Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0970  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0970
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
It's probably a good thing that I wasn't watching in 1970 because that would have made me, budding feminist that I was, throw something at my TV.  Shame on Sam Hall for basically saying that a woman's career and the choices concerning her personal life must be separate and distinct paths, and for making his wife (a strong, independent female character) utter that crap in front of the little girls that were watching.

Yeah, well, these writers were far from feminists for the most part. Just look at the way many of the women are treated on the show. With the rare exception of characters like Liz and Judith, males are definitely dominant in the DS universe...

They did have another part for her and begged her to take it (perhaps to play Samantha Collins?), but Somerset had her under contract.  They had a part for her in HoDS too, but she needed more than the week's notice that Curtis gave her and subsequently, the scene was never filmed.  <sigh>

They originally wanted KLS to play Samantha. I have a very hard time picturing her in that role - though perhaps their original concept for Samantha was very different from what she became once Virgina Vestoff played the part because one of the features of good soap writing is to write to the actors' strengths - and Vestoff certainly played Samantha's bitchy side with gusto - a gusto I find it hard to believe KLS would have been capable of pulling off as well.

As for hoDS, it's a shame we didn't get to see Marie Wallace as vamp victim #2, Nancy Hodiak...

Please, Barn, you're going to be crashed out while your friends take on all the shame and assume all the risks.  There's no I must or we must about it.

Barn tends to take credit, even when he has others do his dirty work for him. Just one of his many not so endearing qualities - and one that one would think would have caused someone like Julia to haul off and smack him upside the head on more than one occasion.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
It's probably a good thing that I wasn't watching in 1970 because that would have made me, budding feminist that I was, throw something at my TV.
I see that a troubling message is being sent, but I don't think it would be surprising if Julia was presented with a choice between marriage and med school in the late 1940s.  If Julia was interested in anybody at that time, he was probably something like Barnabas – i.e. charming but dictatorial – and I can easily imagine that if he proposed to her, he would stipulate that she abandon the career she envisioned for herself and concentrate on him.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »
I think Julia would have insisted on doing medicine. Just think her strongest passion brought her to Barnabas.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate