meaning he got HALF of the line.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
So many bloopers, so much fun!!!

I always love it when the window curtain comes crashing down in Tate's studio. Hilarious.

Roger's "100 miles....it SEEMED like 100 miles" and "incestors....ANCESTORS!!!" lines are legendary and funny but you have to give old Louis credit for bouncing back so brilliantly.

Don't know if anyone else remembers this but I remember during the Laura storyline (1967) Joe is on the phone with someone (can't remember who) and says "Tell Dr. Guthrie, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm on my way." That cracks me up too.

I recall little Sarah had a bush stuck to her dress when talking to David one time. And of course someone already mentioned the bush falling down thanks to Adam.

It's amazing we can all still take the stories so seriously yet laugh at the many bloopers....proves what a gem DS really is. We watch for the drama but I think we all watch for the wabbling sets, messed up lines, crashing objects equally so.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 11:00:01 PM »

I didn't notice the bloopers as a child.  They just didn't really register.

I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I don't care for the more obvious bloopers. I find they detract from the fabricated hyper-reality of the show.  Can they be funny?  Certainly.  But I'm not watching the show for the bloopers.  I'm watching it for the characters, the atmosphere, and the storylines.  For me, the more obvious bloopers tend to detract from the escapist horror/fantasy elements I enjoy most about the series.  A minor line stumble is one thing - no biggie.  A crew member audibly whispering lines from offstage is quite another thing though.

I'm *really* in the minority on this one, but I don't mind that MPI trimmed out some of the mistakes.  I prefer that bloopers be on their own reel - preserved for the sake of completion, but not part of the episodes themselves.

When I see the mistakes I feel for the actors.  It definitely gives the show a spontaneous, live feeling but it can hurt the mood they were trying to create.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 11:39:53 PM »
It definitely gives the show a spontaneous, live feeling but it can hurt the mood they were trying to create. 

This is very true.  I remember a Fest where Frid said that he was just mortified w/himself for going up in the scene where [spoiler]Josette & Jeremiah come back and he's told they are married.[/spoiler]He had to wheel & deal w/DC to get them to edit out his mistake, and I'm glad he did because what a heartbreaking scene that turned out to be!   :'(  One of his absolute best scenes ever on DS!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 12:03:30 AM »
As an adult, to me, those bloopers are all part of the charm and campiness of Dark Shadows. Of course, as a child, I never saw it as campy. I did, however, notice some of the bloopers, such as the fly and flats falling down on the sets and the boom mikes, but those were so obvious. The flubbed lines, though, weren't as obvious to my grammar school sensibilities. Still, I'm glad I decided against the DVD's and got the tapes instead. I have the entire series on VHS. I had decided to do that simply because I had heard about some of the bloopers having been edited out on the DVD's. In time, I will collect the DVD's as well. Tapes don't hold up well through time. For now, I'm safe.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »
Didn't Sam Hall say something like one of the writers just wrote too many fancy lines for Barnabas. So the writer was let go. Probobly John has more mistakes because he has more lines than anyone else.  You can tell I stand by John.  :-X
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 11:37:19 AM »
PennyDreadful - We might be in the minority together, because I feel pretty much exactly the same way you do about the bloopers. I don't get the appeal or the "charm". I've always watched the show for the characters and storylines, too. I didn't even notice many of the smaller bloopers (like line flubs) while watching the show because I was so into the story and the characters. Many went right over my head. The crew member whispering lines from offstage....I don't mind something like that being edited out.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 05:02:15 PM »
Didn't Sam Hall say something like one of the writers just wrote too many fancy lines for Barnabas. So the writer was let go.
Yes, he did say that.  I'm betting that it was just after Josette's death.  Barnabas is in the secret room of the mausoleum talking to Ben, and he has a speech full of high-flown stuff, not in the usual Dark Shadows melodramatic way, but idiotic poetical-like.  It's sort of weird and doesn't make much sense.  I can't remember if Frid made any obvious flubs in it, but the impression I got was that he had to have forgotten stuff or it would have made more sense.

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »
"Open the door Magda...CRASH....clingtingpingding......."Open the door Magda"   ;D
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 07:15:11 PM »
PennyDreadful - We might be in the minority together, because I feel pretty much exactly the same way you do about the bloopers. I don't get the appeal or the "charm". I've always watched the show for the characters and storylines, too. I didn't even notice many of the smaller bloopers (like line flubs) while watching the show because I was so into the story and the characters. Many went right over my head. The crew member whispering lines from offstage....I don't mind something like that being edited out.

I understand what you're saying, but to those of us who enjoy the bloopers, it's just part of the whole charm of DS. I've talked to some Dr. Who fans in Australia (the original Dr. Who series, not the new one) who have similar feelings for that show. They wax poetic about some of the flubs and bloopers.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »
And my PERSONAL FAVORITE of ALL TIME is this:

Barnabas: Go to Collinwood and tell them that you saw no one here.
Dirk: Oh, that's great! But what am I gonna tell 'em at Collinwood.
Barnabas: THAT YOU SAW NO ONE HERE!

That gets me everytime. lol

Yeah and this time it wasn't JF who flubbed.  ;D

That IS MY FAVORITE as well! I LOL everytime! I am like RD what the heck?  He said Tell them you saw no one here!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 10:10:23 PM »
Welcome Taeylor! Hope to see more from you.  ;)