Author Topic: OT:  Selby's PBS childrens Program  (Read 810 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
OT:  Selby's PBS childrens Program
« on: July 05, 2002, 08:23:52 AM »
For Those who expressed interest in Selby's narration of the Griffin, there is a West Virginia PBS link:

http://www.griffin-minorcanon.org/
Julia99

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: OT:  Selby's PBS childrens Program
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2002, 08:51:25 PM »
This thing has been in production since at least 1999. Selby recorded his part that year, shortly after finishing up Long Day's Journey into Night at Hartford Stage.

The video includes a featurette about the making of the program. The only actor whose recording session is featured is David Selby's. It also explains the use of multiple types of animation. I've seen a couple of posts where folks had commented that the animation looked rough. It's supposed to look the way it does, and co-producer/animator Brad Stalnaker also explains this on the video. Sometimes he opts for a very minimalist approach in order to draw attention to specific aspects of the characters. This isn't supposed to look like Disney.

The web site Julia99 provided is the official site for the production and includes all of the material that comes in the teaching packet.  The producers received a National Endowment for the Humanities grant, and a lot of time and effort went into perfecting the teaching materials.

The site also includes photos of David at one of the premieres.

If that's not enough to keep you occupied, visit my Selby site (link banner below), and check out the News page for all sorts of links to information about The Griffin and the Minor Canon. I've got some additional photos from the Charleston premiere. I also have some screen grabs on there from the production as well as from David's recording session. His father was present during the session, and you can see his reflection on the glass over David's face. It's a very interesting visual effect, though it was unintentional.

C.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 05:43:50 PM »
Hi, Criseyde thanks for the info on David Selby!!!
             Take Care Anne :D :D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 09:51:56 PM »

It also explains the use of multiple types of animation. I've seen a couple of posts where folks had commented that the animation looked rough.

I think that is what made the animation tie in to the message, "what isn't loved, dies" (paraphrasing). We weren't distracted by technicolor and special cartoon effects that are so common today. Instead, we were drawn into the characters, as I think the director was intending the viewer to do.

One thing I did like about the film was the combined use of traditional sketch/cel animation, with computer animated techniques to illustrate the story. I'd like to see this film featured at more animation festivals around the country. I hope now that it was featured at the DS Fest (and on Selby's and Cris's web sites), it will get more exposure outside of West Virginia.

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 07:06:42 PM »
For Those who expressed interest in Selby's narration of the Griffin, there is a West Virginia PBS link:

http://www.griffin-minorcanon.org/

Thank you Julia99 for the link! I found it very interesting. :)
"Calamity Jane"