Author Topic: Summer, the last golden age  (Read 711 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Summer, the last golden age
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »
As part of his ode to summers past, Don Lee reminisces about begging his mom to let him watch DS. Check out: Summer, the last golden age

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Summer, the last golden age
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »
Loved the article!  It's so, well, nostalgic.  'Twas different back then.  Of course, I and other kids, watched Dark Shadows.  Other than a couple other favorite programs, that was really about it.  There wasn't much to choose from, seeing as there were only three channels (and to get them, you had to turn the big, cluncky knob and sometimes had to also push the button on the rodor in order to swing the roof-top attenna around in order to get better reception).  And when DS wasn't on (we always made sure, no matter what we were doing, to end up at some kid's parents' house to take the half-hour break to watch it), we'd vanish for the whole day on our bikes to our mothers' relief, going down to creek beds, into backwoods, or just flit from backyard to backyard.  Do kids still do that today?  Can they do that today?

Gerard

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »
That article certainly was nostalgic.  I very seldom see a kid on a bicycle anymore.  I still have my old Schwinn bicycle sitting in the garage.  And it has been over creekbeds, woods, old logging roads, other kids homes, etc.  And DS watching was from one house to another, especially if one had a color set during the later years.  If gas goes much higher, I may take my old Schwinn to work.

Positivenergyone

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the link to this article, MB.  Don Lee's childhood is very similar to mine.  I was primarily an outdoor kid except when DS was on!  Initially, I was so scared to watch it but gradually got used to the supernatural characters, the creepy music, etc.  My Mom threatened to turn the tv off if I didn't stop screaming and 2 of my sisters got mad at me.  They were about ready to strangle me.  So for awhile, Mom sent me next door to the neighbors' house while DS was on.  And what did I do over there?  Switched the channel over to DS!  ;)

Concerning today's kids, I agree with Don Lee completely that they are over-programmed and over-protected.  Growing up, I was a latch-key kid, stayed outside running around or riding my bike around the neighborhood, stayed out trick-or-treating 'til midnight at age 12, climbed trees and hung upside down, played with a bow & arrows, hung out at a nearby lake with an alligator (this was in Florida), and now I'm still here to tell about all of it--imagine that!  We grew up knowing about dangers (e.g., not taking rides from strangers, etc.) and also taking on responsibilities (putting dinner on the table at age 12, washing the car, cutting the grass, etc.).  With all the advanced technology (and I appreciate and enjoy it, don't get me wrong), there's still something missing today...