Author Topic: Did Joan Bennett Really Say "Welcome to Hollywood"?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
Did Joan Bennett Really Say "Welcome to Hollywood"?
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Instead of Collinwood in an episode? Is it a rumor, myth, fact?
If true, what is the episode number. I've got to see it!
I've heard about this in the past but I've never seen it.
I think the last time I read about it was in Joan Bennett's biography.

David

Re: Did Joan Bennett Really Say "Welcome to Hollywood"?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:14:07 AM »
Nancy Barrett said she remembers it, but isn't sure if she imagined it or not.
There is an 1840 scene where Lara Parker refers to Collinwood as Hollywood.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:48:51 AM »
Well, it would make sense if Joan sarcastically told Nancy, "Welcome to Hollywood" when referring to the fast-paced production values of a daytime TV soap opera (even if it was shot in New York).
Maybe somewhere along the way, the story got twisted and the quote was turned into an onscreen blooper???

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:14:25 AM »
Ronny G,

I think that "Time Magazine" once ran an article on "Dark Shadows," in which it was reported that Joan Bennett had said "Hollywood" instead of "Collinwood" on the show.

Bob

PS There was another "Dark Shadows" episode in which an actor portraying an undertaker called Barnabas, "Mr. Jonathan," instead of "Mr. Collins"! [ghost_grin] [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:42:51 AM »
If you look at the slate for episode 1, I believe it says "take 4."  I wondered if she blew the line, and they retaped it. I have a feeling they had more latitude to get things right on the first day to set a good impression with the audience.

David

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:47:18 AM »
In one of the DVD interviews, either Nancy or Alexandra, I forget which, said that Joan was the only cast member with the authority to call "Stop tape" if something went wrong.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
Nancy Barrett said she remembers it, but isn't sure if she imagined it or not.
If you look at the slate for episode 1, I believe it says "take 4."  I wondered if she blew the line, and they retaped it.

That's possible. Or Nancy could have remembered Joan saying it in a rehearsal. But at any rate, I don't believe Joan ever said it in anything that made it on air. Or at least if she did, my ears have never caught it.  [ghost_nowink]

Changing reels slightly, with all the recent media coverage over FOX's The OC's 10 anniversary and the endless reminiscences of that show's classic line, "Welcome to the OC, bitch!", when I saw the title of this topic I couldn't help but think what it might have been like had someone, most likely Maggie, said, "Welcome to the CP, bitch!" to Vicki on her arrival in Ep #1? But no, Maggie simply called Vicki a jerk. Different times, different greetings.  [ghost_grin]  But given how DS liberally "borrowed" from several sources, it could be fun to imagine what other sorts of greetings DS might have co-opted from other shows, or perhaps even used before other shows made them famous or infamous.  [ghost_wink]  Does anything come to anyone's mind?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
In her best Eve Arden delivery, Maggie could have sent Vicki off to Collinwood saying I'm sure you'll just have a Yabba Dabba Doo time
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »
yes Nancy says in one of the DVD interviews that perhaps it was her imagination or Joan said it during rehearsal. it certainly never made it to tape. we'd know.

come to think of it did Liz(or anyone, actually?)greet anyone at the door with "welcome to Collinwood"? didn't they just usually say something bland like "hello" or "yes, can I help you?". seems like sort of a pretentious thing to say, calling out the house by name.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.